DIY Gen7 Speaker Install (56k beware) - Drive Accord Honda Forums |
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 11-21-2009, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
i VTEC, Do you?

Send a message via AIM to alabastardAV6
DIY Gen7 Speaker Install

My endeavor in car audio. DIY style.

What you need: Trim tool, Phillips screwdriver, Small flathead screwdriver, Drill, Common sense
Speakers and spacers. I used Alpine Type S (SPS-17C2 2-Way) and 1/2" Spacers. (Previously Pioneer TS-A1673R 3-Way)
Optional: Dynamat Extreme or sound dampening, EPT foam tape

Remove the sail panel by prying the top with your hands and then pulling the bottom up and out.
Remove handle cover with small flathead to access 2 screws. Remove screws.
Pull up rubber pad in door grip. Remove screw.

Pop the clips on the door panel beginning from the back corner to the front.

Panel should be loose now, pull panel up and over the door knob, (door actuators should be locked).
Don't get crazy and yank the door panel away yet, there are still cables and wires connected.

Remove door handle cable. Held on by a clip and grommet. The clip on the cable swings out to the left or right, and then pull the cable/pin out of the hole.

Remove power locks/window cable, use a flathead if you can't get in off by hand, there is a tab in the center that must be pushed in to release. Its easier to work if you position the panel so the side that faces the front of the car is facing up. Use some phone books to prop up the panel. Remove courtesy light bulb by turning counter-clockwise.

Remove stock speaker by pressing in top clip, then lifting the two bottom tabs up then out, otherwise you will break some if you just yank them.
Apply Dynamat, attach spacer with drilled screws. Make sure to center the hole. Apply Ept foam to spacer, to seal speakers and reduce vibration. Attach adaptors or wiring.

Install speakers. Test to make sure they work, nothing sucks more than having to pull the panel again if they don't.

The rubber weatherstripping on the panel fits on that metal ledge.
Reattach door lock/window wire. reattach courtesy light. Remember to reattach door release cable, otherwise your door won't open from the inside.

Reassembly, put the front section on the first ledge, then the back up and over the door lock knob.

Reattach clips with firm push to 7 clip locations.

Reattach screws, the 2 wide head ones attach to the door handle, don't over tighten. Replace cover. Reattach screw making sure to line up with metal tab underneath. Replace rubber pad. Sail panel, bottom tab clipped in first, then upper clip.

Admire your work, and enjoy the music, instead of noise.
The Alpines sound great, they replaced the aftermarket Pioneers I had in there, the highs were a little too much for me. The stock speakers are junk. Looking into getting an amp. any suggestions? I have Pioneer 3 ways in the back, will probably swap those out soon, since they are messing with the imaging.

2007 Alabaster Silver AV6 Sedan

35% Front 20% Rear Tint, AEM V2 CAI, TCSportline STB, Ingalls Engine Torque Damper, TL Rear Swaybar, Apexcone 6000k HIDs, Ebay Fogs with diy Lexan Lenses, White LED Interior & Trunk Cold Cathodes, OEM Splash Guards, Painted Engine Cover, RSX-S Rims, Centric Cyrostop Rotors, Gransport GS6 Pads. Alpine Type S SPS-17C2, Pioneer TS-A6962R.

post #2 of 7 Old 12-14-2009, 09:26 PM
4th Gear

This is THE best speaker replace DIY I've ever seen for 7th gen.

2006 4D LX V6-Auto

• USASpec iPod Integration
  • TSX Homelink
  • Outside Temp Gauge
  • Day/Night Rear View Mirror
  • Parrot 3100 Bluetooth
  • JL AUDIO TR600-CXi
  • JL AUDIO VR690-CXi
  • TSX HID Retrofit
  • Weathertech Floorliners
  • Oakley Whisker with Drivewear Lens
post #3 of 7 Old 12-14-2009, 10:23 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by thelinux View Post
This is THE best speaker replace DIY I've ever seen for 7th gen.
X2! Good job to the OP and thanks!

2006 Accord EXL-V6 Auto 4dr (CM6)
+ Desert Mist
+ MODS: HFP suspension with Ingalls rear camber kit, Morimoto Mini H1 retrofit, Nokya Hyper Yellow drl/highs, 17mm TL rear sway bar, JBL GTO 6x9's and tweeters, splash guards, WeatherTech DigitalFit floorliners (front) and Honda all-weather floormats (rear), trunk tray, hood bra.... More to come
= Sexy

post #4 of 7 Old 12-14-2009, 10:43 PM
6th Gear

Nice, now when I upgrade the front speakers how can I disconnect the crappy rears?
post #5 of 7 Old 01-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Out of Control

Originally Posted by Furple View Post
Nice, now when I upgrade the front speakers how can I disconnect the crappy rears?
just unplug the wires from the trunk area

2007 Acura TL Type-S
post #6 of 7 Old 02-12-2011, 12:37 PM
2nd Gear

what is that ept foam that you used between the speaker and the mounting frame? Is it really necessary where can i get this?

2007 Accord EX-L 4Cyl Sedan 5MT
TL rear sway bar 17mm
post #7 of 7 Old 02-22-2011, 07:53 AM
1st Gear

Wow, great documentation and install.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.