Continental PureContact or Pirelli Cinturato P7 Tires? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 11-12-2013, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Continental PureContact or Pirelli Cinturato P7 Tires?

So, my 2008 Honda Accord V6 EX Sedan OEM Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 tires are starting to show their cords, dry rotting, and are close to their wear marks, so its time for new tires (Only 33,000 miles). Also, not sure whether to blame the tires, the 17” rims, or the Honda Accord itself, but I am tired of the brutal bone jarring I get when hitting expansion joints, and the excessive road noise.

So, I am looking at the following top two (Non-Michelin) tires as rated by both Consumer Reports and Tire Rack, but I am struggling with which one to choose. I would like to hear positive/negative comments from users that have actually installed them on their Accords.

1) Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology

2) Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus

EDIT: Adding the following to the list. As it stands now, I am leaning towards the Continentals due to the better handling and superior wet road characteristics, at a slight loss in quietness and smoothness.

3) Turanza Serenity Plus

As a side note, do they typically install new TPMS sensors as they have a limited life span? I wish I could just disable the warning light.

Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 11-12-2013, 09:21 AM

You can plug both tires into tirerack and compare them side by side. Off the top I believe the Pirelli is better. The conti is a lrr(low rolling resistance) tire I think.

post #3 of 19 Old 11-12-2013, 09:44 AM
4th Gear

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity.

post #4 of 19 Old 11-12-2013, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBlackEXLV6 View Post
The Turanza Serenity Plus is the third top user review rated tire in the Grand Touring All Season class on Tire Rack, so I have not completely excluded that as an option as well.
post #5 of 19 Old 11-12-2013, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatinSilver View Post
You can plug both tires into tirerack and compare them side by side. Off the top I believe the Pirelli is better. The conti is a lrr(low rolling resistance) tire I think.
Yes, I read all the reviews and comparisons, but there are some advantages and disadvantages to both, so it is a tough decision. For instance I read that some are having problems holding a straight line at speed with the Continental on the Accord, and some report it is loud or has a harsh ride (While others report the opposite). On the positive side, the Continental has very good dry and wet testing reports. On the Pirelli side, reports indicate that it might not have a long tire life, but users generally report a smooth and quiet ride. I had Pirellis on my pickup truck and the ride and grip were fantastic, but the wear was terrible (The two generally go hand in hand).
post #6 of 19 Old 11-12-2013, 01:07 PM
LEAVE ME ALONE, DEER!!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
abc123, you have PM about my thoughts.....

current car: 2007 Honda Accord LX-SE 4dr 2.4 MT 20xk miles (slowly and gradually nursing her back to health)

prior vehicles:
2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (409k miles, RIP)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (197k, blown head gasket)
1993 Honda Accord (retired 369k)
post #7 of 19 Old 11-12-2013, 01:53 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBlackEXLV6 View Post
I have the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity "Plus" Love this tire. Great road feel, wet & dry traction, and road noise is a lot quieter than the original Dunlops that came with the car. Bought these 11 months ago and now have 10,000 miles on them. Showing very little wear right now.
post #8 of 19 Old 11-12-2013, 03:03 PM

The only Conti that I've read excellent reviews about is the DWS. That's the only one I'd get most likely.
post #9 of 19 Old 11-12-2013, 06:46 PM
Freelance Gynecologist

I've had the DWS Continental on another car and it was a very good all-around tire. The only concern I ever had was how thin the sidewall on the tire was, but it was a non-issue once it was on the car. Minor flex could be felt in a corner if I was moving fast, I did like them though, very quiet.

That said, I've heard a lot of great things about the Turanza Serenity as well. If I were going to be getting a tire for the accord, I would get the Bridgestone.

'12 Accord Coupe
post #10 of 19 Old 11-12-2013, 09:08 PM
LEAVE ME ALONE, DEER!!!!

Send a message via AIM to stiller fan Send a message via Yahoo to stiller fan Send a message via Skype™ to stiller fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 LX View Post
I have the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity "Plus" Love this tire. Great road feel, wet & dry traction, and road noise is a lot quieter than the original Dunlops that came with the car. Bought these 11 months ago and now have 10,000 miles on them. Showing very little wear right now.
the serenity's were good in the rain, no doubt. they seemed to be a bit tougher on ride quality. this is probably cause of the performance compound that they use, which gives you more grip.

i personally wouldn't buy the serenity's again. i had too many issues with that particular model (radial pull, vibration).

current car: 2007 Honda Accord LX-SE 4dr 2.4 MT 20xk miles (slowly and gradually nursing her back to health)

prior vehicles:
2007 Honda Accord LX Coupe 2.4 MT (409k miles, RIP)
1999 Honda Accord coupe (197k, blown head gasket)
1993 Honda Accord (retired 369k)
post #11 of 19 Old 11-13-2013, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Thanks for all the opinions. Between that, and reading various reviews and test results different places, I decided on getting the Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology tires from Tire Rack as they would best fit my driving style and the weather conditions in my area. I also ordered a set of TPMS sensors from Bernardi auto parts.
post #12 of 19 Old 11-14-2013, 06:09 AM
Roll Tide!

Thanked 1,003 Times in 757 Posts
I love reading those tire rack reviews (or any other vender's website that contain reviews) were people say X brand and Y model of tires are the greatest ever, then they go on to compare them to their worn-out junk OEM tires after riding on them only a few hundred miles...well no duh, ANY new tire will feel, look, and sound much better than anything that was worn out. What is rarely every stated is how well they handle, how they feel on the road, and how noisy they are when they have 50, 40, 30, or even 20$ of life left.

I also love how people get 25K out of a pair of tires and fail to take responsibility for their poor driving habits, poor alignment, poor tire inflation, poor rotation, and their poor choice in a tire that isn't spec'd for as good or better than the manufacturer recommends.

Then what I really love are the paid reviews that companies (manufacturers and vendors) have written and posted for them; an unethical advertising practice to say the least.

Enjoy the Continentals. While most of their tire models are junk, I too have read some positive reviews on that model too.

2007 V6 AT Sedan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 19 Old 02-15-2014, 07:04 AM
1st Gear

I'm about to order the for my 2007 Accord EX i4 Coupe. Normally I would order online and once the tires arrive, I'd take them to Walmart to get them installed (they offer the lifetime rotation and balance - most places just offer lifetime rotation). But I got burned the last online purchase I made because the tires had problems. It ended up being a mess to diagnose, confirm the tires were bad, etc. I ended up having to go to three different tire places to get those bad Hankooks replaced. I would prefer to try to get a good B&M place to just match the online price.

2007 i4 Coupe EX-L Navi Auto, Bought new Fall 2007
Previous Accords we had in the family:
2004 i4 EX-L Sedan Navi Auto, 1996 Accord Sedan
(Also have '14 RDX AWD Tech)
post #14 of 19 Old 02-15-2014, 07:14 AM

I have Hankooks now. What model are they and what was wrong with them? I ordered online via DTD and had WM install them. Thanks!
post #15 of 19 Old 02-17-2014, 09:46 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
Thanks for all the opinions. Between that, and reading various reviews and test results different places, I decided on getting the Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology tires from Tire Rack as they would best fit my driving style and the weather conditions in my area. I also ordered a set of TPMS sensors from Bernardi auto parts.
Any updates since you bought these?

Recommend them?

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.