FAQ: 7th Gen Accord Aux Audio Input/Audio Accessories/iPod & Zune Connection Kits - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 80 Old 12-05-2009, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

FAQ: 7th Gen Accord Aux Audio Input/Audio Accessories/iPod & Zune Connection Kits

I decided to do this FAQ to explain all the auxiliary audio options for the 7th Generation Accord. It seems quite often that DA.net gets questions from members that may be unfamiliar with the search option. This topic remains popular, and has been discussed many times. So this post can explain all the options available, including installation instructions.

Does the Accord have an Auxiliary Audio Input?
Yes. The 2003 and later models have a 14-pin connector for a variety of audio accessories. Honda offers 4 audio accessories: Cassette Deck, 6-Disc In-Dash CD Changer, WMA/MP3 CD Player, and an 8-CD External Changer. These are offered as “Dealer-Installed” Accessories. These accessories are installed as a replacement for the lower pocket, using the Honda Audio Attachment Kit, Part 08B06-SDA-100. XM-Ready Stereos also require the 2-port Bus Cable, Part 08A31-0F1-000.

Cassette Deck

6-Disc In-Dash CD Changer

WMA/MP3 CD Player

Installation Guide for the Honda Cassette/6-CD/MP3 Player Accessories
Coupe and Sedan

8-CD External Changer

Installation Guide for the Honda 8-CD External Changer
Coupe (Trunk Installation)

Sedan (Trunk Installation)

Coupe and Sedan (Center Console Installation)

External 8-CD Changer Installed w/Pics

Can the Auxiliary Audio Input be used for other Audio devices, such as an MP3 Player, Apple iPod/iPhone or Microsoft Zune?
Yes. Third-party companies offer Auxiliary Input Converters, iPod/iPhone Connection Kits, or Zune Connection Kits

What is an Auxiliary Input Converter?
This is the most cost effective method for adding your own audio device. They range in price from $49 to $89, and they convert the 14-pin connector to a stereo RCA input for any audio device. An RCA to Mini-plug patch cable is needed for connecting your portable music device. These devices were originally designed for adding an aftermarket CD changer (typically a Sony model), and some still offer that option. These devices will appear as an external CD changer on the Accord stereo. These devices are an audio-only connection (unless used for controlling a CD changer). They will not allow you to control your portable audio device from the factory stereo, or provide power. Read the product descriptions carefully as some may require the XM tuner (if equipped) to be disconnected. If you have Navigation, make sure you find one that is compatible with Navigation/XM. The example below is Navigation/XM compatible since it includes the additional pass-through 14-pin connector.

Auxiliary Input Converter

What is the difference between an Aux Input Converter and an iPod Connection Kit?
An iPod Connection Kit provides power to the iPod and allows you to control the iPod from the stereo and steering wheel controls (if equipped). Depending on the model chosen, you can skip tracks, choose playlists, artists, albums, or turn shuffle on or off. If your Accord is equipped with XM, you can also display text from the iPod on the stereo or Navigation LCD/Upper Display. Most iPod Connection Kits also include an additional Aux Input for connecting an additional audio source. Read product descriptions carefully. Make sure they are Navigation/XM compatible if your Accord is equipped with Navigation/XM. If your Accord is not equipped with XM, you cannot display text from the iPod.

Typical iPod Connection Kit

How can I tell if my Accord has XM?
2003 Accords do not have XM Radio. XM was added in 2004. Look at the CD button on your stereo. If it does not have XM, it will say CD/AUX. Non-Navigation stereos will have a button labeled CD/AUX/Sat Radio or CD/AUX/XM. Navigation stereos will have a button labeled CD/Sat Radio or CD/AUX/XM. If your stereo is not XM-Ready, the iPod Connection Kit will emulate an external CD Changer, without text display.

Non-Navigation Stereos with XM Radio:

Navigation Stereos with XM Radio:

Non-Navigation and Navigation Stereos without XM Radio:

Where can I buy an Aux Input Converter, and who makes them?
The best selection is at Log Jam Electronics. Vendors include Soundgate, Blitzsafe, and PIE

Where can I buy an iPod Connection Kit, and who makes them?
There are many different vendors to choose from. Each site provides information for purchase:
USASpec

Dice Electronics

Soundgate, Blitzsafe, and PIE

Neo

iSimple Media Gateway (formerly known as the Peripheral PXAMG). iSimple requires an XM stereo.

Why are the Blitzsafe iPod Connection Kits cheaper?
The Blitzsafe iPod kits will only charge the iPod and provide a direct line-input connection. They do not offer any stereo control of the iPod, or text display. You can only control the iPod from the iPod itself.

Do any of the iPod Connection Kits offer HD Radio?
Yes, the PXAMG Media Gateway offers an optional HD Radio kit. Dice Electronics also offered an HD kit, but it is no longer displayed with the iPod kits (their website recently changed). Not sure if Dice still has that option.

Is there a connection kit available for the Microsoft Zune?
Yes. The Soundgate kit will provide power to the Zune and allow you to control the Zune from the stereo and/or steering wheel controls. However, the Zune was not designed to send text information through its dock connector, so it cannot display text on your stereo.

Are these kits easy to install?
Yes they are. Without Navigation, you only have to remove the lower pocket to access the 14-pin connector. With Navigation, you must remove the stereo to access the 14-pin connector. Some early non-Navigation stereos had the 14-pin connector on the bottom, making them very easy to access. Later models moved the connector to the back, as shown in the photo.

Non-Navigation stereo

Navigation stereo

Are there directions for installing the kits?
Yes. The Honda MusicLink Installation Guide offers the best step-by-step guide for removing the lower pocket and the stereo. Just follow steps 1-30 in the guide to remove the lower pocket and stereo, and ignore the other steps. I used a wire coat hanger to make my own “hook” tool for pulling the lower pocket and removing the upper dash panel (Navigation only) as described in the guide.

How about a visual guide?
Yes. DA.net’s very own BeaufordBuddy provides a visual guide for installing a kit in his non-navigation Accord.

Where should I install the Aux Input Converter or iPod Module unit?
There is plenty of space behind the lower pocket for the module. The right side inside panel is an excellent location. Using double-sided tape, you can stick the module to the side panel and it won’t interfere with the lower pocket.

Dice Electronics iPod module installed on the inside panel

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hillstones For This Useful Post:
ChrisNCFC (09-02-2014), projectEx (04-08-2014), speedkar9 (04-09-2016)
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 Old 12-05-2009, 10:21 PM Thread Starter

Where should I install my iPod or MP3 Player?
Some people have used the lower pocket as a storage area for their music player while others have routed the cable to the center console storage area. The glove box is another option as well. You can also buy a mount from ProClip USA and mount your music player on your dash or next to the lower pocket. It is up to you. Kuda USA makes fancy leather-wrapped mounts if you want a more luxurious look.

iPod installed in the center console. A perfect fit on the upper console shelf

My Accord doesn’t have XM or Sirius Radio. Can I add an XM/Sirius radio using an Aux Input Converter or iPod Connection Kit?
Yes. You can connect an XM or Sirius radio to the Aux Input Converter or Aux Input on an iPod Connection Kit. You will need to provide separate power to the XM/Sirius radio, using the power adapter included with the radio. No text is displayed on the factory stereo since it is an audio-only connection, and control is from the XM/Sirius radio only. The lower pocket is a perfect location for an XM/Sirius radio. I installed a Delphi XPressRC XM Radio in my lower pocket and it is connected to the Aux Input on my Dice Electronics iPod Kit.
Delphi/Audiovox XpressRC XM Install

What will my stereo display with either of these kits?
Without XM, the stereo will display CD-C for external CD changer operation. Some kits may advance track information (iPod Kits), others may show dashes (Aux Input Converters).

With XM, the stereo will display the iPod as an XM tuner and display text information. For non-navi models with XM, the stereo will display a single line of text. Pressing the Display button (non-navigation models) or the Audio button (navigation models) will toggle the display information. The photo below is the iSimple Media Gateway kit.

So there is your ultimate guide to adding Honda Audio Acessories, an Aux Input Converter, or an iPod/Zune Connection Kit to your Accord. The 8th Generation (2008 and newer) models have the same 14-pin connector, and are compatible with most of these kits as well. Hopefully this will provide useful information and possibly become a sticky thread for those that seek the information.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hillstones For This Useful Post:
ChrisNCFC (09-02-2014), Moose412 (03-14-2015)
post #3 of 80 Old 12-05-2009, 10:23 PM
3rd Gear

You are the man. This is a great thread and must be an instant sticky!

07 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 w/o Navi
Graphite Pearl

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X991 (Head Unit)
Kenwood KAC-819 (Old Amp, Need More Power!)
Rockford Fosgate Punch HX2 (10" sub, D2)

More to come...

post #4 of 80 Old 12-05-2009, 10:30 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayerfan86 View Post
You are the man. This is a great thread and must be an instant sticky!
+1,000,000

2004 Nighthawk Black Pearl/Black Honda Accord EX-L Coupe
Only Mods Thus Far...
LED License Plate Lights.
LED Interiors - Ambient Light, Dome,
Ceiling, Glove box, Doors and Trunk.
Accord Branded All-Weather Mats
OEM Splash Guards
20% Window Tint Rear Windows

Wish List
Short Ram Intake
Wheel Spacers
OEM Fog Lights
Trunk Tray WITH cargo Net :)

I aim for nicer, not ricer.
post #5 of 80 Old 01-02-2010, 11:24 AM
5th Gear

Wow! What a helpful and informative resource for all 7th gen Accord owners who have questions about this topic. Thanks for taking the time to create such a wonderful FAQ. I use the USA Spec unit and am very happy with it.

2007 Accord Sedan EX 5MT Graphite Pearl
post #6 of 80 Old 01-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Texas Ground Pounder

Garage
Very nice write up. Very helpful and hopefully will answer a lot of questions for people. Another mount you might want to add is the Kuda mount. Kudausa.com Color matched leather wrapped for around $60.

2003 Accord EX Sedan V6 Auto NAVI (Noble Green Pearl)
Mods:Fog Lights-front & rear TL sway bar-V6 MT shock tower bar-AEM V2-Magnaflow cat-back-Window & Moon visors-Kaminari Lip Kit-Bug Shield-CUSCO Type II TSX Lower brace-Enkei EV5 wheels-Trans Cooler
Audio/Video:audio under construction-KP window up, one touch moonroof, mirror tilt-Dice iPod-Rear Camera-TVandNav2go Video
Wish List:Air Ride-Charger
post #7 of 80 Old 01-03-2010, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity Coyote View Post
Very nice write up. Very helpful and hopefully will answer a lot of questions for people. Another mount you might want to add is the Kuda mount. Kudausa.com Color matched leather wrapped for around $60.
Done. Thanks for the tip...those are quite fancy.
post #8 of 80 Old 01-04-2010, 01:39 AM
Texas Ground Pounder

Garage
Yep, nice though. I really like mine.

Mods:Fog Lights-front & rear TL sway bar-V6 MT shock tower bar-AEM V2-Magnaflow cat-back-Window & Moon visors-Kaminari Lip Kit-Bug Shield-CUSCO Type II TSX Lower brace-Enkei EV5 wheels-Trans Cooler
Audio/Video:audio under construction-KP window up, one touch moonroof, mirror tilt-Dice iPod-Rear Camera-TVandNav2go Video
post #9 of 80 Old 01-04-2010, 05:11 AM
Reverse Gear

Very nice....it does seem like lately there is just way too many questions about iPod integration.

Some one needs to make one up for 8th gen.

2004 Accord CPE EX-L, k24a4 5-speed -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 MB C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan, M271 6-speed - CURRENT
post #10 of 80 Old 01-05-2010, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUS777 View Post
Very nice....it does seem like lately there is just way too many questions about iPod integration.

Some one needs to make one up for 8th gen.
The 8th Gen has the same 14-pin aux connector that is sometimes occupied with the XM/Navi system. The same options available for the 7th will work with the 8th, and there is a sticky for stereo removal for the 8th gen.
post #11 of 80 Old 01-05-2010, 01:55 PM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to vasekvi Send a message via Yahoo to vasekvi
Great thread. I wish I had this to reference when I was piecing my iPod integration and bluetooth handsfree /stereo setup.
post #12 of 80 Old 02-05-2010, 05:48 PM
1st Gear

Hi, I love the read. I just have a question. I'd like to add the Aux so I can add my MP3 player but I'd also like to add a rca line converter so I can RCA's to my amp and connect my sub. I read that you can hook up the line converter to the speaker wires in the trunk or do I have to hook it up to the HU?

Thanks
post #13 of 80 Old 02-05-2010, 06:39 PM
Texas Ground Pounder

Garage
RCA Converters or Line Level Adapters can be connected anywhere along the path of the speaker wire. All it is doing is tapping in to the amplified signal from the HU and reducing it down to the low level needed for an amp. Just make sure you keep the polarity in sync.

post #14 of 80 Old 02-05-2010, 07:14 PM
1st Gear

How do I know what color wire in need to splice into from the trunk? I would like to do that instead of running wires back to the trunk. I've hooked up a LOC before but it was next to the HU and I had a wiring diagram. Also is there something on the market that has an LOC and an AUX hook up?

Thanks for the feedback.
post #15 of 80 Old 02-05-2010, 10:20 PM
Texas Ground Pounder

Garage
Well, since you don't have info listed anywhere on what you have exactly, I can't be sure of your wire codes. 7th gen? 8th? If it's a 7th, then the codes are as follow:

Left Rear + = Blue/White
Left Rear - = Blue/Black
Right Rear + = Pink
Right Rear - = Blue/Yellow

I haven't personally seen anything on the market that has both LOC and AUX combined. Their two completely different things. One is converting an output, the other is converting an input.

Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.