2009 EX-L V6 Accord Alignment Questions - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
8Likes
  • 2 Post By slimm1469
  • 1 Post By RickBlaine
  • 1 Post By Terrapin88
  • 2 Post By RickBlaine
  • 1 Post By GoLowDrew
  • 1 Post By slimm1469
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 11-24-2017, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Run, squirrel! Run!

2009 EX-L V6 Accord Alignment Questions

On 11/21 I bought 4 Continental extreme contact dws06 tires from Town Fair Tire (they are a chain tire store in the Northeast). I got a great OTD price on the tires, mounting, balancing and TPMS sensors reprogrammed, so I allowed them to do a 4 wheel alignment for another $49. Their online reviews are not spectacular, especially regarding their alignment skills so I was hesitant to let them do the alignment, but I was there and it had been a long day already so I gave them a shot instead of waiting a week for an appointment to go the place I trust.

When I brought the car in there to get new tires it tracked straight and didn't pull at all. The steering wheel was dead true center when driving straight. When they were finished with the tire install and first 4 wheel alignment, the car would pull to the left slightly and the steering wheel would need to be a few degrees canted to the right while driving in a straight line.

I brought it back and had them redo the alignment. After 2nd alignment there was no difference. Car still pulled slightly left when I let go of the steering wheel, and the steering wheel was still a couple of degrees canted to the right when driving straight. I didn't have time to go back again on 11/21, so I went back today to try and get this figured out. They checked the alignment again, but I asked them to also switch the 2 front tires to see if it pulled to the right this time which would tell us that it was probably the front driver side tire causing the pull. The car does pull to the right now, though only just slightly. They are going to replace the tire that seems to have the radial pull, and hopefully that'll be problem solved. I'll have to wait for them to order it, though.

Being that I don't trust this shop all that much and that what I know about 4 wheel alignments I recently learned on Google, I'm going to post scans of the 3 alignments they did and ask for opinions from those that know more than I do. I want to know if you see anything funny or out of whack. The scans are numbered 1-3 corresponding to 1st, 2nd and 3rd alignments. To me, looking at the scans it seems like it must be a wonky tire, but like I said, I'm no expert. Thanks!

Attached Images

- 2009 Accord EX-L V6 4dr w/Navi

- '98 Harley Super Glide Althea
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-24-2017, 04:03 PM
Uptown Rooter

I have the same car, with Continental ProContact tires. I'm not an expert either, but I'll bet those guys did a crappy alignment. Don't stress yourself out by going back and forth to the same shop. Write the $49 off and go to a good alignment shop. MHO.

Martian and Terrapin88 like this.

OEM fogs / 22mm Progress RSB / Ultra Racing FSB / Koni FSDs / Modulo grille / debadged trunk /

Previous cars: 2003 EXL V6 Accord Coupe
1995 Accord EX Sedan
1985 Mercedes 300 Turbodiesel
1989 Volvo S90 Turbo
The Following User Says Thank You to slimm1469 For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (11-24-2017)
post #3 of 9 Old 11-24-2017, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Run, squirrel! Run!

You're probably right, slimm1469. I should have followed my gut from the beginning and not had them do it. So far it's been about an eight hour time waster over the span of two different days.

post #4 of 9 Old 11-24-2017, 06:33 PM

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,324 Posts
Tires, wheels, suspension, or the alignment itself....

Some tires can be bad brand new....some wheels get dented, some suspension can get whacked out of spec by large potholes.....but the usual culprit is a bad alignment job- especially after you just received an alignment.

But some here have reported bad tires....rare, but it happens.
Terrapin88 likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-24-2017, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Run, squirrel! Run!

I can say the car did track straight with the worn tires. There was no pull at all until I had the new tires installed, so hopefully that crosses off the wheels or suspension. I'm about 50/50 on whether it's the tire or the alignment being the culprit of the pull now. When they swapped the front tires (left to right & right to left) the pull moved from being to the left to being to the right. It could be a radial pull from one funky tire, so I am going to let them replace the one that seems to be the offender and go from there. If that doesn't do it then I'll go and get an alignment from the shop I trust and had planned to go to in the first place.
RickBlaine likes this.

post #6 of 9 Old 11-24-2017, 07:49 PM

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,324 Posts
Smart thinking....These steering or vibration issues can be positively maddening to track down and solve sometimes. When some poor fellow gets new wheels, new tires, and lowers the suspension all in one shot, then complains about an issue- it can take months to track down.

One thing at a time, sez me!
Martian and Terrapin88 like this.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-03-2017, 08:36 PM
Low Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimm1469 View Post
Don't stress yourself out by going back and forth to the same shop. Write the $49 off and go to a good alignment shop. MHO.
I've done that before. Hard to find a good shop with good people.
Terrapin88 likes this.

2016 Accord EX I4, 2010 Accord EX-L V6, 2017 Accord Sport
post #8 of 9 Old 12-04-2017, 03:24 PM
Uptown Rooter

^^ I used Yelp and found a top notch guy here in Dallas. Yelp's a help.
Terrapin88 likes this.

OEM fogs / 22mm Progress RSB / Ultra Racing FSB / Koni FSDs / Modulo grille / debadged trunk /

Previous cars: 2003 EXL V6 Accord Coupe
1995 Accord EX Sedan
1985 Mercedes 300 Turbodiesel
1989 Volvo S90 Turbo
post #9 of 9 Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Run, squirrel! Run!

Thanks for the replies. After the replacement tire, the car finally tracks straight. It seems now that I need to replace one or all of my TPMS sensors as the TPMS light is on, so after Christmas I will get new sensors installed and have the 4 wheel alignment checked for peace of mind by the shop I trust. That way I can kill 2 birds with one credit card.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.