Another Tire Size Question - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-22-2008, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
I'm Right Behind You

Another Tire Size Question

Hello guys, I got a question about tire size.

The stock size in my 04' V6 Accord is P205/60R16. Can I use a 215/60/16?

Will there be a problem?
Will the car ride better/worse/bumpier/better handle?

I have two Michelin/Destiny laying around in great condition. I wil just need to get just two more tires.

I have no clue when it comes to tires.

Thanks in advance

BLUEBOY

CHICKS DON’T DIG DEAD GUYS BUCKLE UP!!!!!!!

2004 ACCORD EXL-V6

2008 ELEMENT EX-AWD
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-23-2008, 03:46 AM
Just another old guy ....

They will work. The only thing is that they will throw off your speed odometer a little. But not enough that it would stop me from doing the swap.

Heres a site that you can plug in the two different sizes to see what the differances are.

post #3 of 9 Old 10-23-2008, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
I'm Right Behind You

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pope View Post
They will work. The only thing is that they will throw off your speed odometer a little. But not enough that it would stop me from doing the swap.
Thanks Pope. Do you think I would be able to tell while driving the car? meaning, will it feel bumpier? will it handle better or worse?

Thanks in advance

BLUEBOY

2004 ACCORD EXL-V6

2008 ELEMENT EX-AWD

post #4 of 9 Old 10-27-2008, 03:06 AM

IMHO it will handle better and feel a little bumpier, but both of these are very minor. Most ppl will never notice a differance. (Now this is if you are keeping the same brand and model of tire.)

If you are upgrading to a tire with a better grip, then these things will be more noticeable.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-27-2008, 11:28 PM
07 Accord EX-L V6 6MT

Send a message via Yahoo to mdnky
NOT a good idea. Your car should have come with a v-rated tire and those Destinys are t-rated. The handling is going to be vastly different and not properly matched to the vehicle.

That speed rating doesn't just give you the top speed the tire can go: higher speed rated tires have softer rubber compounds that also affect handling. You should never go more than one speed rating below what came on the car from the factory. In your case, an h-rated tire would be the minimum. In fact, any professional shop should should refuse to mount them on that vehicle. It's a big legal liability for them to do something like that.

The size difference isn't a big concern. That 205/60/16 has an overall diameter of 25.685" while the 215/60/16 has an overall diameter of 26.157". Your speedo will be off by about 1.18% (when driving 60MPH it'll read 61MPH.)

If you're going for more performance, you're better off staying with a v-rated 205 than the t-rated 215. Even an h-rated 205 would most likely out handle and out grip a t-rated 215 tire.

BTW, a 225/55/16 is an almost perfect match (0.2% difference) for the 205/60/16. Might be something to consider if you're set on wider tires, but stick with an H or higher rating. A lot of 7th gen owners are switching the 215/50/17s to 225/50/17s without any issues like rubbing. I'll be running 225/45/17 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1s for autocross next season.

• 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2DR 4wd V6 6MT, Stone White / Grey
2007 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT, Alabaster Silver Metallic / Black Leather, SOLD Feb 2010 with 14,620 miles
• 1998 Chevy Blazer LT 4wd, 4.3 Vortec V6, white / black leather, 165,256mi
• 1991 Volvo 744 SE turbo, M46, red / black cloth, 99,580mi
post #6 of 9 Old 10-28-2008, 03:48 AM

Good catch Mdnky! I didn't even think about the speed rating of the tires. As I agree.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-28-2008, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
I'm Right Behind You

Dnky and Pope, thanks a bunch guys.
I figured, I would use those tires since they are almost new (2K miles) but one thing I always put attention to, SAFETY.

Besides, I am not cheap so when it the time comes I will buy the rigth set of tires.

Again, I would like to thank you guys for taking time to post responses.

Great website.

BLUEBOY

2004 ACCORD EXL-V6

2008 ELEMENT EX-AWD
post #8 of 9 Old 10-28-2008, 06:20 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnky View Post
NOT a good idea. Your car should have come with a v-rated tire and those Destinys are t-rated. The handling is going to be vastly different and not properly matched to the vehicle.

That speed rating doesn't just give you the top speed the tire can go: higher speed rated tires have softer rubber compounds that also affect handling. You should never go more than one speed rating below what came on the car from the factory. In your case, an h-rated tire would be the minimum. In fact, any professional shop should should refuse to mount them on that vehicle. It's a big legal liability for them to do something like that.
I disagree. Speed ratings indicate exactly just that... the speed the manufacturer tested their tires at.

From TireRack...

"Speed ratings are based on laboratory tests where the tire is pressed against a large diameter metal drum to reflect its appropriate load, and run at ever increasing speeds (in 6.2 mph steps in 10 minute increments) until the tire's required speed has been met."

In addition, I'm not aware of any legal liability caused by installing lower speed-rated tires. I had S-rated tires installed on my GS-R (OEM V-rated) and didn't have any issues at all... nor did the installer question it.

I agree that you will notice a difference in handling (due to softer sidewalls), but I don't think it will cause a dangerous situation unless you're driving your vehicle at its limits.

A bigger consideration is the load index.

2017 Honda Odyssey EX-L RES (Smoky Topaz)
2007 Honda Accord EX-L V6 AT 4DR (Alabaster Silver Metallic)
2005 Honda Pilot EX-L (Desert Rock Metallic)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier LS sedan (silver)
1995 Yamaha FZR600
1995 Suzuki Katana 600 (teal)
1996 Acura Integra GS-R sedan (Black Currant Pearl)
1984 Chevrolet Celebrity (brown)
post #9 of 9 Old 11-02-2008, 07:00 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnky View Post

The size difference isn't a big concern. That 205/60/16 has an overall diameter of 25.685" while the 215/60/16 has an overall diameter of 26.157". Your speedo will be off by about 1.18% (when driving 60MPH it'll read 61MPH.)

If you're going for more performance, you're better off staying with a v-rated 205 than the t-rated 215. Even an h-rated 205 would most likely out handle and out grip a t-rated 215 tire.

BTW, a 225/55/16 is an almost perfect match (0.2% difference) for the 205/60/16. Might be something to consider if you're set on wider tires, but stick with an H or higher rating. A lot of 7th gen owners are switching the 215/50/17s to 225/50/17s without any issues like rubbing. I'll be running 225/45/17 Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1s for autocross next season.
This is true. I called tirerack and asked about getting Yoko Avid TRZ for my car and he said no way. They are T rated and for legal issues, Insurance companies can deny accident claims. I guess it makes sense but what about snow tires that a rated "S" or sometimes "Q". Tirerack said snow tires are an exception? Sounds like we're gettin squirreled..

2005 Honda Accord EX Auto Certifed Satin 100k 2.4L
225/50/17 HFP EP-R5 Yokohama YK520-Summer
205/60/16 Dunlop Winter Sport 3D-Winter
Mobile 1
Lip
Tint
Fog Lights
KN Drop
AutoUpLinkUSA--Auto Dealer: Inventory Data Collection/Photography/Window Labels/Publishing..(Field Agent)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.