Aftermarket stereo resetting on startup - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-17-2017, 08:47 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Aftermarket stereo resetting on startup

I am having a strange issue with my aftermarket stereo, was hoping someone here could help me diagnose the problem.

I installed the stereo about a year or two ago, and I'm confident it is wired correctly because it used to work fine in the past. Recently I noticed an issue with my stereo going to the "Initial startup" each time I start my car, as if the battery had been disconnected. However, it is retaining it's memory, all my setting are saved. It simply just shows the "Initial startup" menu and after I press "OK" everything is normal again.

Recently my battery had been giving me trouble, and eventually seemed to die completely so I replaced it. My car was still having trouble starting after replacing the battery and I then realized it was the starter that seemed to be going out so I replaced that as well. Now my car seems to be working fine again and starts up every time no problem.

I figured the weird issues with my stereo were related to the battery/starter problems and assumed it would correct itself once they were replaced, but it is still going to the initial startup menu each time I start the car. I tried to research further, but everything I've read regarding this issue people suggest that the "constant 12v and ignition" wires are mixed up, but I am 100% sure that I have them wired properly.

I used my multi meter just to double check some things, and did notice that when testing the red "ignition" wire, the voltage will drop to 0 when starting the engine and then quickly return to the ~12V range. Is this normal? Could this possibly be affecting the stereo and causing this problem?

This is a general issue not really specific to any make or model of car I would think, but for reference, my car is a 2001 LX 4 cylinder.

Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-17-2017, 01:16 PM

The constant 12v is what you need to test. That is the wire that keeps the memory settings.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #3 of 4 Old 06-18-2017, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03LXV6 View Post
The constant 12v is what you need to test. That is the wire that keeps the memory settings.
Tested the constant 12v (yellow) wire and it has constant voltage, whether the car is off, being started, or running. Also, as I wrote in OP, the memory is retained for the most part. Clock settings and all other settings do not reset, the stereo simply shows the "initial startup" menu each time I start the car, but again, all of my preferences are being saved. That is what is so confusing about this problem.

post #4 of 4 Old 06-18-2017, 11:08 AM

Maybe try doing a hard reset on the stereo is such a feature. Seems more like a setting changed.

2007 EX-L 4DR
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.