Looking good all season tires? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
10Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 08-17-2017, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
I am Tr

Garage
Looking good all season tires?

Hello, everyone. As the title says I am looking for new tires. I need all season my main thing is I need something good in rain and snow due to my job as we are mandatory staff. I'm looking for a speed rating of V or better. Also a performance tire. So far I was looking at Bridgestone as my first choice. However, I have assurance/Goodyear they are horrible. I was also hearing good & bad about Hankook, Sumitomo, Yokohama, Michelin and even my choice Bridgestone. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I Be Vlogging Lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instagram:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 08-17-2017, 08:10 AM

Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,360 Posts
MzCountry:

Brand names are....just brand names!

Go to TireRack or to Discount Tire's (they are a sponsor here at radio-pro.ru) website and enter in your car info. Tire choices will pop up. Spend some time reading through the reviews. Reviews posted by illiterate and unintelligible people should be discounted because they make no sense. Decide what YOUR needs are- longevity, road noise, sidewall flex (handling), snow, etc.

One tire praised by me and others here is the Continental Extreme Contact DWS tire- it is relatively inexpensive and gets insanely good reviews. There is a $70 rebate going on now through Aug 31 if you send in your paperwork on time.

Some GoodYears/Bridgestones/Continentals?etc. get good reviews, some do not. Don't look at the brand name so much as what people say about the exact specific tire. NEVER skimp on tires! I'd rather drive a beater with tires that cost me an extra $30 each than a nice car with lousy tires. Tires are mucho important!

And know some things about tires! When you get 4 new tires, make DAMN sure you see the 4 digit date code. Do NOT buy tires older than one year.

Know that you will amortize this purchase over 4-6 years, so saving $10 per tire on a lesser rated tire may NOT be the best choice. Some last longer but don't grip as well, some ride harsh or are loud, etc....

Research!

P.S. When your thread title popped up on the right of my screen under RECENT DISCUSSIONS- it says "Looking good all season" LOL, how conceited! lol

MzCountry likes this.

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
PZEV emission vehicle (!)
4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic Transmission
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
145k miles (as of Jan '18)
post #3 of 20 Old 08-17-2017, 09:55 AM
2nd Gear

I bought DUNLOP SIGNATURE II for $80 per piece. Driven 500 miles on them. They're soft with nice grip. Good in snow too. Some reviews say they become loud after 30,000 miles. My Honda Accord 2008 is loud anyway (compared to Camry, Altima or Fusion).
MzCountry likes this.

post #4 of 20 Old 08-17-2017, 10:04 AM
Elvira - the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
MzCountry:

Go to TireRack or to Discount Tire's (they are a sponsor here at radio-pro.ru) website and enter in your car info. Tire choices will pop up. Spend some time reading through the reviews. Reviews posted by illiterate and unintelligible people should be discounted because they make no sense. Decide what YOUR needs are- longevity, road noise, sidewall flex (handling), snow, etc.

One tire praised by me and others here is the Continental Extreme Contact DWS tire- it is relatively inexpensive and gets insanely good reviews. There is a $70 rebate going on now through Aug 31 if you send in your paperwork on time.

Some GoodYears/Bridgestones/Continentals?etc. get good reviews, some do not. Don't look at the brand name so much as what people say about the exact specific tire. NEVER skimp on tires! I'd rather drive a beater with tires that cost me an extra $30 each than a nice car with lousy tires. Tires are mucho important!

And know some things about tires! When you get 4 new tires, make DAMN sure you see the 4 digit date code. Do NOT buy tires older than one year.

Know that you will amortize this purchase over 4-6 years, so saving $10 per tire on a lesser rated tire may NOT be the best choice. Some last longer but don't grip as well, some ride harsh or are loud, etc....

Research!

P.S. When your thread title popped up on the right of my screen under RECENT DISCUSSIONS- it says "Looking good all season" LOL, how conceited! lol
This is how you answer an inquiry. Thank you RickBlaine for not flippantly telling her to google it or search the web.
MzCountry likes this.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
post #5 of 20 Old 08-17-2017, 10:04 AM

Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pindiwalAccord View Post
I bought DUNLOP SIGNATURE II for $80 per piece. Driven 500 miles on them. They're soft with nice grip. Good in snow too. Some reviews say they become loud after 30,000 miles. My Honda Accord 2008 is loud anyway (compared to Camry, Altima or Fusion).
500 miles? Is there snow in Scranton right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker View Post
This is how you answer an inquiry. Thank you RickBlaine for not flippantly telling her to google it or search the web.
Well, I DID say to search Discount Tire and Tire Rack for reviews....And she did write a well-written, concise post.

If she wrote:
"im look 4 tire my car need fer work idk what to get not 2 much mony but not rocking need adviss"

....Then the response would be different.

My point is that reviews on those two websites are from owners, not hearsay (I heard they are loud) and you get an idea of what is good about the tire and what matters to you. Would I buy an unrated tire? NO WAY! - even if it was a "famous brand". I bought my Continentals DWS for about $110 each- only one tire was rated higher overall- but it was $58 more per tire and the snow and rain rating was lower, as was the handling, but it would allegedly last 10,000 more miles so it received a higher rating.

For some, lasting 60,000 miles is more important. For me, 50,000 miles plus better traction in rain and light snow is better. I went with a slightly wider tire size too.....
UnknownJinX likes this.
post #6 of 20 Old 08-17-2017, 11:06 AM
5th Gear

I live in Texas where winter weather doesn't happen so I decided to go with a Ultra High Performance All-season tire because when it rains in Texas it pours! I chose the BFGoodrich G-Force COMP-2 A/S, an outstanding tire for my application when combined with the Acura 17mm rear sway bar, 35/33 PSI
Attached Images
MzCountry likes this.

Wife's
2007 Accord EX-L coupe J30A5 automatic Cool Blue-Black Interior
17mm rear bar, BFG COMP-2 A/S, Philips 9006 CrystalVision Ultra, interior LEDs, 3m Ceramic 40%

Mine
2016 Mazda6 Touring manual Deep Crystal Blue Mica/Sand leatherette

Gone:
2007 Accord EX-L sedan J30A5 6-speed For Mazda6
2007 Accord EX-L sedan K24A8 manual Totaled
2007 Accord EX-L sedan K24A8 automatic For Wife's coupe
2004 Accord EX-L sedan K24A8 manual Leased
2003 Acura TL-S sedan Leased
post #7 of 20 Old 08-17-2017, 12:24 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MzCountry View Post
I need all season my main thing is I need something good in rain and snow due to my job as we are mandatory staff. I'm looking for a speed rating of V or better. Also a performance tire.
With most all-season tires, you are leaning towards one or the other. If you get more summer performance, be prepared to get stuck in snow; if you get better winter traction, you have less fun in summer. Having 2 sets of tires is the only way to have fun in summer and good traction in winter.

From my experience, the all-season/all-weather tires with more winter traction emphasis suck at summer traction. When I got my RX-8, it came with a set of Michelin all-season with a good amount of tread that's good to use in winter, with the little snow mountain symbol. It had terrible traction. It doesn't take much to spin the rear tires when I make turns in 1st gear, it's embarrassing as hell. The parts guy at the Honda dealership, who owns an S2000, suggested a set of Falken 453 summer tires. They are amazing and grab the road really well. Very happy with them.

If you want more winter traction, you want to look for all-weather tires. One tire I can recommend is the Nokian WRG3 all-weather tires, which DerekWildstar recommended to me. General reviews are also pretty good. When it snowed in Victoria, the car plowed through snow quite effortlessly. The only time it got stuck was when I was trying to go up a deep slope with some nasty sludge, but then again, I doubt anything without studs would make it. Summer traction is alright, but not the best you can get like I said above.

Some high-performance all-season tires are only marketed as all-season. Driving them in a snowy/rainy winter is a recipe for a disaster. If you live in Texas(like JBrian), then it's an all-season tire.
Attached Images
MzCountry likes this.

2008 Honda Accord Coupť EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

post #8 of 20 Old 08-17-2017, 01:06 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
MzCountry:

Research!

I second the Continetal DWS as a good choice for great performing all-seasons. You might want to check out the latest iteration of it : Continental DWS06

Check out the review:
MzCountry likes this.

2017 Accord Coupe Touring V6 SNP

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 WOP Sold

2006 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 5AT Graphite
The Following User Says Thank You to TrueBlueV6 For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (08-17-2017)
post #9 of 20 Old 08-18-2017, 02:39 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzCountry View Post
Hello, everyone. As the title says I am looking for new tires. I need all season my main thing is I need something good in rain and snow due to my job as we are mandatory staff. I'm looking for a speed rating of V or better. Also a performance tire. So far I was looking at Bridgestone as my first choice. However, I have assurance/Goodyear they are horrible. I was also hearing good & bad about Hankook, Sumitomo, Yokohama, Michelin and even my choice Bridgestone. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Thank you RickBlaine for the recommendation to search for reviews on our web site. There are man solid responses to your quest for a new set of tires. One thing you mentioned you are mandatory staff. With that in mind if you are able to the best tire for you in the winter would be a winter tire. We have a separate link on our web site where you can also plug in your vehicle and search specifically winter tires. Here is a link to our tire search, just click on tires and you can select Winter Tires under type.

We would also be happy to help you select your next tire if you would like some help, just send us a PM with your year, model and tire size you are looking for. We would happy to make some suggestions based on what your needs are.

Low Prices! More Choices! FREE Shipping!
At The Store:

To Your Door:

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Useful Links:

post #10 of 20 Old 08-18-2017, 03:13 PM
5th Gear

Michelin Pilot Sport either all season or summer are top choices according to CR. I use the all season version and they are great. Tire Rack or Costco.

Tom
'14 Accord Sport 6MT
post #11 of 20 Old 08-22-2017, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
I am Tr

Garage
RickBlaine - Yea, I was rushing out for work, did not have time to fix the title lol. Yes, I have been looking for a good while now for good tires.

Miker - Yes, that is normally the first thing I do. It's so annoying when people do that.

Thank you all so much for the help.

I Be Vlogging Lol

Instagram:
post #12 of 20 Old 08-31-2017, 06:34 PM
2nd Gear

I had installed a pair of Dunlop Signature II tires in front (couldn't afford 4 tires). After three months I had the budget to buy another pair but they don't make this size anymore! After a depression phase, I bought a pair of Dunlop Signature HP. What do you all think?
post #13 of 20 Old 08-31-2017, 07:58 PM
Out of Control

Bridgestone Serenity Plus from Costco when they have the rebate - $480 installed with free rotations, repairs, nitrogen. Great Maryland weather tires, can get in V rated, on my 3rd. set I get 75K on them.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 509K - 2017 EX automatic 2K
post #14 of 20 Old 09-01-2017, 11:00 AM
2nd Gear

Would there be a problem if I mix Dunlop Signature II and Dunlop Signature HP tires (2+2)?
post #15 of 20 Old 09-01-2017, 02:31 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pindiwalAccord View Post
Would there be a problem if I mix Dunlop Signature II and Dunlop Signature HP tires (2+2)?
Call or email Dunlop and ask them.

Tom
'14 Accord Sport 6MT
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.