Tire Tip: Storage - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-04-2010, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Tire Tip: Storage

Came across with this tire tip while searching for tire storage.

Current Ride:
2011 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Upgrade ,000km
2004 Accord EXL I4 150,000 km

Previous Rides:
1997 Accord EX-R V6
1994 Toyota Cressida I6
1991 Toyota Corolla I4
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-04-2010, 11:41 AM
5th Gear

thanks! i gotta go fix my stock tires now!

`09 I-4 Accord Coupe
Belize Blue Pearl
l OEM Decklid Spoiler l Mugen GP's 18x7.5 l Hankook V12 Evo 225/45-18 l r26 neochro l Skunk2 knob l KSport l
post #3 of 8 Old 04-04-2010, 11:54 AM
6th Gear

Just making it easier for everybody:

'09 CBP EX-L Coupe I4 AT (8/15/09)
The Following User Says Thank You to ElectricFuzz For This Useful Post:
UnknownJinX (04-09-2017)

post #4 of 8 Old 04-06-2010, 03:18 PM
kbd
4th Gear

Just a consideration.....if you are using the "stack" method with rims, place two 2x4 pieces of wood on the bottom before stacking.

2013 Accord EX-L sedan, WOP
Gone:2010 Accord EX-L V6 sedan, AT, Bali Blue Pearl
Gone: 06 Accord V-6 sedan, 6 MT, Carbon Bronze/Ivory - but still in the family -
post #5 of 8 Old 04-09-2017, 07:48 AM
Elvira - the car

So it's time to take my winters off and put the normal tires back on.

This is the first time Ive had a winter set needing storage.

Since I'm going to use the method found here in this thread (stacking with rims) I was curious if anyone has an opinion on whether or not to "condition" the tires before storage.

I will clean the steelies and the tires thoroughly and dry completely prior to storage and placing in some storage bags from TireRack. Alternatives? Large debris bags ?

Is there a best practice you folks follow that includes Armor-Alling the rubber? Use a tire cleaner specifically designed to condition the rubber for long term storage?

I'm open to all suggestions as I'm unsure of the efficacy of slathering a chemical on tires while in storage.

So...

1 Should I condition?
2 If yes, what should I use?
3 What are the thoughts of storage of said tires stacked and covered in the rafters of a garage as opposed to on the floor of the garage. I'd prefer rafters but tell me what's wrong or OK about it. Too hot? Tires dry out quicker? etc.

Appreciate any and all opinions since I'd can't find anything in the 12 posts here that answer my questions. Even TireRack doesn't specifically answer my questions.

TIA

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
post #6 of 8 Old 04-09-2017, 09:59 AM
Out of Control

Garage
Other than the method of storing (stacking, standing or hanging), I can't imagine leaving tires in storage for 8 months at most will have any adverse effect on them. Just leave them as they are.

2007 Accord SE sedan; I-4 automatic
post #7 of 8 Old 04-09-2017, 11:34 AM
Elvira - the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtts60 View Post
Other than the method of storing (stacking, standing or hanging), I can't imagine leaving tires in storage for 8 months at most will have any adverse effect on them. Just leave them as they are.
Thanks for the reply.

I did find a page on the TireRack site that bolds the words

DO NOT APPLY ANY TIRE DRESSINGS. Tire compounds are formulated to resist ozone cracking or weather checking.

should about cover it.

This pretty much covers it.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
post #8 of 8 Old 04-09-2017, 11:37 AM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
Now I gotta put my tires sideways after I get off work. Thanks for the tip.

I don't think I did a good job storing my old tires(that I am getting rid of anyways). I had them put in big plastic bags at Kal Tire after I got my new tires on, then just stacked them together. I didn't check for a long while until I found them blown into the neighbour's yard due to the winds and the bags slashed by the raccoons living nearby. I think there is also water in there as well. I truly am terrible at this.

By the way, how hard is it to sell used tires? Just curious.

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.