07 Accord - Installing bluetooth for streaming audio, not phone - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 10-05-2015, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

07 Accord - Installing bluetooth for streaming audio, not phone

Hi there everyone!

My wife just picked up an 07 Accord EX sedan with dual zone climate control and without navigation. She's in love with it (as we have been with all our Hondas). She does, however, miss her streaming audio over bluetooth.

I've done a lot of reading. At first, I was over-the-moon excited when I saw this:

Then I read the reviews and was not so excited anymore. My search continued. I'm not hot on the idea of replacing the lower pocket to put a second stereo in, leaving me with a dead stereo on top, so I nixed those options. Replacing the stereo with an upper adapter doesn't really appeal to me so much because the metra adapter is quite uninspired with controls that don't even come close to looking like the rest of the car and a system that won't allow the lower pod door to open and close any longer. Add to that the fact that all the stereos seem to require a new XM tuner and antenna, the price begins to swell beyond our budget.

So I looked into plugging into the aux port of current radio which is handily located at the bottom of the radio, greatly simplifying the whole process..

The Parrot system seems to be mostly dealing with phone calls over bluetooth, which would be nice but isn't my wife's priority.

The PIE aux plug looked promising but seems discontinued:

I've got hours into searching for solutions but I've begun to just go in circles, so I thought I'd ask you guys, since many of my searches led me here and answers always seemed very helpful.

TL;DR: Is there a bluetooth adapter that will plug into the aux port of the stock stereo, allowing to simply choose AUX on the stereo and listen to music over bluetooth?

Thanks for your time!

Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-05-2015, 07:43 PM
Acoustics BSEE

you'll need to make an enclosure and provide power, but it is a simple BT receiver that your phone will automatically pair with whenever you're in the car. it isn't designed for phone use, just audio.

i have one and use it at home. limited range but works good.

2014 Accord Sport
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Accord EX V6
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Electrical basics and Car Audio (click links below):

--

--
---
post #3 of 11 Old 10-06-2015, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks very much for your help!

It looks like I'd need to figure out a bit more to make this work as my studies lead me to believe that there are no RCA inputs on the stock stereo, instead using a harness plug and socket to plug in the auxiliary audio device. I found a harness on Crutchfield designed for the socket and I could try to find a schematic for it to pick it apart but I'm hoping to find something that will plug into the system without that.

Any other suggestions would be welcome. I may call Crutchfield later today to see if they can suggest something that I'm missing on their site.

Thanks!

post #4 of 11 Old 12-01-2015, 02:58 PM
2nd Gear

Schwim, Are you still working on this? I think this would fit the bill right out of the box:

Depending on how much spare time you have, you might be able to save some money going with keep_hope_alive's suggestion. On that point, you want to look at this thread here:

2007 Accord Homemade Aux Input?

I am also in the market for a BT-enabled / wireless solution for audio streaming, and hands-free calls would be a bonus. I've got an 07 EX-L w/NAV so very similar situation to yours (I don't the NAV makes a difference).

EDIT: finding a 14-pin to RCA adapter hasn't been as easy as I thought, but I think this might work:

post #5 of 11 Old 12-02-2015, 04:29 PM
2nd Gear

A further udpate: I'm much less convinced the 14-pin to RCA adapter I quoted above would work. However, I have discovered a much cheaper, simpler solution: it's a very highly-rated Bluetooth/FM Transmitter. $30. It's the GOgroove FlexSMART X2 Bluetooth In-Car FM Transmitter:

I just ordered one, we'll see if it lives up to the 7000+ reviews.
ND
post #6 of 11 Old 12-03-2015, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Hi there ND and thanks for taking the time to share your findings. I also ended up at the ultimate conclusion you did, that being an FM transmitter. I have not purchased one yet because I'm trying to find the one that least sticks out like a sore thumb. I'll read up on yours and see how it might look when being used in the Accord.

Thanks again for sharing!
post #7 of 11 Old 03-24-2016, 03:47 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemodat View Post
I have discovered a much cheaper, simpler solution: it's a very highly-rated Bluetooth/FM Transmitter. $30. It's the GOgroove FlexSMART X2 Bluetooth In-Car FM Transmitter:

I just ordered one, we'll see if it lives up to the 7000+ reviews.
ND
Unfortunately, it did not work out. I live in a big city, and there was too much interference. I was constantly having to change the transmitting frequency on the device to get a static-free signal (and then of course change the FQ on the stereo as well). Return process was painless, though, so others may wish to try it out.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-24-2016, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

We tried it as well and were very unhappy with it's performance. We live in the sticks and still had issues with sound quality over the FM signal. I think maybe the radio antenna is out back on our cars and it's just not powerful enough to create a quality signal, even when it's not being interfered with by legitimate stations.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-15-2016, 10:05 AM
1st Gear

I put this in my '06 accord coupe when I had it (just recently bought a new car)

But it hooks up to the stock head unit. It works flawlessly with no transmitter or any of that nonsense. It even shows the song name on the head unit.

Also it comes with a mic - I had it professionaly installed and the put the mic right near the ignition. Couldn't even see it, looked completely OEM!

You can use the plus and minus on the steering wheel to change songs, answer and hang up phone calls as well. Phenomenal system!

2016 Accord Coupe Touring - Pearl White
post #10 of 11 Old 04-18-2017, 04:58 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipb91 View Post

I put this in my '06 accord coupe when I had it (just recently bought a new car)

But it hooks up to the stock head unit. It works flawlessly with no transmitter or any of that nonsense. It even shows the song name on the head unit.

Also it comes with a mic - I had it professionaly installed and the put the mic right near the ignition. Couldn't even see it, looked completely OEM!

You can use the plus and minus on the steering wheel to change songs, answer and hang up phone calls as well. Phenomenal system!
Did this unit stand the test of time for you? I ask because my first USA SPEC kit crapped out on me a lot faster than expected and I dont want to invest in another device that'll fail
post #11 of 11 Old 04-18-2017, 05:14 PM
2nd Gear

Not Bad

I thought I'd weigh in with my experience with the USA Spec BT45-HON, which I installed in my 07 EX-L w/Nav about a year ago. Unfortunately, it doesn't display song information with my particular model, but generally the product offers, in theory, a great feature list. The problem I have had is that the unit spontaneously "dies" -- the Bluetooth connection is lost, and the only way to re-establish functioning is to remove and re-insert the stereo fuse (found in the fuse compartment by the driver's left leg). USA Spec refused to replace the unit, and instead "re-flashed" the software/firmware on the device, which I had to send back to them for repair. So, when it works it works well, but when it dies, it's annoying. I should mention that electrically speaking, the installation is simple and I have no reason to think that I wrongly installed the system (it's basically plug and play with no soldering, splicing, etc).
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.