Front Door Speaker Adapter Questions - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-18-2011, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Front Door Speaker Adapter Questions

Im installing new speakers in the front doors of my 2007 accord.

The speakers are 6.5" Boston Acoustics that come with a speaker adapter from Crutchfield.

What is the best way to center the bracket?

Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-18-2011, 04:15 PM
4th Gear

Just center it over the round part of the hole and make sure the speaker magnet clears. Mark your mounting locations with an awl and drill away.

2006 Accord SE Sedan - I4 - 5MT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-18-2011, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

It just seems like such a tight fit when you place the 6.5" speaker over the grill without the speaker attached.

Do you keep the foam around the inside of the speaker grill installed.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-18-2011, 05:09 PM
4th Gear

You mean that ring of plastic on the inner side of the door trim panel? I used Accord specific Metra adapter rings, not the generic ones Crutchfield sends out, and had to cut about a 1/2" or so off the plastic ring so the door panel would fit with the speaker. If you need to trim it, it's very soft plastic and easy to cut with a razor knife.

See the link in my signature for pictures.

2006 Accord SE Sedan - I4 - 5MT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-18-2011, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Can you give me a link on where to buy the adapters your talking about.

What if I tear of the tabs of the mounting bracket and just use self tap screws to screw the speaker and bracket to the door?

Has anyone had success with these Crutchfield adapters?

Any help would be appreciated.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-18-2011, 09:26 PM
2nd Gear

This adapter does not require any cutting or drilling

2007 Accord EX-L 4Cyl Sedan 5MT
TL rear sway bar 17mm
post #7 of 10 Old 03-19-2011, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I see you have a 2007 accord. Did you use these brackets?

I assume they fit a 2007 even though its listed up to only 2006.

Anybody use these with boston acoustic speakers?
post #8 of 10 Old 03-19-2011, 09:57 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schappy View Post
I see you have a 2007 accord. Did you use these brackets?

I assume they fit a 2007 even though its listed up to only 2006.

Anybody use these with boston acoustic speakers?
Yes, I used that speaker adapter and there was no drilling or centering needed. Just snap in like the OEM speaker adapter and attach your new speakers with screws. I installed JL speakers and there was enough clearance. You might want to compare the dimensions of the BA to the JL Audio TR600-CXi

2007 Accord EX-L 4Cyl Sedan 5MT
TL rear sway bar 17mm
post #9 of 10 Old 05-11-2011, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Silvercord,

I purchased the adapters and the JL Audio 600 CXi speakers and am not getting a flush fit. Did you do anything to make them fit.

When I put them in the adapters the bottom is not flush with the bracket. No matter what way I turn the speaker there still is a small gap somewhere.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-15-2011, 06:26 PM
Acoustics BSEE

I make mine out of MDF, then waterproof it with deadener or resin. I get more mass and less resonance. i won't use plastic to mount speakers.

my MDF rings:

factory comparison with a late 90's Massive Audio CD6 woofer

some tools required - a jig saw and drill are essential.

i find that the holes you cut in sub boxes can be reused for door speakers. here we have 3/4" MDF.

start by tracing the factory speaker mount, then superimpose the new speaker basket outline. determine the outer boundaries of the new mount - making sure you leave ample room for at least four bolts. then mark your driver cut-out in the center - i used the factory cardboard that held the driver for shipping as my template.

secure the wood so you can make your cuts

drill a hole on the inside of the center cut out, and on the outside of any sharp corners

always cut the center out first so you can easily secure the overall piece of wood

test fit your driver

finish cutting out the rest

drill out your mounting holes (driver and baffle) and use t-nuts or hurricane nuts for driver mounting. MDF doesn't work well with standard wood screws.

test fit your piece and use tape to help align the mount. mark your mounting holes so you have a clean cut you need to remove deadener BEFORE you drill - as it makes a mess. use brake-cleen or gasoline to remove deadener from the drill bit.

test fit the piece - if it's good then secure with bolts. in this case, i am using 1-1/2" 8-32 bolts with a nut and washer inside the door. you tighten with a screw driver and socket driver.

start by working a layer of deadener around the inside seam where the baffle meets the door

once it is secure, you can deaden over this piece to ensure it is water proof.

and then wire and mount the driver

lastly, open cell foam around the driver to facilitate a seal against the door panel (i tightened up the gap)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.