Discount Tire "Replacement Warranty" - Hype or Not? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-22-2008, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Swirl Free

Discount Tire "Replacement Warranty" - Hype or Not?

So for $60 discount tire will warrant all four wheels for the life of the tire... What's your take, is it worth it?

Below is an excerpt from their site with details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discount Tire
Ever had a blowout on the freeway? How about a run-in with a pothole? You've no doubt seen debris in the road such as broken glass and nails. Our Certificates for Free Replacement eliminate the financial burden of replacing these damaged tires.
Your spare tire is a temporary solution. Unfortunately, more often than not, the tire cannot be repaired and must be replaced. Now imagine this happening while there is still plenty of life left in the tire. Having to pay for a tire twice would frustrate anyone.

How am I Covered?
In the event one or more of your tires fail due to defect, or incurs damage that cannot be repaired, Discount Tire will replace it absolutely FREE. Regardless of the number of miles you put on the tires, you will be covered for the life of the original tread down to 3/32" remaining, or 3 years from the date of purchase. We have been offering this warranty for over 30 years. This Certificate for Free Replacement is unbeatable in the tire industry!

Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-22-2008, 07:21 AM
Lock it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorCity Honda View Post
So for $60 discount tire will warrant all four wheels for the life of the tire... What's your take, is it worth it?

Below is an excerpt from their site with details
I found a nail in one of my tires back in December. It couldn't be repaired as it was too far out near the sidewall. I went in and they replaced the tire. The catch is you have to buy a new warranty for the new tire. Even so 18 bucks (compared to well over a hundred if I hadn't bought the certificates) for a new tire isn't bad.

08 Accord Sedan EX-L V6
Polished Metal
Black Leather

93 Accord SE Coupe 212K

Previously owned
1980 Accord 3 door 5 speed
1999 Buick Regal GSE Supercharged
2000 Audi A4 Quattro 5 Speed
2000 Cadillac STS N*
post #3 of 10 Old 04-22-2008, 09:07 AM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to krazyfiend
my friends who have suv's and stuff rolling on 20's or 24's all go through DT and do this warranty MCH...

however, they are friends w/ the mngr and im not sure if that smooths the process... but I've seen these guys gets many tires replaced under the warranty coverage. And as Jeffery said, you have to simply buy the warranty for the new tire...much better 20$ or so than 200$+ every time you blister/warp/puncture a tire.

It almost seems like how CostCo used to warranty all of their electronics for life... that policy has changed, it makes me wonder if DT will eventually change there's or if there are enough folks who don't use the warranty or forget about it, that it makes it profitable for DT in the end.

Current Stable-
~'10 Accord Coupe PMM w/Ivory EX-L V6 (pur. 8.24.10) -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~'92 Mercedes 190e i-6 183k miles (1 family ownership)

Past Stable-
08' Accord Coupe PMM w/Blk EX-L V6 31k miles (pur. 10.25.07-sold 8.24.10)
98' V8 Ford SHO Blk on Blk (sold outright)
91' 300zx MT N/A (totaled)

post #4 of 10 Old 04-22-2008, 02:12 PM
3rd Gear

I am a firm believer in Discount Tire's warranty program. I bought tires for my wife's mini van back in 2005 and have yet to have to buy, or shall we say pay full price for a replacement tire and all four tires are still relatively new because of replacements. When I bought my '08 Coupe I purchased certificates and lifetime rotation / balance for the michelin tires.

2008 San Marino Red Accord EX Coupe I4
Additions include:
OEM Parts: Rear Wing Spoiler, Driving Lights, Pin Stripe, Wheel Locks, Splash Guards, Trunk Lid Insulator, Trunk Cargo Net, Cargo Hook, Interior Illumination, leather steering wheel, leather shift knob, under dash covers, V6 OEM 18" Wheels and 09 TSX Switchblade Key!
After Market Parts: Tinted Windows, Sirius Satellite Radio and Eibach Pro-Kit springs
Mods: De-badged Trunk
Future Mods: HFP Underbody Spoiler Kit
post #5 of 10 Old 04-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Old Bird...sometimes wise

It has worked for me in the past, I'll buy it again. Saved me about $200!
post #6 of 10 Old 04-22-2008, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Swirl Free

Ok I am sold... cha ching $$...

Thanks fellas....
post #7 of 10 Old 04-26-2008, 04:00 PM
3rd Gear

im a believer too. just do what what is necessary from you to maintain them and it'll likely be covered. i have an imbalance and rode low on my civics low profiles.. needless to say i forked out 120 a piece... when they wore uneven and riding low ruined them

but when i'd run over a nail.... boom got a new tire.

cant say i have never been tempted to run over a nail intentially to get new tires every now and then.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-27-2008, 05:08 AM
Go Tigers!

I think they pro-rate the certificates. Less for cheaper tires, more for good ones. You have to weigh the price of replacing a tire to purchasing the certificates.
I put some cheap tires on my 91, and paid $8 per tire for the cert. A year later, they needed to replace one, and had to pay for a new cert. That's $40 in cert. for a $37 tire. Now if another needs to be replaced, I'll be ahead of the game.
If you plan to keep the car, it's good insurance.

91 Accord EX AT
post #9 of 10 Old 04-29-2008, 04:30 PM
2007 EX-L V6 6MT Blk/Blk

2 new michelins in the last month. DT will sell you warranties on your OEM's as well as on replacements. First tire got an impact blister on the sidewall (tollway commuter bonus prize) and I had to buy the new tire and 4 warranties (about $25/tire). 2 weeks later, a second tire same story, replaced under the 2 week old warranty with no fuss, paid $23 for a warranty on the new (free) tire and off I went. It's more than paid for itself. I have bought many sets of tires from DT and tell everyone I know to do business with them.

Oh, and I have 2 bent rims too.....time to get new rims and the wife won't even compain! I'll keep these OEM rims for next winter I guess. Never liked them anyway.

I try, after experience, to stay away from the Discount Tire brand tires though. They're a bargain, but they're not very good tires. Now, I like to ride the best tires available for whatever vehicle it is....seems to me that is where the real long term value is, even though it can be expensive up front.

2007 Accord EX-L V6 6MT NAV; Nighthawk Black, Black Leather
post #10 of 10 Old 04-29-2008, 04:56 PM
5th Gear

Wow! I have never had to replace a tire due to damage. I've had a couple plugged because of a nail or the like but never had to replace one other than it was worn out and time for new all the way around. I was about to say I think the warranty is a waste of money but apparently, a few of you have had the opportunity to use it.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.