Dash Cam, with its own battery built in? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
1Likes
  • 1 Post By BlitzMob
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 09-26-2017, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Dash Cam, with its own battery built in?

This week a car behind me, was honking me, when I was making a left turn. There was traffic in front of me. The idiot knew that! Well I made the turn, and then the car that was behind me, cut me off, and went away. I wasn't going to do the road rage thing! That's why I want a dash Cam!

Does anyone know if I can buy a Dash Cam, with it's own battery built in? I don't want to power it with a USB port or a Cigarette lighter, because that would a kluge!

It has to be removable, and I don't want to leave the suction cup on it. They will know, I have it in the Trunk when I stop somewhere.

Thank you in advance, for answering me.

Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-26-2017, 11:16 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinS View Post
Does anyone know if I can buy a Dash Cam, with it's own battery built in? I don't want to power it with a USB port or a Cigarette lighter, because that would a kluge!
Why is it such a hassle that it would be plugged into the cigarette lighter, or otherwise wired to the car's power? Mine is powered via USB plugged into an adapter in the cigarette lighter. The adapter has two ports, so there's still room for another USB-powered thing to be plugged in. And it turns the camera on/off when the car is turned on/off. It's really convenient. I don't have to mess with it at all.

They make battery-powered ones but they don't last very long. Mine has an internal battery but it only lasts a few minutes after the car is turned off. It only has a battery so it will keep recording in night/parking mode if the G-sensor is activated. It's not meant to run the camera for a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinS View Post
It has to be removable, and I don't want to leave the suction cup on it. They will know, I have it in the Trunk when I stop somewhere.
I don't see a reason why you want to remove it every time you get out of the car? Removing and replacing that camera every single time you get out/into the car will get so tedious, you'll start forgetting or just not bothering to do it, and fate will dictate that's when you'll end up needing it most and not have it. Mine is attached to a suction cup and is removable, and when I first got it I would take it off and put it in the glove box before getting out of the car. But I got tired of putting it back in place every day, and having to reattach the power cable to it. So I just leave it there now.

Also, how will "they" know you have it in the trunk...?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #3 of 8 Old 09-26-2017, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

My son had the suction cup. It was a GPS. He left the suction cup in the window. He put it in the trunk when he stopped for a while. A thief removed it from the trunk.

I guess I can get a plastic mount with a suction cup on the dash. You can put the whole assembly in the trunk. That's why I want it with its own battery, so I don't have to connect the wires to it.

post #4 of 8 Old 09-26-2017, 02:23 PM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
I mean, someone could just break into the trunk again and steal the camera. If they see the camera in the window, and they see you stop, a thief is going to try and steal it whether it's in the trunk or mounted on the dash. I was putting mine in the glove box. If someone really wanted it, they would have broken in, pried open the glove box and taken it. After I realized this, I stopped taking it off and hiding it. No one has stolen it and it sits parked, in plain view in front of a city bus stop, every day and overnight. There isn't much point to hiding it when it's gonna be in plain sight when you're driving the car, IMO.

1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black

1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #5 of 8 Old 09-26-2017, 03:08 PM
Out of Control

Take a look at this dash cam, while it has a battery it is not designed to run a long time on battery

Roav Dash Cam C1, Car Recorder with Sony Sensor, 1080P FHD, 4-Lane Wide-Angle View Lens, Built-in WiFi with APP, G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording, Night Mode, Parking Mode [Upgraded Version]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Current Honda vehicles
2010 Acura RDX Turbo AWD/Tech 67k miles - Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 53k miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2005 Acura TSX Auto 208k miles - Youngest Daughter
2013 FIT Sport Auto - 24k miles - Oldest Daughters car
Former Honda Vehicles
2001 Acura MDX Totaled t223k
1991 Accord LX auto sold 185k miles
1995 GSR sold miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI soldr miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold miles
post #6 of 8 Old 09-26-2017, 03:25 PM
4th Gear

Send a message via AIM to BlitzMob
I recently installed a Rexing V1 dashcam using the hardwire kit. I snaked all the wires behind trip panels. Took under an hour. The cam lens is placed right underneath the factor tint. From the exterior you really have to be looking for it to notice it, its not obvious at all.

Its installed full time using the supplied 3M adhesive mount. The unit can still be removed as it can be unclipped from the adhesive portion. All thats really left at that point is a 2" portion of wire from the headliner. They also make suction cup mounts for using it in an additional vehicle, though you will be stuck using the 12v adapter.

I have yet to see any dashcam with built in battery designed for prolonged use. It would need a huge battery...which would make the entire unit way to big and costly.
enne likes this.

2010 Accord Coupe, EX-L V6 MT
post #7 of 8 Old 09-26-2017, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

No, my son had his GPS taken after he parked. Someone saw the GPS Mount on the window. He lives in Berkeley, Ca, there are a lot of homeless people there. You could be right, maybe no one would steal my Dashcam. I'd be taking a chance! I still prefer a Dashcam with a built in battery, but the battery doesn't last that long. How did you mount the USB cable, did you hide it, or is it in plain sight?
post #8 of 8 Old 09-26-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Can you show me a picture of what you did, BlitzMob?

Thank you for all the answers!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.