Cooper CS4 Touring issue - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 10-31-2013, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Cooper CS4 Touring issue

I've had a set of these tires for almost 3 years. They wear well (still have 5/32" of tread left) and have decent snow traction. My only complaints up to this point have been that they're not the smoothest riding tire (not sure if this is a balance issue or a design issue) and recurring rim leaks (again, not sure if this is an issue with the tire or with the OEM wheels).

Yesterday I took my vehicle in to have them look at leaks on both front tires. When they looked at the first tire, they did find a rim leak, but they showed a more serious issue... there was a sizeable crack along the inside sidewall. The tire guy said that the crack wasn't leaking, but he thought that the tire was unsafe to drive on. He also showed me that the other front tire had the same issue and said that one of the rear tires was also starting to crack.

I asked the service writer if that was unusual, but he said that it was fairly common due to our weather... particularly if the vehicle is parked outside. This being the first time it has ever happened to me, I don't really buy his story. I don't recall when the tires were made off the top of my head, but I do recall checking the manufacturing date when I first got them and thinking that they weren't old stock.

In any case, I had them order another set of CS4s. Part of the reason was because I didn't really want to drive on them, so I was stuck getting tires there. Another reason is because I've been happy (up until now) with how the tires performed. I'm hoping it was an issue with those specific res (manufacturing defect) rather than an issue with all CS4s.

I'm getting the new set for a pretty good deal. They're giving me credit on two (possibly three) of the tires (under their road hazard warranty). In addition, there's a $60 mail-in rebate from Cooper available, plus the store is giving me a $50 gift card.

Has anyone ever had this issue before... particularly other CS4 owners? I've had many different tire brands in the past (Bridgestone, Firestone, Dunlop, Goodyear and Michelin), and I've only had to replace them due to treadwear not sidewall cracks.

2017 Honda Odyssey EX-L RES (Smoky Topaz)
2007 Honda Accord EX-L V6 AT 4DR (Alabaster Silver Metallic)
2005 Honda Pilot EX-L (Desert Rock Metallic)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier LS sedan (silver)
1995 Yamaha FZR600
1995 Suzuki Katana 600 (teal)
1996 Acura Integra GS-R sedan (Black Currant Pearl)
1984 Chevrolet Celebrity (brown)
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-31-2013, 08:42 AM
CM6
RIP my Acorn

Garage
I have Cooper CS4's on both of my sets of rims and the sidewall thing is common. My summer set (about 6/32nds) is starting to show the cracks. My winter set's tires are too new to advise on. The dealership I worked at used CS4's as the "go-to" tire and because of that I have seen/worked with them quite often. The "rim leaks" (bead leaks) are a problem with Honda alloy wheels. They are not specific to the CS4's.

Sent from

2006 Accord V6 6MT 4D - TOTALED
Carbon Bronze

2014 Ford Focus ST 6MT 5D
Spirit Blue
post #3 of 6 Old 10-31-2013, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM6 View Post
I have Cooper CS4's on both of my sets of rims and the sidewall thing is common. My summer set (about 6/32nds) is starting to show the cracks. My winter set's tires are too new to advise on. The dealership I worked at used CS4's as the "go-to" tire and because of that I have seen/worked with them quite often. The "rim leaks" (bead leaks) are a problem with Honda alloy wheels. They are not specific to the CS4's.

Sent from
Thanks for the response.

I was thinking the rim leak was an issue with Honda wheels (corrosion?), but I wasn't sure. The odd thing is that I get rim leaks repeatedly on three of the four wheels... not sure why that fourth one never has had any issues. Do you have any recommendations on how to prevent the rim leaks from happening so often on the Honda wheels?

Regarding the cracking, is this a common issue with all tires, Cooper tires or just the CS4? Also, why do you still get CS4s despite the cracking issue?

1995 Yamaha FZR600

post #4 of 6 Old 10-31-2013, 09:01 AM
CM6
RIP my Acorn

Garage
I will attempt to answer all your questions

There isn't a way that I know of to prevent the bead leaks. I just grind the bead seating service with an air grinder. The three of four is a rare thing - my bet is that the fourth is leaking, but just slow enough that it doesn't appear so.

As far as I know, the CS4's are the only tires that I have seen repeatedly have the same sidewall cracking issues. I cannot speak of behalf of other Cooper models as I don't have enough experience with them.

The reason for owning the CS4's:
I have owned my Accord for ~15,000 miles. I got it with the CS4's on it (from the Honda dealership I was working at, of course ). As for the second set, I got the winter wheels and the very-close-to new tires for a steal from a buddy that moved to a warmer climate. As soon as I finish out these sets, I won't be buying them again (unless they're next to free).

Sent from

2006 Accord V6 6MT 4D - TOTALED
Carbon Bronze

2014 Ford Focus ST 6MT 5D
Spirit Blue
post #5 of 6 Old 10-31-2013, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM6 View Post
I will attempt to answer all your questions

There isn't a way that I know of to prevent the bead leaks. I just grind the bead seating service with an air grinder. The three of four is a rare thing - my bet is that the fourth is leaking, but just slow enough that it doesn't appear so.

As far as I know, the CS4's are the only tires that I have seen repeatedly have the same sidewall cracking issues. I cannot speak of behalf of other Cooper models as I don't have enough experience with them.

The reason for owning the CS4's:
I have owned my Accord for ~15,000 miles. I got it with the CS4's on it (from the Honda dealership I was working at, of course ). As for the second set, I got the winter wheels and the very-close-to new tires for a steal from a buddy that moved to a warmer climate. As soon as I finish out these sets, I won't be buying them again (unless they're next to free).

Sent from
Thanks for your answers.

I'm getting a pretty good deal on the new set, so I guess I'll see how it goes. On the plus side, the tire shop is pretty good at warrantying the tires, so if it does happen again, I guess I'll just get credit towards another set. The tire dealer offered me a set of MasterCraft Strategy, but I don't know much except for the fact that MasterCraft is Cooper's budget brand.

It's too bad this is a common issue with these tires. Besides this issue, I think it's a decent tire for the price. It's good in the snow and rain, which is important since I see all four seasons here.

1995 Yamaha FZR600
post #6 of 6 Old 11-01-2013, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear

Just picked up my car this morning with a new set of CS4s.

They gave me $40 credit on the front two tires and gave me free installation for them.

Total price ended up being $430.62 plus tax. In addition, I got a $50 gift car, and there's a $60 MIR from Cooper.

We'll see how these do. After a couple years, I'm going to start checking the sidewalls for cracking. First sign of cracking, I'll dump them and get something else.

1995 Yamaha FZR600
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.