Replacing the factory subwoofer and speakers (8th Gen) - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #16 of 47 Old 10-24-2008, 04:01 AM
8th Gen Audio Expert

Send a message via AIM to JamieJam1AIM
well the w3's traditionally take a max of about 350 to 400 watts max which is reasonable for the stock system remember that the oem amp is only putting out about 150 MAX power so although the amp will push it, its still wayyy wayyy underpowered... putting the w-7 would be like cutting your law with a nail clipper vs. a weed whacker... Being that I have had and sold JL in the past as an official dealer.. I think the w3 is still overkill... Id be quicker to recommend the w1 series a little less money and closer to matching the power remember this one aspect when you turn up the system( like 75 percent, anything higher is "trying to push the amp harder" it may get louder but the efficiency of the power degrades... degrading quality in power will blow your speakers faster than over-powering them...dirty power over heats the coils and causes the voice coil to burn up hence why youll see guys put 1000 watts to a 750 watt speaker and play them alllllll day long without blowing... distortion is a dirty thing....
and BTW Manville at JL does NOT recommend to run these subs Infinite Baffle they are not efficient as free air subs

"The Black Widow Accord" SOLD!!!!!!
"Team Hybrids" Hybrid Audio Technologies & JL Audio Sponsored Sound Quality Competitor.

2011-12-13 IASCA Amateur "North American Champion"
2011 IASCA Amateur Sound Quality, (RUNNER UP)"North American Championships"
IASCA 2012-13 Spring Break Nationals SQC Amateur Champion
IASCA 2011-12-13 Spring Break Nationals Install Amateur Champion
2012 IASCA Competitor of the Year
2012 IASCA Triple Crown Champion
Mods:
Full S/Q Competition AudioSystem
Advertisement

post #17 of 47 Old 10-24-2008, 04:22 AM
ol' school SQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieJam1AIM View Post
well the w3's traditionally take a max of about 350 to 400 watts max which is reasonable for the stock system remember that the oem amp is only putting out about 150 MAX power so although the amp will push it, its still wayyy wayyy underpowered... putting the w-7 would be like cutting your law with a nail clipper vs. a weed whacker... Being that I have had and sold JL in the past as an official dealer.. I think the w3 is still overkill... Id be quicker to recommend the w1 series a little less money and closer to matching the power remember this one aspect when you turn up the system( like 75 percent, anything higher is "trying to push the amp harder" it may get louder but the efficiency of the power degrades... degrading quality in power will blow your speakers faster than over-powering them...dirty power over heats the coils and causes the voice coil to burn up hence why youll see guys put 1000 watts to a 750 watt speaker and play them alllllll day long without blowing... distortion is a dirty thing....
and BTW Manville at JL does NOT recommend to run these subs Infinite Baffle they are not efficient as free air subs
I'd have to agree w/every word of this.

I see dynamat and all I can think about is shredded hands...OUCH! Peel, stick, repeat...

post #18 of 47 Old 10-24-2008, 04:37 AM
8th Gen Audio Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolNtent View Post
I'd have to agree w/every word of this.

I see dynamat and all I can think about is shredded hands...OUCH! Peel, stick, repeat...
<-----------250 Sq Ft of Accumat extreme in my 8th gen. Not a single cut on my hands... LOL its called a razor knife, gloves and a rubber accumat / wall paper roller and for the hard to get to spaces LMAO a table and tea spoon ( handle in the palm fingers in the spoon, press down and youre good..... for those considering doing damping... Im the first to tell you i've had both accumat from scosche and dynamat extreme... (been sponsored by both) and whats interesting is the accumat is a little thicker and does the job as well and maybe even a little better than dyna- and is a little cheaper... if you are considering damping make sure you look at the thickness when comparing... there are . 46 Mil . 65 mil and .23 mil products... make sure you get the thickest one to eliminate having to do layer over layer over layer over layer...... having done both I can say Accumat seems to be the better bang for the buck... Fat mat is Ok but have heard mixed reviews from the pros about it..... a bulk pack will average between 125 to 200 +/- shipping depending on where you get it... prepare on the average for a single layer all over the 8th gen trunk, pit, floordoors side quarter panels etc..
FOOTNOTE!!!!!
adding damping increases the density meaning the panel is stronger, and will actually keep alot of those mini pin and micro dents from occuring...

"Team Hybrids" Hybrid Audio Technologies & JL Audio Sponsored Sound Quality Competitor.

Mods:

post #19 of 47 Old 10-24-2008, 04:55 AM
4th Gear

[QUOTE=JamieJam1AIM;315595FOOTNOTE!!!!!
adding damping increases the density meaning the panel is stronger, and will actually keep alot of those mini pin and micro dents from occuring... [/QUOTE]

What are mini pin and micro dents? What is causing them?

2008 Accord Coupe EX-L 5 speed w/o Navi
Alabaster Silver Metalic
20% Tint all around
4300K HID Headlights
Alpine IVA-W505
Alpine MRP-F300 4-Channel amp pushing
JBL GTO627 6-1/2" 2-ways (rear deck)
JBL GTO607C 6-1/2" (fronts)
Alpine MRP-M450 amp pushing a
Kicker TCVT122 12" sub
post #20 of 47 Old 10-24-2008, 05:00 AM
8th Gen Audio Expert

door dings little rock hits stuff like that.... you know, lol those little annoying dents that drive you friggen nuts!!!... lol

Mods:
post #21 of 47 Old 10-24-2008, 05:07 AM
4th Gear

oh ok. i thought you were talking about the rear deck! I see what you were saying now.

Alabaster Silver Metalic
20% Tint all around
4300K HID Headlights
Alpine IVA-W505
Kicker TCVT122 12" sub
post #22 of 47 Old 10-24-2008, 05:23 AM
ol' school SQ

JamieJam1AIM- I have a roller and razor and all, but still wash up when I'm done and find those cuts everywhere. Now the teaspoon...!!! This is new to me but sounds perfect for getting those creases down. I'm so picky. When I'm done w/my car I want the deadening to look textbook perfect so this will deffinately give me an edge.

Were you not recommending second skin to me on another thread? I'm thinking of wiring and deadening the car in the next couple of weeks and someone brought them up. I have been looking into them as they are cheaper and seems like an identicle product but thicker. Let me know any thoughts. PM me so as to not hijack this thread if you want. Thanks
post #23 of 47 Old 10-24-2008, 05:30 AM
8th Gen Audio Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolNtent View Post
JamieJam1AIM- I have a roller and razor and all, but still wash up when I'm done and find those cuts everywhere. Now the teaspoon...!!! This is new to me but sounds perfect for getting those creases down. I'm so picky. When I'm done w/my car I want the deadening to look textbook perfect so this will deffinately give me an edge.

Were you not recommending second skin to me on another thread? I'm thinking of wiring and deadening the car in the next couple of weeks and someone brought them up. I have been looking into them as they are cheaper and seems like an identicle product but thicker. Let me know any thoughts. PM me so as to not hijack this thread if you want. Thanks
not familliar with 2nd skin.... couldn't tell you....... again Id say accumat or dynamat but D mat will be a little more expensive due to the name brand....

Mods:
post #24 of 47 Old 10-24-2008, 07:12 AM
BDP

I want to do something like this. I want as much bass/sound as possible while still using the factory locations. I do not mind have the hole bored out to accommodate a larger woofer. I also wouldn't mine running a 1000-1500 watt D class amp to it.

I have always been a fan of Memphis...

Wonder what a nice setup would cost me without going overboard
post #25 of 47 Old 10-24-2008, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Here are a few pics from inside the trunk and of it mostly back together. In the next day or two, I will post a thread on how to remove the trunk liner. The sub is admittedly too nice for this application and i am sure it is highly underpowered, but it sounds pretty good to me. This way, when I install amps it will sound even better.
Attached Images
post #26 of 47 Old 10-24-2008, 06:16 PM
2nd Gear

Can you also throw some pics from the inside of the rear shelf with the new speakers?

Thanks

------------------------------------------
2009 Mystic Green EX-L V6 sedan w/Navi

Las Vegas, NV

Follow me twitter.com/mmmii

Current Mods: 8% Tint - Kensington LiquidAUX for iPhone - OEM Splash Guards - Viper 7501 Alarm/Remote Start w/tilt and glass breakage sensor, windows up/down via remote - Decklid Spoiler - OEM Rearview Camera - Slotted/Dimpled Performance Rotors - Motegi 18"s - Toyo Proxes 4 (240/45/18)

Future Mods: Interior Illumination - Fosgate Sub(s) - Fosgate amp
post #27 of 47 Old 10-24-2008, 06:21 PM
Keepin this one stock...

Check the first page.
post #28 of 47 Old 10-24-2008, 06:23 PM
2nd Gear

All put back together is what I meant.

------------------------------------------
2009 Mystic Green EX-L V6 sedan w/Navi

Las Vegas, NV

Follow me twitter.com/mmmii

Current Mods: 8% Tint - Kensington LiquidAUX for iPhone - OEM Splash Guards - Viper 7501 Alarm/Remote Start w/tilt and glass breakage sensor, windows up/down via remote - Decklid Spoiler - OEM Rearview Camera - Slotted/Dimpled Performance Rotors - Motegi 18"s - Toyo Proxes 4 (240/45/18)

Future Mods: Interior Illumination - Fosgate Sub(s) - Fosgate amp
post #29 of 47 Old 10-24-2008, 09:33 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMII View Post
All put back together is what I meant.
It's going to look exactly the same as it did before he changed the speakers.

Alabaster Silver Metalic
20% Tint all around
4300K HID Headlights
Alpine IVA-W505
Kicker TCVT122 12" sub
post #30 of 47 Old 10-25-2008, 06:55 AM
3rd Gear

Asher:

Great job and post. Question: You mentioned that you changed out the speakers too. Which speakers did you change and what did you change them to (model #..please)? Did you also change out the tweeters and did they all just drop-in or did you have to hog out some metal?

I assume the power is still all OEM.

Thx
FH

08 V6 EXL Sedan w/Nav.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.