Noob questions. Advice needed. 4 channel amp or new head unit. - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
View Poll Results: With a budget of $200 to make the sound system louder, what would you do?
Add a 4 channel amp 1 100.00%
Get a new head unit 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 10-27-2017, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Noob questions. Advice needed. 4 channel amp or new head unit.

Hello DA!

I'm pretty new to the Accord world, and need some audio advice.

You can see my 1999 Accord here: Collkid's Free 1999 DD.

Anyway, I recently put decent speakers in it. 6.5' quinn in the front and 6x9 Kenwood in the rear.

I still have the stock head unit.

Honestly, I'm happy with the head unit, I converted it to attach my phone a few years ago (instead of the 6 disk changer). However its not loud enough.

I can tell the speakers have plenty more to give, so I suspect the head unit to be the problem.

Now here's what I was thinking, either keep the stock head unit and get a 4 channel amp, or get a new head unit.

Is it even possible to add an amp to the stock system to make the speakers louder?

What would be cheaper?
Which would be better?
I would be looking to spend $100-200.

What would you do?

Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-28-2017, 07:49 AM
6th Gear

Garage
IMO, a new head unit will give you more power, better options and allow you to add an amp if you need to in the future. $200 may be on the low side depending on what you want, especially considering parts, tax and install on either piece you choose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 Old 10-28-2017, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlee View Post
IMO, a new head unit will give you more power, better options and allow you to add an amp if you need to in the future. $200 may be on the low side depending on what you want, especially considering parts, tax and install on either piece you choose.

You are probably right about price, however, as my build thread says, it is a free car so Im going cheap! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 8 Old 10-29-2017, 06:47 AM
6th Gear

Garage
Depending on where you get the parts, and who does the install, roughly half of budget could be spent before actually buying the radio or amp.

post #5 of 8 Old 10-29-2017, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Depending on where you get the parts, and who does the install, roughly half of budget could be spent before actually buying the radio or amp.
I will be installing everything myself.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-30-2017, 08:47 AM
6th Gear

Garage
The install is pretty basic. Pull the clock to get the single screw behind it, the two screws on the bottom of the trim panel, then the four screws that hold in the radio. You'll need a dash kit and harness. I can't remember if the EX had steering wheel controls of it is was only on the EX-L but you might need a steering wheel adapter also. I would hate to think of how many times I had the radio out of my 6th gen!

post #7 of 8 Old 10-30-2017, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
The install is pretty basic. Pull the clock to get the single screw behind it, the two screws on the bottom of the trim panel, then the four screws that hold in the radio. You'll need a dash kit and harness. I can't remember if the EX had steering wheel controls of it is was only on the EX-L but you might need a steering wheel adapter also. I would hate to think of how many times I had the radio out of my 6th gen!

Yeah I'm not worried about installing it. I've done head units and amps many times. Just trying to figure out what the best option is here.

post #8 of 8 Old 10-30-2017, 09:03 AM
2nd Gear

So, heres how I see it. If you have a stock radio and like that functionality. Put an amp in with a line converter or make sure the amp has high line inputs. 8 lines in 8 out. Works fine. If you already have an aftermarket just add an amp to the back. If its just 4 speakers and no subwoofer then get the 4 channel. if you EVER plan on upgrading either get a 4/3 or a 5 channel or plan on getting a bridgeable amp to add a seperate monoblock....
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.