Question on Tire Rotation with TPMS/8th Gen... - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 10-21-2008, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Question on Tire Rotation with TPMS/8th Gen...

I searched the forum, but did not come up with any hits that answered this question. Is there anything special that needs to be done when performing a tire rotation due to the TPMS? I see all these tire places that charge extra for cars equipped with TPMS. Thanks.
...Eddie

Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-21-2008, 03:32 PM
4th Gear

Charging more for a tire rotation with TPMS. You have to be kidding me. Depending on the system you would only have to reset the system to let it relearn the position of the sensors, but for the accord I don't think that is needed. Just simply rotate.

Current:
13 Honda Accord EXL V6 Crystal Black
12 Honda Pilot 4WD EXL-RES Bali Blue

Previous:
10 Honda Crosstour 4WD EXL Glacier Blue
10 Honda Pilot 4WD EXL-RES Bali Blue
08 Honda Accord EX I4 Sedan PMM
07 Honda Pilot 4WD EXL-RES
06 Honda Accord SE Sedan
04.5 VW Touareg V8
04 VW Touareg V6
01.5 Audi 1.8T Quattro
01.5 VW Jetta VR6
98 Acura Integra RS
post #3 of 8 Old 10-21-2008, 04:36 PM
4th Gear

Send a message via AIM to ssmtsx
It doesnt matter with our cars, but with some cars (gm??) the system has to be reset each time the tires are rotated. I believe on those cars the TPMS sends each tire PSI to a display in the cars dashboard.

post #4 of 8 Old 10-21-2008, 04:39 PM
O do u know the buffinman

I've already done mine once. Nothing other than rotating tires

If someone charges extra for rotation on Accord w/TPMS they are crooks!!

I1
post #5 of 8 Old 10-21-2008, 04:43 PM
need 6 speed!

Send a message via AIM to AznX TL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector1 View Post
I've already done mine once. Nothing other than rotating tires

If someone charges extra for rotation on Accord w/TPMS they are crooks!!

I1
walmart charges 1.50 per tire for rotation....so $6 all together, but for tpms they charge $6.50 per tire.

-'15 Accord Sport 6-speed
no mods
RIP-08 Accord lx-s 5speed manual/ tafetta white
mods
|DDM tuning 6k hids|12" Alpine Type-R|TSX switchblade|Lip spoiler|Type-R Suede red stitch boot|Gunmetal Type-R knob|
|Intake Resonator Delete|Hyper White led license plate led|led interior bulbs|Smoked Reverse lights|

Previous owned
-97 Acura 2.2CL auto/Flamenco Black
post #6 of 8 Old 10-21-2008, 05:21 PM
O do u know the buffinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznX TL View Post
walmart charges 1.50 per tire for rotation....so $6 all together, but for tpms they charge $6.50 per tire.
And if they really want to stick it to you they can charge 20 more for a relearn"CROOKS"

I1
post #7 of 8 Old 10-22-2008, 10:07 AM
4th Gear

Page 297 in the manual talks about the TPMS system. Our cars have the direct method using the valve stem as opposed to the indirect method using sensors in the ABS system. It is the indirect method that needs the "relearning". No relearning fee is appropriate for our cars nor is tire rotation an issue. If we change tires now or later, special attention must be paid to reusing the valve stem and TPMS monitors. I think everything I just said is correct..I'm not trying to be the expert here.

2008 Accord Sedan EX-L V6, White Diamond Pearl
Weather Tech Mats
30% Tint..otherwise, 100% stock
post #8 of 8 Old 10-27-2008, 10:47 PM
07 Accord EX-L V6 6MT

Send a message via Yahoo to mdnky
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcjr View Post
Page 297 in the manual talks about the TPMS system. Our cars have the direct method using the valve stem as opposed to the indirect method using sensors in the ABS system. It is the indirect method that needs the "relearning". No relearning fee is appropriate for our cars nor is tire rotation an issue. If we change tires now or later, special attention must be paid to reusing the valve stem and TPMS monitors. I think everything I just said is correct..I'm not trying to be the expert here.
Partially correct. The new Accords don't need to be reset, but some other vehicles do. As someone else said, it's the ones with id'd sensors so the vehicle can tell exactly where the tire is.

On some of these vehicles, as long as you follow the manufacturer's rotation pattern (almost always a front-to-back and one axle is crossed depending on FWD or RWD) all you have to do is a "task" of some kind to tell the vehicle computer (similar to resetting your maintenance minder.) If you deviate, and say do only front-to-back without the cross, then a special device is needed to reset the system (expensive piece of equipment.) Others require a reset every-time.

Smaller shops will charge, and for the most part I don't blame them. That device capable of doing most cars is not cheap. The dealers of those vehicles even charge for this. The only place I know that doesn't for sure is Sears. I think most affiliated (corporate) Firestone shops also do it for free, but don't quote me on that. I'm not sure about Goodyear corporate shops.

Pony up the $15 for the rotation and $11.25 to $13.99 (depends on sidewall aspect) for the balance on each tire at Sears. For about $70 or so once you'll get lifetime rotations and balances for free until you wear those tires out. You can go in every 5K-7K miles and get it done. A lot cheaper in the long run than 8 to 6 trips for the same thing at Wally World. Even at 5 times its cheaper.

5 trips to Wally World for rotate & bal (assuming they don't charge the TPMS rate): 12.5x4=50, 1.5x4=6. 6x5=30. 50+30 = 80. $80 total for 5 trips

If they do charge the TPMS rate: 12.5x4=50, 6.5x4=26. 26x5=130. 50+130= 180. $180 for 5 trips. ((If they charge the reset fee, add another $100 for a total of $280))

• 2010 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2DR 4wd V6 6MT, Stone White / Grey
2007 Honda Accord EX-L V6 6MT, Alabaster Silver Metallic / Black Leather, SOLD Feb 2010 with 14,620 miles
• 1998 Chevy Blazer LT 4wd, 4.3 Vortec V6, white / black leather, 165,256mi
• 1991 Volvo 744 SE turbo, M46, red / black cloth, 99,580mi
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.