Would You Have Tires Mounted and Balanced at Wal-Mart?? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 05-12-2009, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Would You Have Tires Mounted and Balanced at Wal-Mart??

Would you trust Wal-Mart to mount and balance your tires? If not, where do you typically go to have tires from the Tire Rack mounted? The reason I ask is because I live in a small town although we do happen to have a Super Wal-Mart. We don't have any other dedicated tire places and the few small shops I don't trust. My only other option is to take my car and tires to Discount Tire or the Good Year tire place which are both about 30 minutes away. Not only that, those places also want $15-20 per tire for lifetime balance/rotation and Wal-Mart only charges $7.50 for that same service.

Thanks so much,

Wes

Previously: 2006 Accord Sedan, EX V6, 6-Speed, Alabaster Silver Metallic

Now: 2013 Ford F-150 FX4 Supercrew, w/ 3.5L Ecoboost
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 05-12-2009, 01:04 PM
Car ---------------- Curb

Send a message via AIM to uhohkaitlina
I mean, it's not rocket science to do that... All you need is an alignment rack, which does all the work for you. And the people that work there, I'm sure, are trained to do what they are doing. I probably would if I needed to. It wouldn't be my first choice though. I would just go to Honda. (I have connections there)

2008 EX Coupe
Belize Blue Pearl

20% tint, all around & tails
8000k HID headlights, 3000k HID fogs
debaged, chrome handles
clifford matrix remote start & security
H&R Springs / SPC Camber Kit (rear)
Injen CAI
Deck lid spoiler
Magnaflow dual exhaust conversion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old 05-12-2009, 01:10 PM
On hiatus...

Well, its been my observation that Walmart seems to hire incompetent retards to work in their shop. Unless your Walmart is any different, I would say no.

The only exception is the Walmart in Independence, IA. The people there seemed to know what they were doing and weren't "trash" (but my co car wasn't serviced there).

2011 Pilot EX-L AWD
2010 Corolla LE
2008 Goldwing Navi

post #4 of 25 Old 05-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Anyone but the Red Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhadden View Post
Well, its been my observation that Walmart seems to hire incompetent retards to work in their shop.
It is my experience that is mostly true of any big-chain tire store as well. NTB, Merchants, Goodyear, Firestone etc. I have had horrid experiences with some of them.

Ask yourself this question: Do you want someone who makes $7/hr wielding the air wrench that will be used on your car?

My answer to your question is NO.

Mine:
'07 Accord SE 5spd, Taffeta White SOLD
'96 Accord LX 5spd, SOLD at 303K miles
'03 Element EX 5spd Daily Driver
'08 TL-S 6spd Pearl White
In the household:
'09 Civic EX AT SOLD
'08 Pilot EX-L
'03 Ridgeline RTS
'01 Civic LX AT (retired)

OEM 8th gen V6 coupe wheels for sale:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 Old 05-12-2009, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Yeah, I definitely see your points. Only problem is that the Discount Tire is definitely known to hire high school kids and even the local Honda dealer would use High School kids for oil and tire change. Of course any actual repairs were handled by the licensed auto techs in the shop at $50-$100/hr but you don't get one of those guys for tire changes.

-Wes

post #6 of 25 Old 05-12-2009, 02:01 PM
need 6 speed!

Send a message via AIM to AznX TL
i use to, its not like its their first time doing it. they probably do tons of cars each week, being a grease monkey isnt exactly hard.

-'15 Accord Sport 6-speed
no mods
RIP-08 Accord lx-s 5speed manual/ tafetta white
mods
|DDM tuning 6k hids|12" Alpine Type-R|TSX switchblade|Lip spoiler|Type-R Suede red stitch boot|Gunmetal Type-R knob|
|Intake Resonator Delete|Hyper White led license plate led|led interior bulbs|Smoked Reverse lights|

Previous owned
-97 Acura 2.2CL auto/Flamenco Black
post #7 of 25 Old 05-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Keepin' It R-E-A-L...!!!

Lightbulb

Would I trust a Wal Mart / Costco Sears / Pep Boys / Discount Tire / to do mounting/balancing on my wheels & tires for my daily-driver w/ non'low-profile tires & OEM wheels? Of-course.

But, do I actually go there? No, as I have a local tuner/import alignment shop that does $5/corner mounting-balancing for non'low-profile tires & $10/corner for low-profile tires. And my wheels on my other vehicle(s) are rare/discontinued/expensive.

B.T.W. KP Texan, your price of "$7.50" Walmart is incorrect as you have stated. That's only for lifetime balancing, it excludes mounting. Don't forget the additional charge for valve-stems/caps & tire-disposal fee (if applicable) to add to the Wal Mart price, and make sure to get stick-on wheel-weights (as opposed to clip-on ones which can potentially gouge the outer/inner lips).

Reference:

$8.50/tire -> mounting w/ TPMS ($3.50 w/o TPMS)
$2.00/tire -> valve-stem
$12.50/tire -> lifetime balancing w/ TPMS ($7.50 w/o TPMS)

Check your local vehicle enthusiast forums for recommended indie shops that the locals use in the area. . .
post #8 of 25 Old 05-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

Improper tire mounting can cause scratch on the rims, or even bad mounting, I went to a tire chain-store many years ago to get some street legal competition tires mounted, they were not exotic, being 195/60/14 size, well, one of the tire did not seat properly, and vibrated like crazy, another store noticed that right away and fixed the problem.

The tire store I go to now has the Hunter GSP9700 balancer and tire mounting machine from Hunter as well, their young guys can still scratch rims as I found out, but the one very experienced techician knew how to use the GSP9700 machine to match high spot of the tire with low spot on the rim (or vise versa), he has made a huge difference with tires I've bought from them every single time.

I doubt Wall-Mart would spend the money on a Hunter road force variation balancer, it's even more unlikely everyone who use it would *really* know how to use it!

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

post #9 of 25 Old 05-12-2009, 02:19 PM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to morcheez
now did u really have to ask us...imo you asking us already answered your own question ...why do u need our reassurance to not go there

08 ASM Coupe i4/ tint / lip spoiler / 6k hids / 20" verde chaos 45mm offset 255/35 nitto nt555 / eibach pro kit / autozone grille mod / weathertech floor liners / clarion touchscreen / tsx key / trunk liner/ dual exhaust, v-leds white&amber turn bulbs/ fog lights w nokya 2500 bulbs/ odyssey lower grill/ custom wall in trunk/ 35&20 tint/black roof/ color matched grill and rear "H"
post #10 of 25 Old 05-12-2009, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

I've got a 7th gen so no TPMS for me. I'd still be looking at about $13 per tire since I have to add all that crap in. They also don't mention tire disposal fee but isn't it about $2 per tire or so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by morcheez View Post
now did u really have to ask us...imo you asking us already answered your own question ...why do u need our reassurance to not go there
That's not the only question I asked! I also asked where most choose to get their tires mounted if they purchased from the Tire Rack. Nevertheless, looks like I'll probably count Wal-Mart out. I should change the name of this thread to "Why Would Anyone Be Stupid Enough to Have Tires Mounted and Balanced at Wal-Mart?".

-Wes

post #11 of 25 Old 05-12-2009, 07:14 PM
___
_____

The university I attend is in a small town and the only place in the area that mounts and balances tires is the Super Walmart like two minutes away. I find it much cheaper to do it there than drive very much out of my way for the same service. From my experience, those employed in the automotive department at that Walmart know what they're doing and I've had nothing but good experiences from them.

..Or maybe I'm just stupid as most of you are suggesting.

...But I really don't mind since I'm poor and own a beaten up 5th gen
post #12 of 25 Old 05-13-2009, 06:03 AM
2nd Gear

I've no issues with walmart mounting tires for my vehicle. They do 100's of cars per day and are just as good/bad as the local tire chain.
post #13 of 25 Old 05-13-2009, 06:44 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

Go to Discount Tire. Their job is 100% dealing with tires.....they don't sell groceries.
post #14 of 25 Old 05-13-2009, 06:46 AM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhohkaitlina View Post
I mean, it's not rocket science to do that... All you need is an alignment rack, which does all the work for you. And the people that work there, I'm sure, are trained to do what they are doing. I probably would if I needed to. It wouldn't be my first choice though. I would just go to Honda. (I have connections there)
UH......an allignment rack has zero to do with mounting and balancing tires dear. Maybe it is rocket science.....
post #15 of 25 Old 05-13-2009, 06:59 AM
1st Gear

Wal-Mart tire service

I would personally stay away from Wal-Mart. My brother was a manager for them for over 6 years and he used to tell of the stuff that the service department would mess up. For starters never get an oil change there unless you want an oversized drain plug installed, because they cross thread alot of oil pans, alot! Next, I know the tires in question aren't from Wal-Mart, but this is another thing, Wal-Mart has products made for them to their price point, such as computers, TV's, tires, etc. So, a tire from Wal-Mart may be the same brand and series but may also be slightly different so as the meet a price point Wal-Mart wants. So, in the grand scheme on things I would spend a couple of extra bucks and get it done right.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.