Drive Accord Honda Forums - View Single Post - Need Measurements & Feedback - Concept Project | radio-pro.ru
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 03-19-2017, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
theblindchicken
1st Gear

Need Measurements & Feedback - Concept Project

First off, mods please move if the wrong section for this.

Hey all, first time here and I do not own a Honda, thus the need for your help.

Searched a little bit, but couldn't find the information I'm looking for.

Project: Offroad Desert Buggy - 2 seater.

I've been wanting to build a buggy for quite some time and have decided upon using a Honda for the engine since parts tend to be very inexpensive as well as readily available just about wherever you are. This is meant to be quite a bit of a budget build and to learn a lot throughout the whole project. Buggy is intended to be built to Class 10 - Limited Motor racing regulations. Everything will be designed to spec minus the actual engine itself, since Class 10 is limited to a N/A 2500cc 4cyl. Decent power out of a small engine is more expensive than purchasing a larger motor with approx equal power. Not currently built to actually race, although possible in the future with engine swap.

Concept Specifications:

Drivetrain: J30 3.0L v6 w/ factory auto trans.
Chassis: Open tube design with sheetmetal skins.
Suspension: A-arms front & trailing-arms in rear. Single coilover (probably dual rate) with secondary shocks on each corner.
Trackwidth: 72" WMS to WMS
Wheelbase: 112"
Wheels: 5x5.5" steels, probably 15x8"-10"
Tires: Currently have a set of 32"x11.5R15 Yokohama Geolander AT/S takeoffs from my truck. Planning on running 32's or 33's, but will design to fit up to 37's just in case of engine upgrade later on.
Weight: Planning to be sub 3000lbs all said and done.

Plan:
Purchase a used 2000 Honda Accord w/ 3.0L v6 and remove the engine, transmission, wiring harness & ecu, ignition, and cooling system. Rest of the vehicle will probably be parted or scrapped since can't think of anything else useful for the project. Probably keep gear shift and parking brake lever. Rest of the buggy will be custom tube as well as locally sourced parts. Trying to stay as low of a budget as possible as well as making parts easily sourced whenever something breaks.

The help I need from y'all:

-3.0L v6 engine mounting dimensions as well as overall dimensions & approximate weight. Doesn't have to be extremely accurate, just looking for overall space needed for block and frame width.
-Overall Auto Transmission Width & approximate weight.
-Forgive my ignorance, but transmission is chain driven from engine, correct?
-Max CV Angle for the auto trans? (probably around 35-45 degrees)
-Any spools for transmission?

Feedback needed:
Any other preferred Honda engine/transmission that outputs around 175-200bhp. Looking for best power/weight ratio, but cost rules.
I've heard that the auto transmissions don't last a long time behind the 3.0l v6. Any parts that can be swapped in to strengthen the weak points?

Since we all love photos, here's some inspiration for the project:

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to

Related pages

onyx tire shineis the scion frs fastcarmax mississippi2004 honda accord timing chain replacementi-vtec sohc decalcar door edge guardsmechanic cost per hour2003 gold honda accordsunroof seal replacementzmax transmission treatmentsteering wheel makes noisehow much horsepower does exhaust addmodified honda accordhonda type 2 coolant substitutewhat size wrench for brake bleeder valve2008 bmw 328i 0-60mobil one oil change intervaljvc kw-r900btvossen cv5 blackoil change extractor pumpb12 chemtool fuel treatmenthonda rims 4 lug2004 honda accord dxantifreeze coolant type 2br type coiloversh22 fuel injectors5901 viper alarmbushing bolt2004 honda civic ex problemspiaa h9www.handa-accessories.comhonda oil 10w30xxr9691994 honda accord fuel pump relayhonda crosstour with rimshonda west coastservice due soon a1 honda civiceibach pro kit civicp14912006 honda civic tune upremote start avitalengine coolant temperature range2005 honda pilot cabin air filterairbag sensor repair1999 honda civic clutch replacement cost20x9.5how much does a sunroof installation costka24de interference enginef22a1 turbo2006 honda crv floor matsmaaco paint costs1998 honda civic clutch replacementmagnaflow 10415pre painted fenders1993 honda accord coupehonda accord 87how much are car batteries at costco2002 acura tl type s transmission problemshonda hrx217 oilhow to get radio code for honda accord 2002egr valve honda accordwheel bolt pattern comparisonjdm shocker handhow to replace a blower motor resistortiming chain honda accordgasket leaking oilcar door edge guardshonda civic automatic transmission fluid capacity2012 honda accord miles per gallonexhaust manifold shieldinvisiblemask comv6 accord turboblue magic tire shine2006 honda odyssey oil resethow much cost to replace alternatorhonda pilot ignition switchled bulbs for tail lights