bought a pair of Falken Ziex ze 612+ today - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 11-18-2013, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
banned

bought a pair of Falken Ziex ze 612+ today

Discount would not allow me to install the pair I bought in the front of the car. They said they were only allowed to install 2 tires bought in the back cause for safety reasons regarding the need for added stability in the back. You can lose control from your front tires just as easily as your back tires and there is no law disallowing a pair of tires to only be installed in the back simply because the rear tires are older or more worn and thus need to be rotated to the front negating the use of your brand new pair for your Front Wheel drive car. I have bought a pair before from DT and never had that rule so vehemently applied.

When I insisted I wanted my 2 brand new Falken Ziex on the front, they were adamant about some safety issue and that "they were not allowed" to and would have to rotate the old tires on the back to the front and install 2 brand new tires in the back thus negating the added performance and tread of 2 brand new tires to a front wheel drive car?!?! No other tire shop that I know of has this ridiculous rule in place and I am certain it is in place to literally force people into buying 4 tires rather then two.

I found this ludicrous and just a ploy to sell you more tires because they know most cars are FWD and the fronts do all the maneuvering and "heavy lifting" due to the having to hold up the weight of the engine and that the back pair of tires are basically just trivial and "along for the ride" and add nothing in terms of complexity and as such, you can simply replace the front pair and forget the backs even exist other then having sufficient air. Heck if you don't have passengers in the back seat regularly, the back tires don't even have to be comfortable just be able to hold air and not much else.

I may be exaggerating the insignificance of the rear tires a tad and I might just buy 2 more cause I really like the comfort level in terms of the quietness of these Falkens and we all know how important comfort is for the tight suspension of the Accord so the issue may be moot but if you are on a budget or if times are tough and we are living in hard times, I found this rule to at the very least, clash with the times. Since there is no law regarding this, I found it to be a selfish ploy to either force public initially to buy 4 new tires at once or later when the olds wear out faster due to being rotated to the front so they will need replacing faster. Ofcourse, we all know the front pair of tires wear out faster in a FWD car doh so I found this to be a clever little ploy discount is using in the absence of any law regarding safety concerns. What does DA think..

Btw, the tires are fantastic and I plan on getting a pair for the fronts cause they are super quiet, very grippy and feel real rigid and thus have helped the car track better and this is just in the back so think about added handling once I get some up front! It was between these Falken Ziex 612+ or Kumho Ecsta Asx and in hindsight, 1010tires rated these way better saying the Ecstas are noisier at all speeds. Anyone got a comment on either tire?

Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-18-2013, 08:54 PM

post #3 of 5 Old 11-19-2013, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
banned

I have a V6 so the standard for 2006 VSA would kick in the second the rears kick out

Bump, Someone on DA has bought one of these two "house brands" from Discount, either:
Falken Ziex or Kumho Ecstas...
which one is better? I got today to swap them out but the reviews hash out that the Falkens are better for reduced noise. I get no snow so do not need to know about snow performance nor ice. What say you obligatory new tire buyers of DA?!

post #4 of 5 Old 11-19-2013, 12:42 PM
Corvalis TTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14HybridAccord View Post
I have a V6 so the standard for 2006 VSA would kick in the second the rears kick out
Don't be so sure. I've had the rear end come out on me even when VSA is trying its best to stop it. Just in case you don't know - VSA cannot repeal the laws of physics. Even with the VSA the back end can and WILL come out you.

The tire shop place was right to refuse to put those tires on the front. You should always have 4 of the same tires on a car. If that's not possible then the tires withe the most traction should be on the BACK.

Mark - Retired automotive lighting engineer
14 Accord Touring V6 Sedan

2014 Audi S4 | 2016 Porsche GT3-RS | 08 Accord Sedan EX-L V6 | 2012 Cessna 400 Corvalis TTX

Gone but not forgotten :97 Jaguar XJ6 | 95 Ford Taurus SHO | 77 MGB
post #5 of 5 Old 11-19-2013, 01:10 PM Thread Starter
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus View Post
Don't be so sure. I've had the rear end come out on me even when VSA is trying its best to stop it. Just in case you don't know - VSA cannot repeal the laws of physics. Even with the VSA the back end can and WILL come out you.

The tire shop place was right to refuse to put those tires on the front. You should always have 4 of the same tires on a car. If that's not possible then the tires withe the most traction should be on the BACK.
You are right buddy. I went back to DT and got a second pair of Falken Ziex 612+. Noone wants to comment on these? BTW, I confirmed the Falkens are better then the Kumhos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus View Post
Yeah but I wouldn't drive like a total loon in constant rain. I am speaking of minor precipitation, intermittent moisture or just the occasional puddle not constant rain! VSA is a champ in these common and constant scenarios not the aberration of a monsoon, lol.

Ladies and gentleman, this give me the opportunity for another visual reminder:

Standard for the 2006 on only the V6s and much to the chagrin of the I4 EX and EX-L (they did not have Touring trims in the 7th gen) owners who wanted it so bad and would have went perfect with those leather seats, Navi systems. For V6 owners, I feel the VSA is pivotal in making up for the added cost of having to replace the TB on the V6.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.