Sound proofing road noise - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
1Likes
  • 1 Post By isedawishy
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 09-07-2012, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
My First Post

Sound proofing road noise

2011 Accord Coupe LX-S has excessive road noise. Where is best bang for buck to add sound deadening produce/material.

Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-07-2012, 06:49 PM
posted from a toilet

I recently picked up a 2009 Coupe and it has a tremendous amount of road noise over my previous vehicles. The stock Michelins are pretty noisy tires, so a lot of it could be that.

I've installed dampeners in multiple vehicles previous for audio systems, but road noise is a whole different beast. I have not yet though installed a dampener on the floor, which I think I will have to do for this car.

On top of that, I've been doing some reading at .

I'm going to try out this mass loaded vinyl barrier and on top of that closed cell foam. Definitely on the floor, trunk area, and if there is room for it on the doors I'll put it there as well.

I've used fatmat with good results for a dampener and it's pretty reasonable for a first layer type of thing. I was reading that the combination of vinyl and foam would be like adding 6 layers of dampener.

Regardless, it is a very labor intensive job, so if you decide to go down this route plan a couple days!

slimm1469 likes this.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-07-2012, 08:35 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by isedawishy View Post
I recently picked up a 2009 Coupe and it has a tremendous amount of road noise over my previous vehicles. The stock Michelins are pretty noisy tires, so a lot of it could be that.

I've installed dampeners in multiple vehicles previous for audio systems, but road noise is a whole different beast. I have not yet though installed a dampener on the floor, which I think I will have to do for this car.

I'm going to try out this mass loaded vinyl barrier and on top of that closed cell foam. Definitely on the floor, trunk area, and if there is room for it on the doors I'll put it there as well.

I've used fatmat with good results for a dampener and it's pretty reasonable for a first layer type of thing. I was reading that the combination of vinyl and foam would be like adding 6 layers of dampener.

Regardless, it is a very labor intensive job, so if you decide to go down this route plan a couple days!
Thanks for this, very informative. I am trying to cut road/tire noise and prevent sound loss from new sound equip. install.

post #4 of 10 Old 10-28-2012, 03:00 AM
2012 Crosstour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims11 View Post
2011 Accord Coupe LX-S has excessive road noise. Where is best bang for buck to add sound deadening produce/material.
Noise is bothersome to most. There are always the ones who disable their air cleaner baffles and change the exhaust for more rumble noise. Yes, back in the days, I also liked the rumble noise and changed my exhaust to Thrush Glass Packs. Nowadays, just leaving the window cracked a bit is too much noise for me. Here are a few ideas for lowering the noise in your car.

1) Add more interior flooring – Carpet or even better sound deadening carpet. A floor mat if you didn’t have one. Virtually, anything that you can lay on the floor will absorb some noise and vibration.

2) Add more external baffling – Undercoating, fiberglass matting, spray foam or similar material can fill in small holes and passageways that sound can travel thru to the interior. Anything you can add to fill in cracks and crevices will stop the sound.

3) Tires – Directional tires (as a general rule) will get louder as they wear. Kumho’s Max Performance tire Exsta LE Sport, or the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric and Continental Extreme Contact DW are the lowest noise tires a many brands. Also keep in mind that the higher the inflation pressure, the lower the noise. Keep in mind that low noise tires are normally lower in their rolling resistance and could save you as much as 5% fuel consumption.

4) Squeaks and Rattles – Most all cars squeak and rattle and it tends to get worse the more miles on the car. Those squeaks and rattles can be fixed. You just have to designate time and effort to track them down and fix them. Make sure that you have the dealership fix as many as possible while your vehicle is still under warranty.

5) Electronics – Many newer car electronics have Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) which is designed to dramatically reduce low frequency noise in the interior. The system operates whenever the car is running, regardless of whether the audio system is on or off. There is either one or two microphones in the cabin area. The microphones capture low-end drivetrain frequencies entering the cabin, and send a signal to the Active Noise Cancellation unit. The control unit then creates a precisely timed reverse phase audio signal that is sent to an amplifier, which powers the door speakers and the subwoofer. Since the system is designed to cancel low-frequency sound, it doesn’t use any of the audio system’s tweeters. The ANC dramatically reduces exterior noise. In the frequency range below 100 hertz, ANC results in an impressive 10 dB reduction in noise level.

6) Door, window and sunroof seals. Over time your door, window and sunroof seals can become twisted, unglued, or even just very dirty. If your door seal has come lose, noise will come in from that opening. Even a dirty window seal will transmit much more sound. A good practice is to wipe down your seals and the area where they push against the vehicle. Older cars might need a seal replacement to get a good seal. A good test is to place a dollar bill between the seal and body and there should be reasonable tension when pulling on the dollar bill.

My last tips are a bit more extreme.

If you really need a quiet car, you might consider a totally electric car. You can't get much quieter than fully electric.

My last tip is even more extreme. If you are one of those drivers susceptible to high pitch whine, you might try leaving your wife at home.

2012 Crosstour w/NAV
ASE Master Tech
CSI Vehicle Forensics
post #5 of 10 Old 11-08-2012, 01:05 PM
'09 Coupe EX-L V6 MT ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by isedawishy View Post

I used Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) on the entire cabin floor to trunk and glued some to the inside body panels behind the back seat apolstery and on the back side of the rear armrest panels. I also glued some to the back of the interior components of the trunk as it was difficult to reach the inside of the quarter panels of my '09 coupe. And laid a layer on the metal of the rear deck to reduce vibration of metal against plastic with the new speakers and sub I installed. Everything helped immensly! (110sq.ft total for the areas as described)
I wish I would have used Closed Cell Foam (CCF) w/MLV attached like you could buy here.
They have the best prices I could find anywhere. Even called to ask questions and they were very helpful.

I then used stickyback CCF and dampener in the doors. The whole car is actually quieter from the inside out also, as it's keeping the music inside too, without abnoxious rattling.

Reducing road noise makes a BIG difference! It did take some time to do it.

'09 Accord Coupe V6 MT
'05 Element
'05 Civic LX
'06 Civic Si Coupe - Sold :( to buy the Accord :)
'07 Pilot - Sold
post #6 of 10 Old 11-08-2012, 02:28 PM
Also available in sober.

^^^ Good info! Thanks.

14 Accord Sport - 10 Accord EX - 07 GMC Sierra - 81 Mazda RX7 - 97 Mazda Miata - 09 Scion XB
post #7 of 10 Old 01-17-2016, 06:46 PM
2nd Gear

whats better

or
post #8 of 10 Old 02-28-2016, 06:45 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSephAccord View Post
whats better

or
Those are two different materials for entirely different purposes - doing it right uses both of these materials.
post #9 of 10 Old 03-30-2016, 05:47 PM
I am Tr

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims11 View Post
I don't know where you live, but this place here does it. It's in Maryland

I Be Vlogging Lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 Old 03-31-2016, 09:50 AM
8TH GEN BELIEVER

The most educational site I've found is
I don't know how his prices compare, but from a scientific explanation of the options, this is the place to go.

OEM fogs / 22mm Progress RSB / Ultra Racing FSB / Koni FSDs / Modulo grille / debadged trunk /

Previous cars: 2003 EXL V6 Accord Coupe
1995 Accord EX Sedan
1985 Mercedes 300 Turbodiesel
1989 Volvo S90 Turbo
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.