FAQ: 7th Gen Accord Aux Audio Input/Audio Accessories/iPod & Zune Connection Kits - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #16 of 80 Old 02-06-2010, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

Let's keep the thread on topic to Aux Input Converters and iPod Connection Kits. Discussions about Line Level Converters should be a separate topic in the Audio and Electronics forum. Let's not confuse others with Line Level Converters, which have nothing to do with Aux Input Converters.

Advertisement

post #17 of 80 Old 03-03-2010, 08:31 AM
My First Post

This is the best post ever! Thank you so much!

post #18 of 80 Old 03-09-2010, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstuff View Post
This is the best post ever! Thank you so much!
No problem. It is a topic that is discussed many times over, so a FAQ was necessary.

post #19 of 80 Old 03-09-2010, 10:46 PM
My First Post

Can someone tell me about the 6th gen options?

It seems that there are two different types of stereos for the 6th gen that i have noticed (atleast on ebay)

and

Anyways i have the stero with the cassette. I do not believe that the 6th gen has aux is that correct, so an adapter like this would be needed?

I guess these are some restrictions for this solution

"Factory radio must have a button labeled "CD".
You will need to disconnect the external factory CD changer, if you have one, and connect the new adapter in its place.
The factory radio must not have a built-in CD changer.
Adapter plugs into the factory radio."

I do not know if this will work with 6th gen? Can someone clarify for me.

However i am looking for an even cheaper solution. Some sort of jimmy rig cheap way. My CD player doesnt work in the first place, whenever i insert a CD it wont read it, nothing plays, the little light just blinks (i guess thats another topic if someone wants to point me in the right direction. Could it have something to do with entering a code?) Radio works fine btw.

Anyways back on topic. Could wires be cut using the existing CD input or cassette input and using this wire:

cut the end and tape em together to allow me to play from an mp3 player?

Thanks for the help.

Edit: Well i found this info: this does require a bit more work but id have to open up the bad boy and see if i can find anything similar

post #20 of 80 Old 03-10-2010, 04:11 PM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to nodrog321
so i have been looking at the visual tutorial () but i have a quick question, is there anything i should do before i start the process of disassembling to install the aux? like disconnect the battery or that sort? I will be picking up my 07 accord in a few days and would like to install this asap. thanks!
________
post #21 of 80 Old 03-10-2010, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmmo View Post
Can someone tell me about the 6th gen options?

It seems that there are two different types of stereos for the 6th gen that i have noticed (atleast on ebay)

and

Anyways i have the stero with the cassette. I do not believe that the 6th gen has aux is that correct, so an adapter like this would be needed?

I guess these are some restrictions for this solution

"Factory radio must have a button labeled "CD".
You will need to disconnect the external factory CD changer, if you have one, and connect the new adapter in its place.
The factory radio must not have a built-in CD changer.
Adapter plugs into the factory radio."

I do not know if this will work with 6th gen? Can someone clarify for me.

However i am looking for an even cheaper solution. Some sort of jimmy rig cheap way. My CD player doesnt work in the first place, whenever i insert a CD it wont read it, nothing plays, the little light just blinks (i guess thats another topic if someone wants to point me in the right direction. Could it have something to do with entering a code?) Radio works fine btw.

Anyways back on topic. Could wires be cut using the existing CD input or cassette input and using this wire:

cut the end and tape em together to allow me to play from an mp3 player?

Thanks for the help.

Edit: Well i found this info: this does require a bit more work but id have to open up the bad boy and see if i can find anything similar

If your 6th Gen stereo has CD changer controls, it will have an external CD changer port in the back. Then you can use any kit that is compatible with your year model Accord.

If the stereo has a built-in 6-CD changer, it will NOT have an external CD changer port in the back and you cannot use any Aux or iPod connection kit. You would be better off replacing the stereo since your 6th Gen has a standard double-DIN opening.
post #22 of 80 Old 03-10-2010, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrog321 View Post
so i have been looking at the visual tutorial () but i have a quick question, is there anything i should do before i start the process of disassembling to install the aux? like disconnect the battery or that sort? I will be picking up my 07 accord in a few days and would like to install this asap. thanks!
Yes, disconnect the battery. If your Accord has the 6-CD changer built-in, make sure you have the Anti-Theft Code handy. Single CD stereos don't have theft codes. I don't know what trim level Accord you purchased.

After you disconnect the battery, you will have to manually release the transmission if you have an automatic. There is a small rectangular trim panel next to the P on the transmission. Use a small flathead screw driver and remove the trim piece. Insert your ignition key in the slot and push to release the interlock so you can shift out of Park to remove the lower pocket. Make sure your emergency brake is set so the car doesn't roll.
post #23 of 80 Old 03-11-2010, 12:08 PM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to nodrog321
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post
Yes, disconnect the battery. If your Accord has the 6-CD changer built-in, make sure you have the Anti-Theft Code handy. Single CD stereos don't have theft codes. I don't know what trim level Accord you purchased.

After you disconnect the battery, you will have to manually release the transmission if you have an automatic. There is a small rectangular trim panel next to the P on the transmission. Use a small flathead screw driver and remove the trim piece. Insert your ignition key in the slot and push to release the interlock so you can shift out of Park to remove the lower pocket. Make sure your emergency brake is set so the car doesn't roll.
i see. i will be getting a LX auto. so i wouldnt need to worry about having to input a radio code after i disconnect the battery right? thanks!
________
post #24 of 80 Old 03-11-2010, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrog321 View Post
i see. i will be getting a LX auto. so i wouldnt need to worry about having to input a radio code after i disconnect the battery right? thanks!
Correct.
post #25 of 80 Old 03-15-2010, 03:23 PM
My First Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

Is disconnecting the battery necessary if I'm going to install an ipod connection kit for connecting an mp3 player? I'd only be gaining access to the back of factory-installed radio to plug it in.
post #26 of 80 Old 03-20-2010, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenWA View Post
Is disconnecting the battery necessary if I'm going to install an ipod connection kit for connecting an mp3 player? I'd only be gaining access to the back of factory-installed radio to plug it in.
They always recommend it as a pre-caution. It can be done while the battery is connected. However, the last time I was in that area to install my XM radio in my cubby, I managed to blow a fuse without realizing it. You have to disconnect the 12v accessory to remove the panels in the area. instead of using the manual release for the shifter, I turned the key on and pushed the brake to release the transmission. Once you do that, you cannot turn the key off. Somehow I grounded out the 12v accessory since the harness plug was exposed and blew the fuse. I didn't realize what I had done since I had done it many times before without a problem. I thought I fried something, then checked the fuses.

So you can leave the battery connected, but use the manual release for your transmission shifter. There is a small square trim panel next to the P. Pop that out with a small flathead screwdriver and push your key in the slot. That will release the transmission without turning on the key and pressing the brake. With the key off, the 12v accessory won't have power and you shouldn't risk blowing a fuse. Just plug in your iPod kit, test it first, then reassemble.
post #27 of 80 Old 04-19-2010, 12:45 AM
2nd Gear

Hey, first of all, great thread. But, I do have a question. I bought the iSimple from Best Buy and tried to install it on my '06 EX. After I connected the input, my iPod charges, but somehow nothing else happened. I found no place to insert the 14-pin plug. Can you help, please? Thanks.

2006 Alabaster Silver EX. 2.4L / AT
post #28 of 80 Old 06-12-2010, 11:28 AM
1st Gear

Another successful install!!

First, thanks for the excellent thread hillstones. Finding this thread is what convinced me to do this.

I have a 2007 Accord LX V6 (no nav, no XM), with the 6 CD in dash changer. I bought the car last December when it was coming off lease.

I ordered the AUX adapter from Grom Audio below:

They have 4 cable choices: RCA, iPod, and two 3.5MM male cables.

"3.5MM male to male 6 FT cable"
"3.5MM male to male recessed 4 FT cable"

It was not obvious what the difference was between the 2 3.5MM cables. I wasn't sure what "recessed" meant in the description. I ordered the "recessed" cable. I don't have first cable to compare against, but the overall diameter of this cable may be smaller than I'm used to seeing. Also, the "4 FT" cable was really only about 3 feet in length. I figured if this "recessed" cable is not what I wanted, then Radio Shack would have a suitable replacement.

The description on the Grom web page said the 6 CD in-dash changer will still work. And I can confirm that it does.

The install went per the description in the links above. No real problems at all.

The unit works fine and sounds very good. As a test source, I was using my wife's MP3 player which I am not very familiar with. This unit has numerous equalizer settings available and some sounded good, some not so good. So I think the AUX adapter is working as advertised and I would just need to play with the signal source to dial in the sound I like.

Overall, a successful project and it only sent me back about $73 total which included shipping.

And now to patiently wait for my new Polk speakers to show up...
post #29 of 80 Old 06-15-2010, 04:20 PM
1st Gear

So I have an '04 EX-L V6 Manual with the premium sound package, no navigation. I'm looking at this item:

I like it because it has both an iPod dock connector for integrated controls, but also a 3.5mm AUX jack which I can use with my Zune or laptop or other device. Has anybody bought one of these particular models and installed them? Do I lose usage of my CD changer, or just when the iPod is plugged in and active?
post #30 of 80 Old 06-19-2010, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronK View Post
Hey, first of all, great thread. But, I do have a question. I bought the iSimple from Best Buy and tried to install it on my '06 EX. After I connected the input, my iPod charges, but somehow nothing else happened. I found no place to insert the 14-pin plug. Can you help, please? Thanks.
Your EX must have XM radio for the iSimple to work. Look at the pics at the beginning of the thread. I show pics of the 14-pin connector on the back of the stereo, for both Non Nav and Nav.

Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.