The Skinny on Hub Centric Rings - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-18-2011, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

The Skinny on Hub Centric Rings

We frequently see questions regarding hub centric rings so we decided to put this thread together to help answer some of these questions.

First, some terms you will need to know.
  • “Hub Centric Wheels”
Hub centric wheels have a center bore that matches the vehicle’s hub pilot.
  • “Non Hub Centric Wheels”
Non hub centric wheels have a larger center bore than the vehicles hub pilot.
What are hub centric rings?
Hub centric rings, typically made of plastic or metal, are designed and used to fill the gap between the hub pilot of the vehicle and the
center bore of the wheel.

Here's what the hub pilot, the center bore of a wheel, and hub centric rings look like:

What purpose do hub centric rings serve?
A hub centric ring’s sole purpose is to help align and center the wheel and tire assembly on the vehicle’s hub pilot. Once the wheel assembly
is torqued, the hub centric ring’s job is complete. Hub rings help reduce and can eliminate wheel and tire vibrations caused during installation.
Do all wheels need hub centric rings?
No, not all wheels need hub centric rings.

Wheels that are “Hub Centric” for the vehicle will fit over the vehicles hub pilot without any gap. All original equipment and some aftermarket
wheels are hub centric but most aftermarket wheels are not hub centric.

Wheels that are "Non Hubcentric" can be mounted without hub rings if the proper time and care it taken to center the wheel on the vehicles
hub during installation.
I read that you have to run hub centric rings on non hub centric wheels or the lug nuts/studs will break do to extra load. Is this
true?
This is not the case. The vehicles hub pilot, studs, and lug nuts are not load bearing. What actually holds a wheel on the vehicle is force friction
that is created once the lug nuts are torqued to specifications set by the vehicle manufacturer.
How are hub centric rings sized?
Hub centric rings are sized by the outer diameter to inner diameter. The outer diameter is the hub bore of the wheel and the inner
diameter is the hub pilot on the vehicle.
Here's an example:

The hub pilot on a 2000 Nissan Altima is 66.1mm. The hub bore on the 17x7 Konig Unknown (a popular wheel for this application) is 73.1mm.
From looking at the hub pilot and hub bore specs, we know there is a 7mm. gap. To fill this gap a hub centric ring is used. The correct ring
size for this particular application is 73.1(Outer Diameter) to 66.1(Inner Diameter).

Which material is better, aluminum or plastic?
There is a lot of debate on which material is best and there are Pros and Cons to both. Here's our take on the subject.

If you live in an area where snow and road salt is present, or in an area around the ocean, plastic rings are best used. Unlike the metal
aluminum rings, the plastic rings will not oxidize and corrode.

If you push your vehicle to the limits and are constantly on the brakes, like when road racing for example, a metal hub centric ring is best
used. Contrary to what you may read, under heavy braking or racing situations, plastic rings can deteriorate from the heat being
generated. The heat can break down the plastic material making it brittle which can ultimately lead to the ring braking. Although rare
and under extreme conditions, the plastic ring can completely melt and deform.

If your vehicle is mainly used as a daily driver, pick one and go with it, either one will get the job done.

Discount Tire Direct includes hub centric rings FREE of charge (when applicable) with every set of wheels we sell. We also sell hub
centric ring sets in both plastic and aluminum for only $15.00. This price does include FREE shipping so if you need a set of hub centric
rings, give us a call at 1.888.459.4080 and anyone of our agents would be happy to set you up.

Low Prices! More Choices! FREE Shipping!
At The Store:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To Your Door:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Useful Links:

Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-15-2011, 07:08 PM
1st Gear

good post, i was at discount tire today and they told me it would be $15 per ring

post #3 of 11 Old 07-16-2011, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

^
They must have been mistaken. The cost is $15.00 for the set.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #4 of 11 Old 04-13-2012, 08:23 PM
1st Gear

I just bought TSW wheels and tires for my Honda Accord. I don't think the hub centric rings are included. I plan to install them at DT in Eden Prairie, MN. What should I do? Call DTD to ship the rings or DT in Eden Prairie? Thanks.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-14-2012, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

^
All the wheels we sell come with hub centric rings at no charge when applicable. Chances are the hub rings are packed inside the wheels. If not, the store in Eden Prairie should have the correct ring size for your set-up.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #6 of 11 Old 10-04-2014, 11:34 AM
2nd Gear

Hi,

I am currently shopping for a set of new wheels for my car and you mention that each set of wheels come with hubcentric rings.

My first question is - how do I know the rings you provide will fit my car appropriately??? Better yet, how do you know? Every car has a different center bore I am assuming.

Second question - you mention the pros and cons of using plastic vs metal rings. For daily drivers, how long are these rings expected to last? 1 year, 2 years, 4 years, 10 years? Do we need to keep a set of extras handy?

Thanks!
post #7 of 11 Old 10-04-2014, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lektrix View Post
Hi,

I am currently shopping for a set of new wheels for my car and you mention that each set of wheels come with hubcentric rings.

My first question is - how do I know the rings you provide will fit my car appropriately??? Better yet, how do you know? Every car has a different center bore I am assuming.

Second question - you mention the pros and cons of using plastic vs metal rings. For daily drivers, how long are these rings expected to last? 1 year, 2 years, 4 years, 10 years? Do we need to keep a set of extras handy?

Thanks!
Just replied to your PM.

For those curious, 1990 to current Honda Accords have a 64.1mm hub bore diameter. 1989 and older have a 56.1mm hub bore diameter. As long as we know what year the Accord is, we can include the proper rings with the wheels.

As far as ring life goes, there is no accurate estimate I can provide. It really depends on the conditions your vehicle is driven in.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #8 of 11 Old 10-04-2014, 01:16 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discount Tire View Post
Just replied to your PM.

For those curious, 1990 to current Honda Accords have a 64.1mm hub bore diameter. 1989 and older have a 56.1mm hub bore diameter. As long as we know what year the Accord is, we can include the proper rings with the wheels.

As far as ring life goes, there is no accurate estimate I can provide. It really depends on the conditions your vehicle is driven in.
Thanks so much...really impressed with the quick response. I PMed you once more.

I live in Toronto, ON so we have wintry conditions from Dec - March. But I don't drive a lot in general (15,000 KM / year) and drive even less in winter. Would it be safe to say the ring life is probably negligible to me?
post #9 of 11 Old 10-04-2014, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

PM replied.

At The Store:

To Your Door:

Useful Links:

post #10 of 11 Old 08-21-2017, 06:26 PM
1st Gear

Would plastic hub centric rings prevent a wheel from seizing to the hub? If no, is anti-seize grease the only fix? any ideas are appreciated.

I recently attempted to remove my wheels on my 2007 Accord to bleed my own brakes (I learned how here), and THREE of the wheels were seized to the hubs. After finally getting the three wheels free, I applied anti-seize grease, but I'm told it only lasts 6 months or so.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-11-2017, 02:28 PM
Out of Control

Garage
^^^ hub-centric rings won't help much there. Anti-seize paste will, and it will need to be reapplied from time to time.

2007 Accord SE sedan; I-4 automatic
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.