XM Radio - Intermittant Sound Loss? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 12-09-2008, 06:40 AM Thread Starter
My First Post

XM Radio - Intermittant Sound Loss?

I own an '08 EX-L and my XM Radio signal sputters out and loses reception after about 30 min of driving. Sometimes it happens if I'm surfing the channels too much. I happened a few times last fall but is happening more and more.The info is still displayed but no sound. The only way for it to come back is to restart the car. I called my dealer (very busy one) and they've never heard of such an issue. This is really annoying. I've done some Googling on the issue and see that others have posted about the exact same problem, but I can find no definitive answer to this.

Is this a known flaw or defect or has anyone encountered this problem? If so, how did you fix it?

Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-09-2008, 07:44 AM
09ACCORDCOUPE

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcust99 View Post
I own an '08 EX-L and my XM Radio signal sputters out and loses reception after about 30 min of driving. Sometimes it happens if I'm surfing the channels too much. I happened a few times last fall but is happening more and more.The info is still displayed but no sound. The only way for it to come back is to restart the car. I called my dealer (very busy one) and they've never heard of such an issue. This is really annoying. I've done some Googling on the issue and see that others have posted about the exact same problem, but I can find no definitive answer to this.

Is this a known flaw or defect or has anyone encountered this problem? If so, how did you fix it?
Not sure if this'll help, but when XM and Sirius recently merged, I noticed my stations weren't tuning in as usual...they began fading in and out. I placed a call to XM. They instructed me to put my radio on channel one and make sure the car was outside while they reset my signal, not underground or in a garage. The signal was reset and the probelm was solved. Go figure.

09 Accord Coupe BBP/BLK Leather EX-L V6 6MT Navi
05 Acura TL NBP/BLK Leather 5AT Navi
FIRST CAR- 1971 BMW 2000, IN 1982
post #3 of 14 Old 12-09-2008, 07:54 AM
2nd Gear

Mine has done this twice. The signal will fade and come back over and over, and then if I change to a new channel, I lose audio. It won't return until I restart the car.

post #4 of 14 Old 12-09-2008, 07:59 AM
4th Gear

This has also happend to me twice in the course of one year of ownership. I didn't do anything aboout it.
Sorry to be of no help.

2008 Accord EX-L V6 AT Sedan
Polished Metal Metallic
Grey Leather
post #5 of 14 Old 12-30-2008, 05:13 PM
1st Gear

this same thing has happened to me too...twice.
what i think may be causing it (would be interested in hearing from others) is when you are locked into a terrestrial repeater then you move away from it and try to lock on to the satellite.
why i think this is the case: the two times it has happened i was in a covered location then departed only to lose signal in ~1-2 min.
i could see the channels but only sputtering sounds.
problem solved by turning car off then on.
post #6 of 14 Old 12-30-2008, 09:51 PM
Queen Clutz

Yep, same problem. It crapped out on me 20 mins into a 4 hour drive a few weeks ago. It fades in and out in and out and then when you change the channel it's totally gone. It won't come back unless you restart the car. I'm not going to pay for xm after my trial ends so I haven't fussed much with it.

post #7 of 14 Old 08-05-2009, 08:13 PM
2nd Gear

For those of you with the XM radio fading out issue, Honda has admitted there is an issue and a new XM receiver unit is in the works. You can read about it in the Honda Service News here:

2010 Civic EX Coupe
Rallye Red
Black Leather Interior
post #8 of 14 Old 09-22-2010, 11:43 AM
2nd Gear

Honda XM RAdio Problem fixed / solved ??

I just spoke with my local dealer today 09-22-10 who informed me that Honda just released a service bulletin in September 2010 which says that the problem has been fixed and they have a new replacement part. We'll see - i can't find the Sept. service news bulletin online anywhere yet.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-22-2010, 07:07 PM
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm

Never had any problems with my XM tuner in my '08 Element. Any vehicle under warranty, just get it replaced if you have the problem.
post #10 of 14 Old 09-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamacre View Post
You are not authorized to view the content on this page.

If you believe you have received this message in error, please contact the Support Center.

Please go back or return to the home page.

The link you clicked was old, the domain name was changed, the updated links are all in here Honda Service News

The article you are looking for is now at , upper right hand corner of page 5 to be exact.

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-23-2010, 07:18 AM
Corvalis TTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviography View Post
The link you clicked was old, the domain name was changed, the updated links are all in here Honda Service News

The article you are looking for is now at , upper right hand corner of page 5 to be exact.
That article is out of date. It's dated June 2009 and it says don't replace the XM radio receiver. The TSB Dreamacre pointed to says it can now be replaced.

Mark - Retired automotive lighting engineer
14 Accord Touring V6 Sedan

2014 Audi S4 | 2016 Porsche GT3-RS | 08 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 | 2012 Cessna 400 Corvalis TTX

Gone but not forgotten :97 Jaguar XJ6 | 95 Ford Taurus SHO | 77 MGB
post #12 of 14 Old 12-28-2010, 03:45 PM
Tim
1st Gear

any luck on fix?

I have been trying to get this fixed for over a year now. Today I took it in to the dealership since there is a TSB and they could run some tests... I guess test number 1 is to get it to happen, which of course it wouldnt. Hopefully it will happen this week, it usually happens at least once a week. Has anyone had ANY luck with honda on getting this serviced/fixed? I did call customer service today and they told me the same thing, nothing can be done until they see it for themselves (I guess this is all our imagination).
post #13 of 14 Old 01-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Tim
1st Gear

I have also been in contact with XM Radio to complain about this, after all I am a paying customer of this service (NOT HONDA) and it should not be so HARD for a Honda Dealership to fix even when Honda has posted a service bulletin. Honda should really pay attention to how some of these dealerships operate when it comes to TSB and Warranty items.
post #14 of 14 Old 02-05-2011, 11:06 AM
Tim
1st Gear

Finally after 4 Trips to the dealership (DCH Temecula) in the last two months, they finally fixed (I hope) my XM Radio with the Service Bulletin. I never would have thought that getting a Service Bulletin corrected would be so painful, considering it only took a hour today to replace it. So to some it all up.... Two years of dealing with the problem (no big deal, I know Honda would fix it) and had it documented with Dealership.

5 Hours at first appointment last Dec, Dealership could not get to act up and needed to see it even though they had the TSB and my documentation from past problems.

1 hour at Dealership when I finally showed up with the problem.

8 hours (took the day off) when I scheduled a appointment online 36 hours in advance (got email with confirmation #), but dealership didnt have me scheduled, also didnt order replacement XM module, like they said when I showed up on the last visit. But I did have a different service person, who order new part right away and took me in right away this morning to fix it...He was outstanding!

1.5 Hours today to fix it.

So 15.5 hours of a customer's time to fix a KNOWN TSB.... UNBELIEVABLE!

But it is fixed... I HOPE!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.