keep Alpine Type R or switch to JL W3? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 01-11-2010, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

keep Alpine Type R or switch to JL W3?

My friend wants to buy my type r for about $200 bucks with an m-500 and a ported box. I bought the amp and type r brand new for $250 bucks, but I don't know if I will be able to find a W3 for a good price with an amp.
What are you're experiences with either one and should I keep the type R?

2009 Crystal Black Pearl Honda Accord Coupe
EX-L V6 No Navi
35% tint all around
3M Clear Bra
Blue LED Map and Dome Lights
Kensington Wireless iPod Remote
10 inch Alpine Type R Sub
Alpine M-500 Amp
Retrosolutions 55w 5000K hids Low Beam
Debadged
Clifford 50.7x
Tein Basic Coilovers
SPC 3-arm Camber Kit
TSX Switchblade Key
M3 Lip Spoiler
Zexen Engineering Tail Light Mod
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-11-2010, 11:35 PM
5th Gear

I have a W3 with an Infinity Kappa One amp and my younger brother's got a 12" Type R with that same amp you have, Alpine M-500. His car DEFINITELY hits HAAARRDDDD, a lot more then mine does, but that's what he wanted and thats exactly what I DIDNT want. I wanted a nice bass sound, just not something where I wake the entire neighborhood!! lol

I can't argue with the W3 tho, def clean sounding and hits fairly hard for being a 10" sub. I know Car Toys sells it for $239.99, but I got mine off eBay for $140 or so brand new. If you trust eBay, it could save you some money -- good luck!

2009 Coupe LX-S aka 'Electra'
5-speed
35% tint all round
ValentineOne
V-LEDs Blue LED Dome/Map Lights
Autozone Grille
Infinity Kappa One Amp
Infinity Kappa Four Amp
JL 10W3v3 sub
JL C2 650 components and co-axials
eBay Switchblade
Custom countersunk TL shift knob
post #3 of 31 Old 01-12-2010, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch34 View Post
I have a W3 with an Infinity Kappa One amp and my younger brother's got a 12" Type R with that same amp you have, Alpine M-500. His car DEFINITELY hits HAAARRDDDD, a lot more then mine does, but that's what he wanted and thats exactly what I DIDNT want. I wanted a nice bass sound, just not something where I wake the entire neighborhood!! lol

I can't argue with the W3 tho, def clean sounding and hits fairly hard for being a 10" sub. I know Car Toys sells it for $239.99, but I got mine off eBay for $140 or so brand new. If you trust eBay, it could save you some money -- good luck!
Yeah that was where i bought my sub and amp and I think it was $110 for the sub and $150 for the amp. Ill keep searching around. Thanks

EX-L V6 No Navi
35% tint all around
3M Clear Bra
Alpine M-500 Amp
Debadged
Clifford 50.7x
Tein Basic Coilovers
SPC 3-arm Camber Kit
TSX Switchblade Key
M3 Lip Spoiler

post #4 of 31 Old 01-12-2010, 01:28 PM
Delinquent

Send a message via AIM to EBONY 09
I have a 12" W3 With a TMA 1000watt Amp in a W7 ported box and it hits extreamly hard when I turn up the gain (I have the ajustable knob mounted up front) but is also just perfect at lower settings. I got the sub, amp and box all brand new from ebay for around $400... If I remeber correctly.

09 LX-S
DeBadged
Blacked Out Grill
Intake Res. Delete
6000K HID (Retro Solutions)
No DRL's
HFP Front Lip
V6 Spoiler
Eibach Sportline Springs
25MM spacers in rear
Custom License Plate Bracket
TSX Switch Blade Key
6000k Interior & License Plate LED
Passport 8500 Hardwired w/Smart Button
Factory Alarm w/ Remote Start off Factory Remote
Pioneer Avic N-3 w/Ipod adapter & Steering Controls
JL Audio 12" W3 w/ TMA 1000W Mono Amp
30% Tint on sides, 5% on Rear
TSX 17mm RSB
Fogs
post #5 of 31 Old 01-12-2010, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBONY 09 View Post
I have a 12" W3 With a TMA 1000watt Amp in a W7 ported box and it hits extreamly hard when I turn up the gain (I have the ajustable knob mounted up front) but is also just perfect at lower settings. I got the sub, amp and box all brand new from ebay for around $400... If I remeber correctly.
Nice, I found a local place that said with a new amp and sub it would be around $400 and so I will see

EX-L V6 No Navi
35% tint all around
3M Clear Bra
Alpine M-500 Amp
Debadged
Clifford 50.7x
Tein Basic Coilovers
SPC 3-arm Camber Kit
TSX Switchblade Key
M3 Lip Spoiler
post #6 of 31 Old 01-12-2010, 06:50 PM
4th Gear

Ive had both subs i had a 12" type R with a mrd-m605 and before that i had a 12" w3 powered by a 250/1 amp. The JL was definitely clean but because i have a wall of batteries behind my seat cuz the hybrid system it wasnt enough kick to penetrate the wall it sounded like i had no sub i kept it for a month hopin it would break in n sound better but it didnt. I then bought a type R which sounded awesome. Unfortunately it didnt last long either cuz my cars noise cancellation system sent out a signal to my sub and i ended up going through 4 type R's. Ended up upgrading to a 12" type X. In the end its your choice as to what you wanna do and exactly what you want. Both subs are great JL is definitely cleaner but the alpine without a doubt pounds alot harder. I personally would stick with the type R though

2006 Accord Hybrid
White Pearl w/ Black interior Fully loaded

Current Mods:
Pioneer AVH-P5200BT
Alpine 12" Type-X with Alpine MRD-M605 amplifier
Intake Resonator delete
"Inspire" Fogs w/ 6000k HID
LED interior/exterior lights
Backup camera
Blackhoused headlights
HFP front lip moulded on bumper
35% Tint

Future Mods:
CAI
New speakers and amplifiers
Rims
Lowering
Headlight Projector retro
post #7 of 31 Old 01-12-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas_s20 View Post
Ive had both subs i had a 12" type R with a mrd-m605 and before that i had a 12" w3 powered by a 250/1 amp. The JL was definitely clean but because i have a wall of batteries behind my seat cuz the hybrid system it wasnt enough kick to penetrate the wall it sounded like i had no sub i kept it for a month hopin it would break in n sound better but it didnt. I then bought a type R which sounded awesome. Unfortunately it didnt last long either cuz my cars noise cancellation system sent out a signal to my sub and i ended up going through 4 type R's. Ended up upgrading to a 12" type X. In the end its your choice as to what you wanna do and exactly what you want. Both subs are great JL is definitely cleaner but the alpine without a doubt pounds alot harder. I personally would stick with the type R though
Yeah, my friend has a 12 inch W3 and it seems like it sounds a lot louder than mine. Maybe it has to do with the car build because his is a hatchback and I guess that will make a difference. Maybe I should search for a W6 or W7. haha

EX-L V6 No Navi
35% tint all around
3M Clear Bra
Alpine M-500 Amp
Debadged
Clifford 50.7x
Tein Basic Coilovers
SPC 3-arm Camber Kit
TSX Switchblade Key
M3 Lip Spoiler
post #8 of 31 Old 01-19-2010, 03:25 AM
1st Gear

a w3 will NOT take 1k real watts

and its all preference, do you like it louder? type-r
do you want nice all around sound? W3

Own:
2001 Nissan Maxima GXE 97k
1994 Acura Vigor 167,xxx(transmission = dead)

I WILL have an accord one dayyyy
post #9 of 31 Old 01-19-2010, 02:39 PM
4th Gear

I have a single 12" Fi SSD putting 900+ watts RMS on it and love it! They are very reasonably in price, mine was $200 shipped. A lot of people think I'm running more than 1 and I just smile when they see its just 1. I would defiantly look into Fi the bass hits hard and sounds clean, I know I love mine.
Here's a small video of my setup, it doesn't do it justice but you get the idea.

08' Taffeta White Accord Coupe V6 EX-L 6-speed.
Privat Vulcans (20x8.5 +45mm)
BC Racing Coilovers
SPC 3-arm kit
Videos:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 31 Old 01-19-2010, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
I have a single 12" Fi SSD putting 900+ watts RMS on it and love it! They are very reasonably in price, mine was $200 shipped. A lot of people think I'm running more than 1 and I just smile when they see its just 1. I would defiantly look into Fi the bass hits hard and sounds clean, I know I love mine.
Here's a small video of my setup, it doesn't do it justice but you get the idea.
Thats a sick setup and the sub looks powerful. I never heard of the brand Fi before, but from the video it looks like a good sub.

EX-L V6 No Navi
35% tint all around
3M Clear Bra
Alpine M-500 Amp
Debadged
Clifford 50.7x
Tein Basic Coilovers
SPC 3-arm Camber Kit
TSX Switchblade Key
M3 Lip Spoiler
post #11 of 31 Old 01-20-2010, 05:07 AM
5th Gear

Send a message via Yahoo to PaulD
Several of the SQ competitors are running Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post
Whenever I see a "thumpin" car, the male driver is always alone because no one wants to ride in his car.
post #12 of 31 Old 01-20-2010, 05:16 AM
Dueces Club (22inch Club)

I'm going to purchase a Alpine Type R 15in soon because I want poundage, I hear for bass its really really good.

2010 Honda Accord EX
Mods:
- WeatherTech Digital Fit (BLACK) - LED Int/Ext Blue -SplashGuards - Luminics Blue DRLs - 5% Tint Front/Back - Switchblade Key - LED Tail Light & Sidemarker Smoked - Red LED Turn Signals - Takeda SRI - 10K HIDs - Sarona Eyelids - Inspire Decklid - Magnaflow 14832 (no Resonator) - Shadow.Speed Roof Spoiler - TrendGear Foglights - Nokya Yellow - Debadged - 22x8.5 Fusion Onyx - Nitto NeoGen 235/30/22 -

Updated: 06/19/11
post #13 of 31 Old 01-20-2010, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozco View Post
I'm going to purchase a Alpine Type R 15in soon because I want poundage, I hear for bass its really really good.
Just prepare for rattle coming from the headliner and the rear shelf, but weather stripping did the trick for me.

EX-L V6 No Navi
35% tint all around
3M Clear Bra
Alpine M-500 Amp
Debadged
Clifford 50.7x
Tein Basic Coilovers
SPC 3-arm Camber Kit
TSX Switchblade Key
M3 Lip Spoiler
post #14 of 31 Old 01-21-2010, 04:57 AM
Dueces Club (22inch Club)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vi3t4lif393 View Post
Just prepare for rattle coming from the headliner and the rear shelf, but weather stripping did the trick for me.
I thought they fixed the rear shelf issue with the 2010 Accords?

2010 Honda Accord EX
Mods:
- WeatherTech Digital Fit (BLACK) - LED Int/Ext Blue -SplashGuards - Luminics Blue DRLs - 5% Tint Front/Back - Switchblade Key - LED Tail Light & Sidemarker Smoked - Red LED Turn Signals - Takeda SRI - 10K HIDs - Sarona Eyelids - Inspire Decklid - Magnaflow 14832 (no Resonator) - Shadow.Speed Roof Spoiler - TrendGear Foglights - Nokya Yellow - Debadged - 22x8.5 Fusion Onyx - Nitto NeoGen 235/30/22 -

Updated: 06/19/11
post #15 of 31 Old 01-21-2010, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozco View Post
I thought they fixed the rear shelf issue with the 2010 Accords?
I have a 2009 but I don't know if they fixed it for the 2010 version.

EX-L V6 No Navi
35% tint all around
3M Clear Bra
Alpine M-500 Amp
Debadged
Clifford 50.7x
Tein Basic Coilovers
SPC 3-arm Camber Kit
TSX Switchblade Key
M3 Lip Spoiler
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.