XM Radio Receiver - Where is it??? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 03-08-2011, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

XM Radio Receiver - Where is it???

I have a friend who owns a 'Vette that has the XM radio factory setup. Since he has no subscription to XM radio, he cut the wires to the inputs and substituted wires that run from his Ipod head phone jack. Now he can play his ipod through his car stereo system when he goes to the XM radio function. I want to do the same with my '05 Accord. only problem is, i cannot find the XM receiver. Does anyone know where it is located and a general description of what it looks like? I believe it was factory, not dealer installed.

Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 03-08-2011, 03:04 PM
4th Gear

According to factory repair manual, it's mounted to the right-hand wall of the trunk. You'll have to remove the side trim panel. A box mounted by two nuts/brackets.

"Silvia" / 2007 Accord EX 2DR V6 6MT
Alabaster Silver / Grey Leather / 62k mi
XM-Ready / Dual Climate Controls / Non-Navi
Mods: Honda Fogs, HFP suspension and under spoilers, TL 17mm RSB, aftermarket audio [hu/sub/speakers]
To-do list: ...

1996 Accord EX 2DR 5MT (Prior Vehicle)
Heather Mist Metallic / Ivory Interior / 175,xxx mi at sale
Owned 6 years / Original clutch, engine trouble-free.
post #3 of 20 Old 03-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Moved to Audio & Electronics forum

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old 03-10-2011, 09:32 PM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

Just buy an iPod kit, it is easier. Cutting the wires to the XM receiver won't allow you to install an iPod. The Vette is not the same as a Honda. They don't have the same wiring or the same XM tuner.
post #5 of 20 Old 03-15-2011, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

All, thanks for the information. I did find the XM receiver on the right side of the trunk behind the fiber wall. There were 14 wires to the connector. After a day or so of searching (and spending $14 on a useless XM radio manual) I found a full blown manual for the receiver for free. It named the pinouts for the connector. Ultimately, I cut the R+, R-, L+ and L- wires and soldered the auxiliary wires to that. Plugged that into my Iphone...and it's Perfect! So...another $5 for a 10' long auxiliary cable + the $14 thrown away...and I'm home free for less than $20. The ipod kit (~ $100) would be a bear to install as the connectors are under the radio in the dash, behind the storage unit. Too many steps to getting it out. So...anyway, I'm now the expert on XM radio to Iphone/Ipod installation! ;-)
post #6 of 20 Old 03-17-2011, 07:59 AM
4th Gear

If you took some Pics, definitely post a DIY, I think a lot of people would be very interested in learning how to do that.

2008 Accord EX-L W/Navi Sedan in Alabaster Silver

Retired:
2005 Accord EX-L Coupe
1998 Accord EX
1991 Accord LX
1986 Civic DX

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." Leonardo da Vinci
post #7 of 20 Old 03-17-2011, 10:44 PM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmpt View Post
All, thanks for the information. I did find the XM receiver on the right side of the trunk behind the fiber wall. There were 14 wires to the connector. After a day or so of searching (and spending $14 on a useless XM radio manual) I found a full blown manual for the receiver for free. It named the pinouts for the connector. Ultimately, I cut the R+, R-, L+ and L- wires and soldered the auxiliary wires to that. Plugged that into my Iphone...and it's Perfect! So...another $5 for a 10' long auxiliary cable + the $14 thrown away...and I'm home free for less than $20. The ipod kit (~ $100) would be a bear to install as the connectors are under the radio in the dash, behind the storage unit. Too many steps to getting it out. So...anyway, I'm now the expert on XM radio to Iphone/Ipod installation! ;-)
At least it worked for you. Too bad you cut into your factory wiring. It only takes 5 minutes to pull the lower pocket and plug in a harness. Much easier than slicing up the factory wires in the trunk and then routing cables up to your dash for the iPhone, which has no power either. I guess that is working for you since you didn't cut the power wires to the XM tuner.
post #8 of 20 Old 03-18-2011, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I'm not too worried about cutting factory wires. It's not preferred, but not the end of the world either. And yah...the shortest distance to the wires I required was right under the radio. But...and this is a big but, I just didn't want to screw with the dash area. Anyway...for me, the routing of a wire to the trunk was easy enough. The results are excellent and I did it cheap.
post #9 of 20 Old 03-18-2011, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

XM to IPhone/IPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatmanVT View Post
If you took some Pics, definitely post a DIY, I think a lot of people would be very interested in learning how to do that.
I didn't take pics, but the idea is a piece of cake. The key is to find the correct wiring outputs at the receiver connector. If you can do it under the dash, that's ideal. If not...my way worked with great results.
post #10 of 20 Old 12-20-2011, 11:34 AM
1st Gear

Can you tell us what kind of Aux jack you used and which pins to connect of the aux jack are which? I'm looking at doing the same thing. I've got the pinout of the Radio connector and I'm guessing you need to use a 5 pin aux jack to connect R+, R-, L+, L-, and GND. What I'm not sure on is which pins are + and which are -.

I plan on trying this in the next week or so. If no one here has an answer I'll post back what I can figure out if anything. I'll post back DIY style picks of the mod if I can get it working too. Thanks for any info.
post #11 of 20 Old 01-05-2012, 08:21 AM
1st Gear

ipod addapter

FYI, The ipod adapter I purchased (as all others) was supposed to plug into the bottom of my radio. Removing the under radio dash sections was a simple task. If you use caution and "plastic" pry tools you will inflict no damage. There are videos on youtube that will guild you through this. Big However, If you have a factory XM unit, there is no connector on the bottom of the radio. It, as I was told, is "likely found on the back of the radio". I found this to be a deal breaker since you have to pull the hard center dash plastic panel that runs from the top of the radio, to the windshield and houses the AC vents. I was unable to remove the panel without smashing and denting the neighboring padded sections of the dash. This panel has adhesive strips in addition to the clips. Planning to return the item. May go by and ask the dealer for some advise.
post #12 of 20 Old 01-05-2012, 11:18 AM
1st Gear

I was able to get this working through the XM connection. I cut the wiring harness and completely disabled my access to XM radio since I don't plan on paying the subscription fees, but you could easily add a switch that would allow you to change between XM and Aux. I'll post a detailed guide with pics here shortly for anyone interested.
post #13 of 20 Old 01-06-2012, 05:39 PM
1st Gear

I decided to try to install my adapter one more time. I really don't want to tap into my wiring to just get a hard line. I would prefer to have the option to control my ipod/phone from my radio and steering wheel controls, as well as have charging abilities. As I mentioned in my previous post, the connector for the adapter is plugged into the back of the radio due to the factory satellite installed. You can see the white XM connector from under the radio. GTA Car Kits has a great video on how to get to this point . Go to their website and enter vehicle info. For the 03 - 07 Accords, the video will be at the bottom of the order page . Again, if you have factory XM you will have to plug into the back of the radio. It is a white connector. I did find that you can remove this connector without removing the radio. Push the pin as you pull and shake. Then push the original connector up out of the way. Warning, there is very little room for to maneuver the new adapter connector. This is not an option for the impatient. It must have taken 15 attempts to get it to seat. It helps to get a small mirror up there to see how to line it up. Another site ( ) will provide some valuable pics to give you some insite of what you will be dealing with. I can't yet say that I indorse the GTA Car Kit. I've only had it a couple of days. I will say that it sounds awesome, better than CD quality. It allows for ipod/phone control with radio and steering wheel function controls, as well as charging capabilities. The down side is no song or artist display on radio ( you can always look at your ipod/phone) and poor customer service (not the worst, but still poor). Hope this all helps. It is really doable by some one who is mechanically inclined, like myself, but not a mechanic.
post #14 of 20 Old 01-18-2012, 07:44 PM
1st Gear

Getting Started

First I have to say there's not nearly enough documentation on the OEM radio and pinout on the interwebs and while there are a lot of forum posts talking about this project I couldn't find one that really brought it all together in an easy to follow complete manner. After a few days of fairly intensive searching I think I've pulled together enough information to give this project a shot.

***WARNING***
Attempt at your own risk. I take no responsibility for damage to personal property OR personal injury resulting in attempt to complete this project.

Documentation Found

This car came with XM radio and there was a trial period of a little less than a month after buying the car. While XM radio is a pretty nice service, I can't justify the subscription cost for something I use less than an average of 2 hours a day. Even if the car hadn't come with the XM receiver, I think the factory radio would still have the 14 pin connector used for XM. This connector might also be used for trunk mounted disc changers, but I'm not sure about that. After some searching I was able to find this pinout for the XM connector that someone uploaded to install bay at .

OEM Radio XM Connector

A quick Google image search will show you that the tip of an aux cable is the Left channel, the next rung is the Right channel, and the final rung is Ground. I picked up a 5 pin 1/8" audio jack from radio shack for less than $3, part number 274-246. Below is a schematic representation of the jack to be used.

Aux Jack Pinout

Note that with out an audio cable plugged in pins 2 and 3 are shorted together as are pins 4 and 5. When an audio cable is inserted in the jack the cable makes connections to pins 1, 2, and 5 or Ground, Right, and Left signals.

Experimentation/Install
Connection Through XM Radio

The second setup will attempt to tie in the aux jack along with XM radio. If you're going to attempt this project I recommend buying a wiring harness to go between the XM connector and the Head Unit plug. You should be able to find on online for a couple bucks. I don't plan on using XM so I cut the factory harness. If I ever want to use XM I'll just open the console back up and rewire the connection. First I cut the R+ and L+ wires only. When I turned the radio on with the aux jack plugged in I could still hear the XM radio. When I turned the radio up I could hear that there was music coming through the aux jack too. I then cut the R-, and L- wires on the connector and left those disconnected.

Factory XM Harness Cut

Now when I turned on the radio I could hear the music from the aux port pretty well. One thing to note is that the music from the aux jack came through a little softer than the radio or CD player, but the quality is still good. Here's the connection schematic.

Aux Jack Connection Through XM

After taking a little road trip I decided I wasn't happy with the softer sound when using the aux port. So I opened the dash back up and tried a couple things. First I connect the L+ and L- pins together from the Aux port going back to the Radio. This just made the sound even softer, barely audible even. Then I connected the L- to Ground and noticed that the sound seemed to get a little better. So I tied both L- and R- to Ground and sealed everything back up.

Full Connection Schematic

There are a couple more features I've thought about adding, but have not done so yet. First if you wanted to keep the ability to use XM Radio you could easily add a 4PDT (4 Pole Double Throw) switch to this circuit as shown here.

Full Connection Schematic With XM/Aux Switch

These switches come in varying styles, sizes, and prices. You can find them at Digikey.com among other places. You just have to figure out what works best for you.

The other addition I was considering is some kind of ground loop isolation. I've noticed that when I connect my phone to the Aux jack with the charger plugged in I get some humming/buzzing. It's not really noticeable unless I'm listening to something really soft that I have turned up a good deal. I need to do some more research on this option before I decide to go ahead with it or not.

Enjoy and feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
post #15 of 20 Old 01-18-2012, 09:48 PM
3rd Gear

nice job with that, and nice writeup.

for those with an aftermarket stereo, is there any way to modify the accord's stock XM radio receiver to work with the aftermarket stereo? (so that you don't need to buy an extra XM radio receiver w/ aftermarket radio)

2008 6-6
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.