Passed on some new Civic Wheels...."Cool Story, Bro." - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
  • 1 Post By RickBlaine
  • 1 Post By enne
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-16-2017, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,360 Posts
Passed on some new Civic Wheels...."Cool Story, Bro."

Another story from a Bro.....

I am going to be buying some new tires soon- would like to stick to the superior performance of the Continental DWS tires that have served me well these past 5 years/50,000 miles.

I came across some dealer "take-offs" from a new Civic. Same size- they are 16 inchers, and look very nice. I could have them for a steal!

My hesitation was that they are still the number 1 or 2 stolen wheel in the USA, and then I researched the weight.

My current 2003 Acura RSX 16 inch wheels weigh just 16 pounds. They were the number one stolen wheel in the USA back in 2003-2006....

These 2016 Honda Civic 16 wheels weigh 22.58 pounds, and compete with the Accord Sport wheels for the number one "stolen" spot:

Not a HUGE difference, but enough that my butt dyno would notice based on my experience in a 6 pound wheel weight reduction in a Miata. The Miata accelerated, braked, and cornered like a different car with those 6 pound lighter wheels. Granted, that was a low-powered Miata, but I digress....

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I like the look of those Civic wheels. Some say the "black painted look" pioneered by the Kia Optima may fade in a year or two and look dated? Who knows? If the past is a predictor, they may still be on the "TO STEAL" list for another year or two....

Anyway, the deal breaker were the tires currently on those wheels- they were not my beloved Continentals, but Goodyear Eagle RSA, which have just "OK" and very mixed reviews. Some go 90,000 miles and love them, others get 30,000 and hate them. I've never seen such differing opinions on the same tire. I thought about just Craigslisting those 4 new Eagle tires, but then I am trying to reduce my "to do" list.....

Anyhow, nothing earth shattering in this post, just wanted to share my cool "Bro Story".

enne likes this.

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
PZEV emission vehicle (!)
4-cylinder, 5-speed Automatic Transmission
16.5 pound Acura RSX 16 inch wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 tires
145k miles (as of Jan '18)
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-16-2017, 09:44 AM
3rd Gear

Speaking of tires, can you comment on how the stock Continentals that came on my 17 Sport do in snow?

post #3 of 6 Old 08-16-2017, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBarnaby View Post
Speaking of tires, can you comment on how the stock Continentals that came on my 17 Sport do in snow?
No.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-16-2017, 10:15 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Cool story, bro.
RickBlaine likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #5 of 6 Old 08-16-2017, 01:10 PM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Personally, I just grab the uglier wheels to be the winter tires.

When I bought my Series 2 RX-8, it came with Series 1 factory wheels. Bought some Series 2 OEM ones online and put some summer tires on. The Series 1 OEM wheels will be used for winter tires.

Many people even just run steelies for winter tires.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

post #6 of 6 Old 08-16-2017, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Winter tires? Winter wheels?

This COOL STORY was about wheel weight and wheel theft....perhaps I suck at expressing myself competently? Perhaps another year of walking the earth- solving people's problems, is in order?

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.