Need help indentifying connector running to 12V cigaret lighter - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 10-13-2016, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Positive Climb...Gear Up!

Garage
Need help indentifying connector running to 12V cigaret lighter

Hi everyone, I want to install a USB charger into my 2005 Accord. My plan is to have a Y splitter running into my charger and to the cigarette lighter.
Im trying to find the type of connector to buy that kind of adapter online. Thanks for your help!!

Attached Images
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-19-2016, 09:32 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dang Truong View Post
Hi everyone, I want to install a USB charger into my 2005 Accord. My plan is to have a Y splitter running into my charger and to the cigarette lighter.
Im trying to find the type of connector to buy that kind of adapter online. Thanks for your help!!
Make your own. Parts list:
A short length of 12g wire.
Crimp tool
Wire strippers
A pair of 1/4" male spades (yellow to accept 2-12g wires)
4 female 1/4" spades (blue)

5 minutes. Easy peasy.

Did something similar in my RL console, adding a dedicated volt meter in place of an accessory pocket. I'm not a fan of hacking factory terminations so make adapters wherever possible suing heat shrink and soldered terminals. It doesn't need to be that way, crimps work just fine. Its a preference thing.

A few examples:

Name: OneMore.jpg
Views: 53
Size: 74.7 KB

Name: NoCutWires.jpg
Views: 53
Size: 51.8 KB

Also added some raw LEDs inside the "not an ashtray" pocket. Little tweaks are always fun.

Name: EnoughAlready.jpg
Views: 58
Size: 35.0 KB

Name: NightView.jpg
Views: 59
Size: 16.7 KB

Have a bunch of lighting ideas for the Accord. Time is the only challenge.

OR, follow mtts' suggestion and source preassembled parts. WAY easier. Faster too.

post #3 of 4 Old 10-19-2016, 09:42 PM
Out of Control

Garage
Or do this: buy a y-cable with ligher sockets at either end, and buy one lighter socket USB converter thing. No wiring to do at all.

2007 Accord SE sedan; I-4 automatic

post #4 of 4 Old 10-20-2016, 06:35 AM
1st Gear

BTW: I'm sure you are aware of "cigarette" lighter USB converters. A year or so ago, I stumbled across an interesting variation of an adapter I use for travel and such. Something like this might achieve your goal without changing wiring at all. There's a zillion different types:

Being a little freaky about certain things, I do a fair amount of testing. So using a lab power supply, checked meter accuracy of this device before popping it in the Ridgeline:

Name: USB_Charger.jpg
Views: 52
Size: 36.0 KB

Name: USB_Charger2.jpg
Views: 48
Size: 42.4 KB

After using it for a while in the Ridgeline, I grew tired of the wire running from the adapter to the phone, so I hard wired a 5V supply that lives behind the dash and brought the cable thru the air vent. The 2A 5V supply feeds the phone and a dedicated, old school GPS. Now the phone power cable is out of the way at all times.

Name: USB_Charger3.jpg
Views: 60
Size: 58.7 KB

If you need two power sockets, there's product for that too. These don't appeal to me but may be suitable for your application:
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.