Buying a used Garmin GPS - does lifetime traffic transfer over? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 10-24-2011, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Buying a used Garmin GPS - does lifetime traffic transfer over?

I've heard that lifetime maps does not transfer to a secondhand buyer. Basically, when you connect to Garmin with a lifetime maps gps unit, it will detect that you are not the person who registered the unit and not update maps.

But I'm wondering if Garmin has a way of shutting off lifetime traffic to secondhand owners?

Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 10-24-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossberg View Post
I've heard that lifetime maps does not transfer to a secondhand buyer.
Per Garmin's terms, true.

Quote:
Terms and Limitations

If you purchase a nüMaps Lifetime subscription (sold separately or bundled together with certain GPS models), you will receive up to 4 map data updates per year, when and as such updates are made available on Garmin’s website, for 1 compatible Garmin product until your product’s useful life expires or Garmin no longer receives map data from its third party supplier, whichever is shorter.

The updates you receive under the subscription will be updates to the same geographic map data originally included with your Garmin product when originally purchased (it is possible to use nüMaps Lifetime if you purchased a City Navigator map on DVD and it is used on the same computer you installed the City Navigator maps). In some instances, your Garmin product may not have sufficient memory remaining for you to load an update to the same map data originally included with your Garmin product, in which case you will need to either (a) select reduced map data coverage for your updates, or (b) purchase separately a microSD/SD card (as applicable to your Garmin product) and load all or a portion of the map data coverage for your updates to the card and insert the card into the microSD/SD card slot contained in your Garmin product.

Garmin may terminate your nüMaps Lifetime subscription at any time if you violate any of the terms of this agreement. Your nüMaps Lifetime subscription may not be transferred to another person or another Garmin product.

Quote:
Basically, when you connect to Garmin with a lifetime maps gps unit, it will detect that you are not the person who registered the unit and not update maps.
Honestly, how does Garmin or the GPS know you're not the person who registered it? Does it require a retina scan/finger print verification/urine sample before it will turn on and update? As long as you have the original owners registered info to get map updates, you'll be fine.

Or you can use the work-around

Quote:
But I'm wondering if Garmin has a way of shutting off lifetime traffic to secondhand owners?
No.

Let's say I registered GPS unit. I then upgrade to a new unit 6 months later and give old unit to wife/son/daughter/father/family member/friend to use. You're telling me Garmin's going to prevent them from using the traffic service/device I paid for? And how is Garmin going to know whether device was sold or was given away for free?

You just plug in GPS, turn it on, wait for it to communicate with satellites/receive signal. That's it.

post #3 of 35 Old 10-24-2011, 10:18 AM
7th Gear

Quote:
I've heard that lifetime maps does not transfer to a secondhand buyer. Basically, when you connect to Garmin with a lifetime maps gps unit, it will detect that you are not the person who registered the unit and not update maps.

The Garmin actually has a camera installed in the map. It looks at the operator and compares it to the Interpol/CIA database to verify that you are really who you say you are and not the other you that sold it to you before you said that the you that was using it wasn't you but actually the you before you when you weren't looking at you.

- It is just a car -

2015 CR-V, EXL, AWD
2005 Accord Sedan EX-L AT
(traded - 2009 Accord Coupe 6/6 Black)
2002 Alpine Coach 36MDDS

post #4 of 35 Old 10-24-2011, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by namegoeshere View Post
Per Garmin's terms, true.

Honestly, how does Garmin or the GPS know you're not the person who registered it? Does it require a retina scan/finger print verification/urine sample before it will turn on? As long as you have the original owners registered info to get map updates, you'll be fine.

No.

Let's say I registered GPS unit. I then upgrade to a new unit 6 months later and give old unit to wife/son/daughter/father/family member/friend to use. You're telling me Garmin's going to say prevent them from using the traffic service/device I paid for? And how is Garmin going to know whether device was sold or was given away for free?
Garmin could, if they wanted to, figure it out the same way they figure out a secondhand owner is not the original purchaser when they block map updates. I.e., require you to connect the device to Garmin online periodically and put in some info, e.g., a password that only the registered owner would know. I don't have firsthand experience with these units so I don't know if they do that, but they could.

From the Garmin website for one of their LMT (lifetime maps and traffic) models: "FREE lifetime traffic updates may not be transferred to another person or another Garmin product."
post #5 of 35 Old 10-24-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Garmin could, if they wanted to, figure it out the same way they figure out a secondhand owner is not the original purchaser when they block map updates. I.e., require you to connect the device to Garmin online periodically and put in some info, e.g., a password that only the registered owner would know.
That's why I mentioned that you'll need to have the original registered owners info (i.e. password) to Garmin website to log in and download map updates. If you have the account info/password, you'll be fine. If you don't, well.... don't buy it.
post #6 of 35 Old 10-24-2011, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by namegoeshere View Post
That's why I mentioned that you'll need to have the original registered owners info (i.e. password) to Garmin website to log in and download map updates. If you have the account info/password, you'll be fine. If you don't, well.... don't buy it.
Yeah, then the issue becomes can you get the login info from someone selling their Garmin on craigslist.

OK, so it's clear the map updates require login info. Any secondhand owners of lifetime traffic units who can confirm that Garmin does not require you to periodically connect online to continue receiving traffic data?
post #7 of 35 Old 10-24-2011, 12:54 PM
Puts Ketchup on Steak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamacre View Post
The Garmin actually has a camera installed in the map. It looks at the operator and compares it to the Interpol/CIA database to verify that you are really who you say you are and not the other you that sold it to you before you said that the you that was using it wasn't you but actually the you before you when you weren't looking at you.

Just remember today's jokes are tomorrow's reality.

5/31/11 - 10/1/12: 2011 White EX-L 6/6 coupe w/nav
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Current: 2005 Chrysler T&C, 2007 Altima 3.5SE sedan 6MT
R.I.P.: 2005 Ford Focus ST, totaled 11/19/13
I shift with PEDALS, not PADDLES.
post #8 of 35 Old 10-24-2011, 06:44 PM
Out of Control

Send a message via AIM to xJoeMama78 Send a message via MSN to xJoeMama78 Send a message via Yahoo to xJoeMama78
They control the maps by requiring you to have an account with them to update the maps. Once the serial number is registered with an account it can't be registered with a different account.

The lifetime traffic should transfer. It's simply getting the traffic data from an FM receiver on the power cord.

2008 Accord Coupe EX-L L4 Auto ASM
Clear bra | Tint | T-rex | Injen | Weapon R | Eibach | Enkei | Goodyear | SPC | H9/HIR | Hoen | LEDs | Clarion | JL | Focal | Python

1997 F-250 Crew Cab Diesel 4x4
Tymar | Diamond Eye | Bilstein | Clarion | Fosgate | JL
post #9 of 35 Old 10-24-2011, 09:19 PM
4th Gear

I own a Garmin 255WT which came with free lifetime live traffic. The main thing you need to ensure is that you get the original power cord, since it's also the traffic antenna. I don't see how they can turn off the live traffic, since it's subscription-free.
post #10 of 35 Old 10-24-2011, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85gp4 View Post
I own a Garmin 255WT which came with free lifetime live traffic. The main thing you need to ensure is that you get the original power cord, since it's also the traffic antenna.
Thanks, I was not aware of that. Is it readily distinguishable from a plain car power cord?
post #11 of 35 Old 10-25-2011, 05:08 AM
Carpe Diem

See the little black box attached to the wire? That's the antenna.

post #12 of 35 Old 10-25-2011, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikethegreat View Post
See the little black box attached to the wire? That's the antenna.
post #13 of 35 Old 10-25-2011, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

I picked up a Garmin Nuvi 1300 off CL today. It has that attachment on the cable, but the 1300 is supposed to only be traffic compatible - meaning that it can get traffic with a receiver and subscription. Maybe the seller gave me the cable from another Garmin?

In the Navigation menu, under Avoidances, Traffic is listed. Hmmm.
post #14 of 35 Old 10-25-2011, 08:06 PM

Didn't want to wait for Black Friday GPS specials?
post #15 of 35 Old 10-25-2011, 08:27 PM
Out of Control

Send a message via AIM to xJoeMama78 Send a message via MSN to xJoeMama78 Send a message via Yahoo to xJoeMama78
Quote:
I picked up a Garmin Nuvi 1300 off CL today. It has that attachment on the cable, but the 1300 is supposed to only be traffic compatible - meaning that it can get traffic with a receiver and subscription. Maybe the seller gave me the cable from another Garmin?

In the Navigation menu, under Avoidances, Traffic is listed. Hmmm.
I'm pretty sure the "subscription" is paid for when you buy the cord with the antenna. If you see a car symbol in the upper left then you have active traffic updates.

2008 Accord Coupe EX-L L4 Auto ASM
Clear bra | Tint | T-rex | Injen | Weapon R | Eibach | Enkei | Goodyear | SPC | H9/HIR | Hoen | LEDs | Clarion | JL | Focal | Python

1997 F-250 Crew Cab Diesel 4x4
Tymar | Diamond Eye | Bilstein | Clarion | Fosgate | JL
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.