How does 2012 CR-V Backup Camera display 3 views? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 11-03-2014, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

How does 2012 CR-V Backup Camera display 3 views?

In the process of researching backup cameras for my 2006 Accord V6 non-NAVI (swapped to use 2003 NAVI) using a Video Interface Box (PAC, TVANDNAV2GO, NAVTV, etc).

Is there a way to add the 3 view (wide, normal, down) functionality built into the 2012+ CRV backup camera?

How is the toggling between the views done?

Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-03-2014, 03:48 PM
jeb
Black 2015 EX-L V6 Sedan

My Accord has this too, or should I say EX-L and up Accords. You just press the "Sel" on the dash while you're in reverse to cycle the views. Pretty nifty.

Last edited by 03LXV6; 11-03-2014 at 04:28 PM. Reason: quote
post #3 of 14 Old 11-03-2014, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

What technology makes this possible?

post #4 of 14 Old 11-03-2014, 04:37 PM
jeb
Black 2015 EX-L V6 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondas4me View Post
What technology makes this possible?
Um.... The Internet?

But honestly the camera doesn't move if that's what you're asking. The camera probably has a certain amount of pixels designed for each view, and different zooms. It works but I will say the direct down view isn't great, it's a bit... Pixelated. It works well though. It's enough to see a bumper when say.... Parking. The camera it self just looks like a normal little lens.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-10-2014, 07:59 PM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

On the 2013 Civic, the camera angles are selected using the touchscreen on the Navi display. Same for the CRV since they have the same stereo. All three angles look good on my Civic. I usually use the normal view, but the down view is nice if you are wanting to get close to something without hitting it.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-11-2014, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstones View Post
On the 2013 Civic, the camera angles are selected using the touchscreen on the Navi display. Same for the CRV since they have the same stereo. All three angles look good on my Civic. I usually use the normal view, but the down view is nice if you are wanting to get close to something without hitting it.
Thanks, but my question was more towards how Honda accomplishes this functionality. The CRV camera (part # 39530-T0A-A01) does not appear any different from any other camera - at least from the exterior, don't know about the innards. I'm thinking it must be part of the iMid software? How do they display the various lines of sights (normal/overhead)? How does pressing the SEL button toggle between the 3 views?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2012 CR-V 2WD EX 5AT - Urban Titanium Metallic
2008 Civic LX Sedan 5M - Tango Red Pearl
2006 Accord EX V6 Sedan 5AT - Graphite Pearl
2002 Accord EX V6 Coupe 4AT - Satin Silver Metallic (SOLD)
2000 Odyssey EX 4AT - Mesa Beige Metallic (SOLD)
post #7 of 14 Old 11-11-2014, 12:39 PM
jeb
Black 2015 EX-L V6 Sedan

Quote:
Thanks, but my question was more towards how Honda accomplishes this functionality. The CRV camera (part # 39530-T0A-A01) does not appear any different from any other camera - at least from the exterior, don't know about the innards. I'm thinking it must be part of the iMid software? How do they display the various lines of sights (normal/overhead)? How does pressing the SEL button toggle between the 3 views?
Didn't I answer this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb View Post
Um.... The Internet?

But honestly the camera doesn't move if that's what you're asking. The camera probably has a certain amount of pixels designed for each view, and different zooms. It works but I will say the direct down view isn't great, it's a bit... Pixelated. It works well though. It's enough to see a bumper when say.... Parking. The camera it self just looks like a normal little lens.
post #8 of 14 Old 11-11-2014, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb View Post
Didn't I answer this?
No. Let's say I buy the CRV (or your Accord's or hillstone's Civic's) camera and install it on my Accord TvandNav2Go video 2, triggered by the Reverse signal, to display on the Navi Screen. How would I simulate pressing the SEL button on the CRV (or your Accord or hillstone's Civic)? That's the Honda magic I was ultimately seeking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2012 CR-V 2WD EX 5AT - Urban Titanium Metallic
2008 Civic LX Sedan 5M - Tango Red Pearl
2006 Accord EX V6 Sedan 5AT - Graphite Pearl
2002 Accord EX V6 Coupe 4AT - Satin Silver Metallic (SOLD)
2000 Odyssey EX 4AT - Mesa Beige Metallic (SOLD)
post #9 of 14 Old 11-11-2014, 01:44 PM
jeb
Black 2015 EX-L V6 Sedan

Quote:
No. Let's say I buy the CRV (or your Accord's or hillstone's Civic's) camera and install it on my Accord TvandNav2Go video 2, triggered by the Reverse signal, to display on the Navi Screen. How would I simulate pressing the SEL button on the CRV (or your Accord or hillstone's Civic)? That's the Honda magic I was ultimately seeking.
Ohhhh okay I mis understood. Yeah I have no idea. Most people just get aftermarket camera instead of trying to make the OEM work with aftermarket.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-11-2014, 06:31 PM
6th Gear

Garage
I would think that there is a separate wire that triggers the different views. I would have to look at the camera itself but that's the way I would think it would work.
post #11 of 14 Old 11-11-2014, 06:37 PM
jeb
Black 2015 EX-L V6 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlee View Post
I would think that there is a separate wire that triggers the different views. I would have to look at the camera itself but that's the way I would think it would work.
I don't. I think it's all done at the head unit based on what I see on mine. I bet the head unit just uses a certain amount of pixels for each view. Keep in mind that I base this on pure speculation. I'd like to see a pin out of the camera wires.

The camera is just a regular camera, nothing special and no way of changing views. A regular circle lens.
post #12 of 14 Old 11-12-2014, 12:04 PM
lol wut

It's not a special camera, it's just a zoom feature built into the headunit kind of like the digital zoom feature built into most point and shoot cameras today. The reason they did the multi angle view (from my guess) is because most backup cameras are extremely wide angle and the nav screens on a lot of these cars are not widescreen. For the most part they are 4:3 resolution so there is no way they could possibly fit the entire wide image coming from the camera into the screen without distorting the image like crazy.
The Following User Says Thank You to ricerocket For This Useful Post:
jeb (11-12-2014)
post #13 of 14 Old 11-12-2014, 12:49 PM
jeb
Black 2015 EX-L V6 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricerocket View Post
It's not a special camera, it's just a zoom feature built into the headunit kind of like the digital zoom feature built into most point and shoot cameras today. The reason they did the multi angle view (from my guess) is because most backup cameras are extremely wide angle and the nav screens on a lot of these cars are not widescreen. For the most part they are 4:3 resolution so there is no way they could possibly fit the entire wide image coming from the camera into the screen without distorting the image like crazy.
This. This is exactly what I think.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-09-2015, 04:32 PM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

The 2013 Civics all come standard with a rear camera. The non-Navigation models have a single-view image only, through the iMID display. The Navigation models offer the three-angle camera and the display is on the larger Navi display, not the iMID.

The cameras are different, even though they have the same outside appearance. The cameras have different model numbers and prices.

39530-TS8-A02 $244 (Navigation Civic three-angle camera)
39530-TS8-A51 $184 (Non-Navigation Civic single-view camera)

Software in the Navigation head unit controls the camera and tapping Wide, Normal, and Top-Down view obviously changes the zoom/direction of the multi-angle camera. The standard Civic only offers a single, normal view, so the camera costs less since it is a fixed-angle camera. Hope that helps. If your head unit cannot control the angles of the camera, then buying the multi-angle camera won't do anything. By the way, according to Honda's site, every CR-V model has the multi-angle camera.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.