Tire Rotation - Balance Necessary? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-15-2009, 06:57 AM Thread Starter
Probably Hungover...

Send a message via AIM to DreamTFK
Tire Rotation - Balance Necessary?

I need to get my tires rotated and I remember the last mechanic shop I went to they said something about having to get a wheel balance if I get a rotation. While I'm sure it wouldn't hurt is it really necessary? I do have custom 19" wheels if they makes any difference.

Black 06' LX Coupe

6000k HID Headlamps/White LED DRL bulbs
19" Petrol Reach Wheels w/Crossdrilled Rotors
Tint: Windows Headlights & Reverse Lights
Blue LED Step Lights and Dome Light
Alpine Type-R Speakers Front and Back
Kicker 50x4 200W - Mids
Pioneer 600W/Kenwood 12" - Lows
JDM Style Mesh Grill
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-15-2009, 07:02 AM
I snapped my G string....

Send a message via Yahoo to Honda247 Send a message via Skype™ to Honda247
You don't need to balance the tires unless it needs it. You'll be fine just rotating the tires only. Are you doing it your self?

2009 Civic EX TW
K&N Drop in Filter (33-2342)
Eibach SportLines (4.3140)
Apexcone Raptor V2 35W 5000K HIDs (9006)
Nokyas Hyper Yellow Stage1 2500k High/DRL (9005)
Nokyas Hyper Yellow Stage1 2500k Fogs (H11)
Painted Engine Cover

FRANCI5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 Old 07-15-2009, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Probably Hungover...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda247 View Post
You don't need to balance the tires unless it needs it. You'll be fine just rotating the tires only. Are you doing it your self?
No I was going to the honda dealership after work today for an oil change and realized I have not rotated my tires in quite some time, I figured I would just have it done while I'm there.

Black 06' LX Coupe

Kicker 50x4 200W - Mids
JDM Style Mesh Grill

post #4 of 13 Old 07-15-2009, 07:50 AM
I snapped my G string....

Send a message via Yahoo to Honda247 Send a message via Skype™ to Honda247
Cool, just remember if you tire don't shake when going over 55 or 65 MPH then you don't need a balance. I had my stock tire for a year and not once did I need a balance. But since I have new tires and the shop where I got my tires from does rotaions and balancing for free, I don't have to worry.

2009 Civic EX TW
K&N Drop in Filter (33-2342)
Eibach SportLines (4.3140)
Apexcone Raptor V2 35W 5000K HIDs (9006)
Nokyas Hyper Yellow Stage1 2500k High/DRL (9005)
Nokyas Hyper Yellow Stage1 2500k Fogs (H11)
Painted Engine Cover

FRANCI5

post #5 of 13 Old 07-15-2009, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Probably Hungover...

Balance for free? Wow as far as I know theres alot of work that goes into that, you have to pull the tire off the rim. Thanks for the input anyhow!

Black 06' LX Coupe

Kicker 50x4 200W - Mids
JDM Style Mesh Grill
post #6 of 13 Old 07-15-2009, 08:17 AM
Administrator

In general, if the shop did a good job of balancing all 4 wheel/tire combos (and made sure all 4 spun well/smooth), rotating shouldn't cause an issue. Sometimes a shop will put the "worse" tires on the rear so you don't feel any vibraiton issues, but when you rotate those to the front it might bring a vibration along with the rotation. For factory tires this is less prevalent. But overall, do the rotation and see how they feel on the highway. They will feel "different" for a while as you'll have a different wear pattern on the front wheels, but they settle in after a while.

I'm a firm advocate that you don't constantly rebalance wheels, because the wear/tear on the weights being removed/replaced on the rim isn't good for the wheels themselves - and in normal use, a wheel/tire combo doesn't go out of balance (unless you flat-spot the tires by doing power-slides with the P-brake locked) - or you start to spin the wheels inside the tires by doing full-throttle quarter miles or something like that. - so just rotate and enjoy!

andy
post #7 of 13 Old 07-15-2009, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Probably Hungover...

Thanks for the thorough response Andy!

Black 06' LX Coupe

Kicker 50x4 200W - Mids
JDM Style Mesh Grill
post #8 of 13 Old 07-15-2009, 01:27 PM
3rd Gear

I agree that a rebalance is not needed every rotation. Having said that, I just got my new tires at America's Tire last week, and their installed price includes lifetime repair, rotation, and balance. I really like these guys and have used them for my past three cars. Heck, they even put tire dressing on your new shoes.

2008 EXL v-6
35% tint all around
19" HFP's
post #9 of 13 Old 07-16-2009, 02:25 PM
6th Gear

On my 07 with 77,000 I have never had the OEM tires balanced and they are as smooth as always....no vibrations at all...
post #10 of 13 Old 07-17-2009, 08:27 AM

I agree with the others about the balancing not being neccessary. But the odd thing is the local Honda dealer here wants to balance the wheels everytime they rotate the tires. So a tire rotation is $35.

I really like this dealer alot. I've known the service mgr for yrs along with some of the other service advisors. They will tell me what things are a waste of money and all their other service has been very good. I can see a shady dealer wanting to do this but like I said this dealer has been top notch with everything else.
post #11 of 13 Old 07-17-2009, 09:53 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTFK View Post
Balance for free? Wow as far as I know theres alot of work that goes into that, you have to pull the tire off the rim. Thanks for the input anyhow!

.....when I worked at a gas station during college, we balanced the tire/wheel as a unit (that means together, mounted - - - not off the rim).

Has the technology changed since I got my Baccalaureate.........?

ez sends.........

2005 Accord EX V-6 Coupe 6M
Taff. White;cargo net;7-24-05

'13 VW JETTA SPTWGN TDI 6M
Build date:03/12/2013 NO NAV
ZERO SUNROOF:CANDY WHITE

1982 VW Rab. Diesel Pickup 5M
Mojave Beige/ac/bedliner/alloys
(sold to restoration outfit)
post #12 of 13 Old 07-17-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamTFK View Post
I need to get my tires rotated and I remember the last mechanic shop I went to they said something about having to get a wheel balance if I get a rotation. While I'm sure it wouldn't hurt is it really necessary? I do have custom 19" wheels if they makes any difference.
If your tires are uni-directional you can only rotate your tires front to back, not side to side. To rotate them side to side, you will have to have the tires removed from the wheels, placed on the wheel in the desired direction, and then (re)balanced.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-03-2009, 08:29 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezshift5 View Post
.....when I worked at a gas station during college, we balanced the tire/wheel as a unit (that means together, mounted - - - not off the rim).

Has the technology changed since I got my Baccalaureate.........?

ez sends.........
Not anytime that I've ever had my tires balanced. I'm not sure how you'd balance a tire off the rim.

Unless someone knows something different than I do, balancing involves placing small weights inside the edge of the rim to counter and thin spots in the rubber compound, which can cause vibrating at high speeds. Or sometimes you can get something wedged in the edge of the rim, which would have the same effect by causing that part of the tire to be heavier than the rest. Or there's simply the uneven wear on the tread, or even the loss of an existing weight from a previous balance. Hence why it's best to check the balance at every rotation.

Balancing doesn't require constantly taking the tire off the rim; they just put the entire wheel/tire unit in a machine that spins it to check for vibration, to isolate any part of the tire that's out of whack. If it's not out of balance, no further adjustment is done, so nothing to weaken or damage the tire, even over time.

So really when the garage says they're "balancing" the tire, what they're really doing is verifying the balance and correcting it if it needs it, but if the tire checks out, there's no actual balancing that's done. Sort of like checking the oil - if your levels are okay and it looks clean, nothing else needs to be done except a check. Not sure why they don't just call it "checking the balance," since that's really what's happening; guess they figure there's enough reasons to throw a tire out of whack that most likely some balancing will ultimately be necessary.

Proud owner of a 2007 Honda Accord coupe V6/6MT with navi
Nighthawk black pearl/Ebony leather
Wing spoiler
Fog lights
Parrot bluetooth kit
Sport pedals
VentureShield hood protectant
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.