Replacement tire recommendations? Thoughts on Nexen n5000 plus? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-12-2016, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Replacement tire recommendations? Thoughts on Nexen n5000 plus?

Have a 2013 Accord sport that currently has Goodyear eagle LS2 tires - they have been a decent tire - car has 45k on it. Local tire dealer is recommending the NEXEN n5000 plus as a good tire for the money ($100/tire) the goodyears are slightly more $ and I was leaning towards going back with them....any experiences with the NEXEN brand - specifically the n5000 plus - or any recommendations for a quality lower priced tire?

Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-12-2016, 08:07 AM
6th Gear

You could probably read the reviews on the Tire Rack website.

2017 Toyota Highlander XLE. Yeah, so call me a traitor!!
2013 Accord Sedan EX-L Nav., Basque Red Pearl II; 100,000 miles
2004 Odyssey EX-L, Havasu Blue Metallic, 245,000 miles when my eldest son took it over
1998 Accord LX Sedan 5-speed, Heather Mist Metallic; went to live with my youngest son. Died Jan. 2015 with 246,000+, (right front axle broke).
post #3 of 9 Old 05-12-2016, 08:08 AM
3rd Gear

Garage
When it comes to tires you get what you paid for. If you buy cheap tires then be prepared for premature wear or other issues. I haven't heard of NEXEN tires so I cant speak to their quality. Look around and go to other places and get their opinions on tires it doesn't hurt and you might get a better deal.

post #4 of 9 Old 05-12-2016, 08:12 AM
6th Gear

I bought a CPO Volvo S40 years ago and the dealer had replaced all the tires with brand new Nexens I guess so they could advertise it had new tires.

They were horrible. Wouldn't balance properly so the car shook violently when I would brake hard, had a wobble at 70mph that couldn't be fixed, and wore extremely quick. I replaced them ASAP and the car drove like new.

My '13 Sport came with Michelin Pilots which were fantastic for 60k miles. When I went to replace them the Michelins were going to be $1200, but I found a deal on Goodyear LS2's that were buy 2 get 2 free with a lifetime alignment purchase. Came out to just under $600 for all 4 mounted and balanced along with roadhazard certificates and a lifetime alignment deal. That was NTB so check around to see about deals.

in short, saving a few bucks now on offbrand tires can lead to a lot of frustration and hassle, where in the end you'll end up still having to buy proper tires.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-12-2016, 08:16 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage

Ultra High Performance All-Season

$94.25/tire, 4/5 star rating on Tire Rack. You'll have to make sure it's the right size and everything, I just put in 2013 Accord LX-S for sizing and went with the stock size they gave. I like Hankook tires. I just got a set of Hankook Optimos for my '99 for $320.

I've heard of Nexen but don't know much about the brand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #6 of 9 Old 05-12-2016, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

the reviews that I've seen on tire rack seem to be pretty positive...for the Nexen. I just recently bought a 2016 Ram 3500 dually (big difference I know) and it came with Nexen tires on it - not enough driving to be able to tell yet.....the goodyears are only $15/tire more so I'm leaning that direction

the Nexens have a 65k mile warranty which is surprising -
post #7 of 9 Old 05-12-2016, 08:26 AM
6th Gear

NTB has the LS2's for $115 a piece and is offering a $100 rebate when you purchase 4. That makes them less than Nexens.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-12-2016, 08:29 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by enne View Post

Ultra High Performance All-Season

$94.25/tire, 4/5 star rating on Tire Rack. You'll have to make sure it's the right size and everything, I just put in 2013 Accord LX-S for sizing and went with the stock size they gave. I like Hankook tires. I just got a set of Hankook Optimos for my '99 for $320.

I've heard of Nexen but don't know much about the brand.
The 18" version that would fit his sport are $152 each for the Hankook.

The LS2's are on sale for $102 a piece.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-12-2016, 11:12 AM
6th Gear

I had LS2's and have never been a Goodyear fan.
I replaced them with Uniroyal Tiger Paws. Good thing I only paid $ 90, because they're very very average.
They don't seem to grip quite as well as the LS's did when they were newer, nor is the gas mileage quite as good.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.