Infinity Reference speaker install tips (long) - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old 01-10-2011, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
2003 I4 Noble Green EX

Infinity Reference speaker install tips (long)

I've finally completed the install of Infinity Reference speakers in our 2003 EX, and my wife is very pleased (this is a big deal you understand, because she ALWAYS finds something to gripe about). I have to admit the combination of these speakers with the stock audio system (6-CD in-dash changer w/o nav) resulted in a significant improvement in imaging, midrange response, and overall clarity.

This entry is meant to fill in the gaps and provide (hopefully) useful info for anyone adding aftermarket speakers, particularly Infinitys. Sorry no photos, but I hope my writing style is descriptive enough to provide the detail.

The stock rear 6x9s were replaced with Infinity Reference 9632cf 2-way 6x9s, with a centrally mounted tweeter. The installation of these brought up the following points:

- Buy Metra 72-7800 speaker wiring adapters so you don't have to hack into your harness. These adapters have a Honda style female plug on one end and the standard small and large slide-on speaker connectors on the other end.
- The new rear speakers were NOT quite drop-in, there is a slight difference in the mounting hole spacing from the OEM units. To fix this, I used a drill bit to slightly "egg-shape" the speaker mounting lug holes. This is far easier than attempting to re-drill the holes in the rear deck.
- The easiest way to remove the rear grilles is NOT to pry them from the top. Climb into your trunk with a brass punch or wooden dowel and a light ball-peen hammer. Tap the ends of the plastic clips (3 white and one black per speaker) and the grill will pop up. Re-seat the clips in their slots in the grille if any become dislodged.
- The tweeters on these speakers can be rotated for proper imaging. I chose to turn them towards the rear window, and set the selector switch to 0db (+3db was way too shrill).
- The addition of the wiring adapters resulted in a longer wire that hung down inside the trunk, I used a zip-tie on each side to anchor this wire to an adjacent part of the wiring harness. This will prevent snagging of the wires when loading and unloading the trunk.
- Overall, the installation of the rears took about 2 hours total.

Now for the front speakers. I installed Infinity Reference 6030cs separates, with a 6.5" midbass in the doors and a 1" tweeter replacing the stock tweeters in the dash. I ran new wiring from the tweeter locations to the doors, since these speakers use separate crossover modules, which I installed in the bottom of the doors:

- The speakers came with some wiring for the tweeters with spade lugs on one end, but it wasn't long enough, also it didn't seem robust enough to snake through to the doors. I used some 22ga transparent speaker wire, with copper and silver color wire to ensure correct polarity.
- I used another set of Metra 72-7800 adapters, but cut them in two. One end (with the molded connector) was installed between the stock speaker harness in the door and the crossover module input. All crossover connections were made with open fork lugs that were both crimped AND soldered to the wiring, heatshrink tubing finished off all lug or spliced connections. The other end of the Metra adapter (with the two insulated female spade lugs) was spliced onto a one-foot section of speaker wire, with fork lugs on the other end. This wire goes from the crossover module to the new door speaker.
- I cut the spade lugs off the end of the supplied cheap tweeter cables with enough length to splice them onto more 22ga speaker wire for the tweeters(all splices were soldered and covered with heatshrink).
- Snaking this length of wire from the tweeter locations to the doors was the hardest part of the install. The passenger side was pretty easy, the wire feeds through the Z-shaped rubber tube between the car and the door with a stiff wire helping to fish it through. The drivers side does not have an open hole from the rubber tube through to the door, they use a large snap-in plastic connector which accepts two wiring plugs. What makes it possible is there are two small (1/4" square) blank areas on the connector that are not covered by the plugs. I drilled out one of the blank areas to allow the wire to pass through.
- the Infinity tweeters are 1" in diameter, which was a slick push fit into the stock tweeter grilles. No mods were needed to the plastic, a couple of dabs of hot glue was used to ensure the tweeters stayed put.
- I used two Metra 82-7803 speaker adapters to mount the 6.5" door speakers in the stock locations. These required drilling holes in the door for the adapter mounting screws. I offered up the adapter to the door and used a metal scribe to mark the hole locations, then center punched them so the drill bit wouldn't "walk" while drilling the holes. The speakers then bolted to the adapters. I used the foam rings that came with the speakers between the adapter and the door, and the foam weatherstrip between the speakers and the adapters.
- The last minor modification was to trim about 1/4" off the inside of the inner door panel speaker "rounds", since the new speakers stood proud of the door by an extra 1/4" from stock and trimming was necessary for the panel to snap back in place on the door. The plastic trimmed was pretty light gauge, so a pair of stout scissors did the trick.
- The installation of the fronts took me about 4 hours per side, freezing my butt off in the garage.

Cheers,
Paul

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.