polk audio db690 vs. db691 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 09-01-2007, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
lovin' my first car

Smile polk audio db690 vs. db691

hey everyone, im about to purchase some new speakers for my rear deck and saw that my local circuit city does not sell the polk audio db690 anymore, but sells a newer model called the db691.

does anyone know if there are any real differences between the model numbers of these speakers, or is it just a carryover from the db690? im confident in using the polk audios with my head unit, since it seems to be more sensitive than the boston acoustic s95. should i just get the new db691 or purchase a set of db690 speakers online for less?

thanks in advance for any advice regarding these speakers and the factory head unit.

'07 NBP Accord EX-L V6 w/Navi- Mods - Accessories (Splash Guards, Wheel Locks, OEM fog lights, OEM door & moonroof visors, Decklid Spoiler, All season mats, Cassette Deck, Door Edge Guards), Polk Audio DB691 6x9 speakers

Coming Soon - 35% tint front and back, HFP gunmetal grey 17" wheels
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-01-2007, 03:37 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

The 690 is a two way speaker the 691 is a three way speaker. Google both for hundreds of pages of information.

post #3 of 19 Old 09-01-2007, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
lovin' my first car

isnt the db690 a 3 way speaker as well?

'07 NBP Accord EX-L V6 w/Navi- Mods - Accessories (Splash Guards, Wheel Locks, OEM fog lights, OEM door & moonroof visors, Decklid Spoiler, All season mats, Cassette Deck, Door Edge Guards), Polk Audio DB691 6x9 speakers

post #4 of 19 Old 09-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

You are correct.....I can google but I obviously can't read!
I would look for closeout pricing on the 690 if it were me.
Crutchfield.com has them for aout $90 but I bet you can do better.
post #5 of 19 Old 09-01-2007, 06:37 PM
5th Gear

I put the 690's in my car and they were a nice upgrade over the factory speakers. By the way I'm still using the factory head unit. I got them from Crutfield a few months back because believe it or not they had the best price around and they included the necessary harness adapters so I didn't have to cut anything.
post #6 of 19 Old 09-03-2007, 10:58 PM
3rd Gear

comment... on a coax speakers, a 2 way is more efficient and better sounding than a 3 way configuration.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 Old 09-04-2007, 01:46 AM
Texas Ground Pounder

Garage
Based on the specs found at Polk Audio's web site the main differences between the two models are as follows:

DB690:

1 - 6" x 9" Mid/Woofer
1 - 1" Midrange
1 - 3/4" Tweeter

DB691:

1 - 6" x 9" Mid/Woofer
2 - 1" Tweeter

They both have the same frequency responses and wattage handling. Judging by the photos of the two, it looks like there may be some differences in materials on the Mid/Woofer as well. This is the only differences I can see.

2003 Accord EX Sedan V6 Auto NAVI (Noble Green Pearl)
Mods:Fog Lights-front & rear TL sway bar-V6 MT shock tower bar-AEM V2-Magnaflow cat-back-Window & Moon visors-Kaminari Lip Kit-Bug Shield-CUSCO Type II TSX Lower brace-Enkei EV5 wheels-Trans Cooler
Audio/Video:audio under construction-KP window up, one touch moonroof, mirror tilt-Dice iPod-Rear Camera-TVandNav2go Video
Wish List:Air Ride-Charger
post #8 of 19 Old 09-04-2007, 10:12 AM
3rd Gear

May be DB691 is cost reduction version?
I have DB690 and they sound great ! I guess DB691 should be equal or better.
post #9 of 19 Old 09-04-2007, 10:31 AM
3rd Gear

They are both 3way. I'm talking about a 3way vs 2way speaker with regards to tonal efficiency and sound quality. 3way coax configuration is way more obstructive to the midbass driver than that of a 2way coax. Best sound reproduction is still thru a separate component system, each driver has their own axis unlike coaxial which drivers share the same axis giving you poor phase and cancelation.

Take a look at Polk's top of the line SR series configuration: it's a 2way/separates.

My advice, if you want to invest with sound quality in mind without breaking the bank, I would suggest that you invest $20-30 more on top of your $90 budget and get a 6x9 component system with coaxil mounting option.

I would strongly suggest MBQ RCE-269 (note that I have RCE in bold letters, these are the original german made mbq and not the US corporate made after the buy off). I am using the same component (bought it when it was still in the $300 range) in a separate configuration. Your $20-30 (RCE-269 can be had on ebay in the $120s ) will get you unmatched sound quality (use of crossover with selectable HF point), future upgrade proof together with speaker (highs) protection and mounting option.

If you really have to only get a coaxial then I would suggest you get a 2 way kappa series (best sounding midbudget speakers so far).

post #10 of 19 Old 09-05-2007, 06:23 AM
4th Gear

^ I don't think you should spend any extra $$ on rear-deck speakers unless it's going to be your ONLY upgrade.

2006 Accord Sedan V6
CarPC Alpine CDA-9887 + Imprint Dynaudio Esotec 342 Polk db690 RF P450.4 Alpine MRP-T222 Basslink.
TL-S anti-sway bars oem front shock tower brace. TEIN FLEX + EDFC
post #11 of 19 Old 09-05-2007, 10:47 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cups View Post
^ I don't think you should spend any extra $$ on rear-deck speakers unless it's going to be your ONLY upgrade.
Agree. I think DB690/DB691 are above average speakers and they do sound very good. They are not the high end version but since you are using stock HU, how much difference does it make to go for the top end speakers?
I have DB6501 on the front and DB690 on the rear plus a MOMO sub configuration and they are driven by a JBL amp and I am very happy with the results and sound quality.

Just my $0.02.
post #12 of 19 Old 09-06-2007, 11:57 PM
3rd Gear

Ok let me clear out something first basing on what the topic starter wants to do before this thread become "I have this type of speaker and it's awsome with mth amplifier this and aftermarket HU that"
As I have understood:
1. Keeping the HU stock
2. Wants to replace the rearfills
3. $90 budget
4. Looking for an efficient coax rearfill (6x9)
5. He's looking at boston acoustics and polk db (dunno if he already made up his mind on the polk db... i hope still not)

I'm not bashing at polk db... I might recommend them too on the right situations (but I would still be recommending kappas tha db)... unfortunately, using a stock HU with the db is not one of those "right situations" so I'm again discouraing him to buy the db or any speaker on that same category.

Mentioning polk db and highly recommending it is "very wrong right off the bat". If you guys really want him to get this nice looking well known powerfull solidly built complexed looking and designed coax Polk db... then by all means but try answering these questions: are those speakers really suited for stock HU integration??? would it sound good and loud with his stock HU???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cups View Post
Yep, he shouldn't be if that's the case. That's why I was giving him 2 scenarios... 1. an upgrade ready rearfill or 2. just get a replacement rearfill and that's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcookie View Post
Agree. I think DB690/DB691 are above average speakers and they do sound very good. They are not the high end version but since you are using stock HU, how much difference does it make to go for the top end speakers?
3way 6x9 will always sound inferior to a 2way 6x9.
How much difference does it make to go for the top end speakers???????
LIKE NIGHT AND DAY!!! "remember... we are not talking about what kind of speakers do you have... we are talking of what kind of speakers are going to install on a STOCK HEAD UNIT" Top end speakers are meant to be installed with good amps so they can perform as it should. Install them to work with a stock head unit on the accord and you'll be cursing on why a ceratin $800-$2000 top end speaker sound so bad. Like I said... like night and day... the stock speakers will perform better than the top end on a stock HU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcookie View Post
I have DB6501 on the front and DB690 on the rear plus a MOMO sub configuration and they are driven by a JBL amp and I am very happy with the results and sound quality.
nice... I bet it really does sound amazing and loud. Now... here's what we'll do... let's take off those polk db both front and rear and let's hook it up on a 2007 Honda Stock Head Unit... tell me if you'd still be happy with the db's SQ and effeciancy...???
BUT, if think I'm wrong or anyone want to prove me wrong... then by all means... do so... maybe the rules in "caraudio system building" have changed.

Anyway... let me go back to kevinhing's topic/post...
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhing View Post
thanks in advance for any advice regarding these speakers and the factory head unit.
You're on the right path with choosing speakers which are effecient as this would be used with your stock HU.
Yes the db might be the "better" than that of the boston acoustics but these two speakers are not going to perform well with your HU. Having a nice looking and nice name speaker is different from having a good sounding speaker. This is why I'm suggesting you to get a 2WAY KAPPA SERIES 6x9

something to think about...
no matter what, a 2way is better, better, better sounding than 3way
polk db is well suited to work with add-on amp
polk db 4 OHM
kappa 2way 2 OHM (...which do you think is efficient? sound better and louder?)
I have dealt with polk and infinity speakers (installing and or recommending basing on budget) and the kappas always has a very very good "in-car" performance than anything out there on the same range and category.

Go get kappas... unless there's something much much better in all aspects that would perform better in-car with a stock HU.

post #13 of 19 Old 09-07-2007, 03:43 AM
4th Gear

I never got an answer to this question: Can the stock headunit handle a 2ohm load?

2006 Accord Sedan V6
CarPC Alpine CDA-9887 + Imprint Dynaudio Esotec 342 Polk db690 RF P450.4 Alpine MRP-T222 Basslink.
TL-S anti-sway bars oem front shock tower brace. TEIN FLEX + EDFC
post #14 of 19 Old 09-07-2007, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
lovin' my first car

thanks for the input, everyone. i thought about getting the infinity kappas, but questioned whether the accord head unit would be able to safely handle a 2 ohm load.

i did some research and saw that others have had good luck running the boston acoustics s95 speakers, which is slightly less sensitive than the polk audio db690/691. the polk audio ones seems to be a pretty good deal for $90 if it will sound louder with some more low end puch than what the factory rear 6x9's provide.

i think i'll stick with the polk audio one's which are available at circuit city and i can always return them if i do not like the sound quality compared to the factory ones.

post #15 of 19 Old 09-13-2007, 05:11 AM Thread Starter
lovin' my first car

update: i went ahead and purchased the polk audio db691 6x9 speakers from circuit city.

me and a co-worker got them installed in about 20-30 minutes, due to a lack of proper tools. they initially did not line up with the factory speaker holes, but after moving the speaker around, we were able to get all the screws to line up and bolt down. the factory speaker grilles in the rear fit perfectly snug and secure over these speakers. no real fitment issues whatsoever.

as for the speakers themselves, they perform pretty well with the factory head unit. the sound is very even now compared to the factory speaker and there is actually bass in the backseat now as a result of the upgrade. the highs are more crisp and clean sounding with these speakers. they are an excellent choice to upgrade the rear decks if you are looking for better and more even sound quality from the rear deck.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.