Car Alarm with Remote Starter Help - Viper - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 03-10-2010, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Car Alarm with Remote Starter Help - Viper

I'm looking to install a Viper 5902 (First Choice) or 5901 (Second Choice) in my 2008 Honda Accord EX-L i4 with Navigation. I'm wondering what is the best bypass to use. The compatibility wizard says the CANMAX400, CANMAX400DEI, and PKH34 can all be used. Is there a benefit to using one over the other and which is the one most people are using?

Any recommendations on the install would be greatly appreciated (i.e. optional accessories).

Thanks,

Jay

Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-10-2010, 10:21 PM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

Personally, I think car alarms are a waste of money. Whenever anyone hears them, they go ignored. If a thief really wanted the car, they will get it even with an alarm. If you want remote start, Honda makes an OEM remote start that will even control the climate system (which is why people want them in the first place, to warm up their car in cold climates). Aftermarket remote starts can't do that. LoJack is far better since it is a vehicle locator, not an alarm that no one will pay attention to.

But if that is what you want, then read the product descriptions for each product and learn the differences.

post #3 of 10 Old 03-11-2010, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I don't agree with you on the car alarm opinion, but that's all it is, is opinion. The Honda remote start is a piece of junk. You have to use the remote to open the doors and it then shuts the car off, which then requires you to stick the key in and restart the car. With a typical remote start, you just open the door, car stays running and then you stick the key in the ignition.

I'm primarily trying to find out which bypass units people are using and why. I've read the differences but am unsure what the advantages of the canmax are (does the door lock integration make any difference on a Honda).

My friend did installs for years but now does it on the side for friends and family so he's not up on the newest hardware and he isn't sure of what the benefits of the canmax system are and we are just trying to figure it out.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-11-2010, 05:41 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post
Personally, I think car alarms are a waste of money. Whenever anyone hears them, they go ignored. If a thief really wanted the car, they will get it even with an alarm. If you want remote start, Honda makes an OEM remote start that will even control the climate system (which is why people want them in the first place, to warm up their car in cold climates). Aftermarket remote starts can't do that. LoJack is far better since it is a vehicle locator, not an alarm that no one will pay attention to.

But if that is what you want, then read the product descriptions for each product and learn the differences.
I agree with you. That's all I am interested in and I just want to be able to start my car in cold weather before i get in it. Do you know how it controls the climate? And is this available in LX trim models?
post #5 of 10 Old 03-11-2010, 05:57 AM

The CANMAX400 is the best option because it is a immobilizer bypass as well as door lock interface. Wiring is reduced significantly if you go the CANMAX route. I used it with my remote start install and only needed to hook up 7 wires. Both CANMAX models have the same function. The CANMAX400DEI docks into the remote start brain while the other is a separate unit. I have really looked into the advantages of on over the other.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #6 of 10 Old 03-11-2010, 02:51 PM
2nd Gear

The canmax was not available to me through a retailer I get a discount at so I used a combo of the PKALL and the DLPK. The canmax is the best route though. I haven't had good luck with the canmax400dei. I would just use the canmax400.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-12-2010, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romerock View Post
I agree with you. That's all I am interested in and I just want to be able to start my car in cold weather before i get in it. Do you know how it controls the climate? And is this available in LX trim models?
It is not available on the LX models. The remote has climate control buttons.
post #8 of 10 Old 03-12-2010, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayneo74 View Post
I don't agree with you on the car alarm opinion, but that's all it is, is opinion. The Honda remote start is a piece of junk. You have to use the remote to open the doors and it then shuts the car off, which then requires you to stick the key in and restart the car. With a typical remote start, you just open the door, car stays running and then you stick the key in the ignition.

I'm primarily trying to find out which bypass units people are using and why. I've read the differences but am unsure what the advantages of the canmax are (does the door lock integration make any difference on a Honda).

My friend did installs for years but now does it on the side for friends and family so he's not up on the newest hardware and he isn't sure of what the benefits of the canmax system are and we are just trying to figure it out.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Keep in mind that most aftermarket remote start systems bypass the vehicle's immobilizer system making the car easier to steal. So make sure you shop smart to find the proper aftermarket unit that won't completely disable the immobilizer system.

I work in insurance claims and most cars stolen that had aftermarket remote start systems were so poorly done, the installer took the owners extra key and zip-tied it in the steering column to defeat the immobilizer. The thief had no idea, but the key in the column defeated the immobilizer so he could break the ignition with a screw driver and start it right up and drive away. Alarm was useless.

In So CA, alarm systems are worthless because they go off so often that no one pays attention to them, and 99% of the time, they are false alarms. Keep your interior spotless with no visible items and don't make your car look like an easy target.

Personally, I have never understood the need for a remote start. It isn't that hard to put the key in the ignition and turn it. I don't need to start the car from 50 feet away. If you can get the vehicle to drive to you and pick you up in a parking lot, then you might have something. But then, this isn't Knight Rider.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-12-2010, 02:28 AM
Mike

It depends on what you want to do. The door locks, security system, door switches and others are controlled by or send data over the internal CAN bus. The Immobiliser Transponder Transceiver communicates with the ECU via a separate link in the Gen7; this may also be on the CAN in later models.

The CANMAX type of devices learns the ECU to Immobiliser unlock code and reinject this into the ECU to allow you to start the car without a key, not like crap systems that tape a second key transponder inside the column, which is a MAJOR security flaw.

This means is no wiring has to run from the driver door control unit and remote alarm/unlock receiver (inside the drivers arm rest). This is the most elegant system, however if the remote control unit for this system is not secure or is easily cracked or the remote start unit is not correctly set up to disable the running engine on forced entry of any kind then you compromise the Immobiliser and security of the car.

04 - V6 Auto Luxury Accord (Thail build).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Itís easy to be NASTY - Sometimes it takes a little more effort to be NICE.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-12-2010, 06:12 PM
3rd Gear

I have a car remote that can control my accord via a controller. It picks me up and also talks to me.

2006 Honda Accord LX Silver
21,182 mileage
No mods :(
Advertisement

Tags
alarm, bypass, remote starter, viper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.