1995 intermittent starting problems (acts like dead battery) - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-05-2011, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
My First Post

1995 intermittent starting problems (acts like dead battery)

I have a 1995 Honda Accord, 2.2L 4-cylinder VTEC, manual transmission. Several times within the past month or so, I have gone to start it and nothing happens. Note that this doesn't happen every time I try to start it--it's completely random (outside, garage, hot weather, cold weather, etc).

When it won't start, the lights come on, but the starter motor doesn't operate and the solenoid doesn't click. I've replaced the battery (which indicates full power) and the alternator. All the fuses are in good shape. I tested the solenoid with a wire directly to the battery, and the solenoid was live.

After run the wire from the solenoid to the battery (or if I get a jump start), I can turn off the engine, turn it back on immediately afterward, and the engine will start fine on its own.

Any ideas as to what is going on? Dead spot in the starter? Bad wiring? As I said, it doesn't happen all the time but it is happening with more frequency now than a few weeks ago.

Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-16-2011, 01:00 AM
1st Gear

I had a similar problem with mine,though as you have replaced the battery it's unlikely to be what caused my intermittant starting fault-a slightly loose negative terminal!Does your clock keep time?If you notice it's a few hours behind all of a sudden then I would say the problem lies with the battery connection,otherwise,not sure!

post #3 of 16 Old 08-17-2011, 02:14 PM
5th Gear

check the distributor.

I noticed you mentioned nothing about checking the distributor, which is a known common problem with hondas.

1991 Honda Accord EX

post #4 of 16 Old 11-27-2011, 10:38 PM
1st Gear

Did you ever figure out the problem? I have had the same scenario that I've lived w/ for more than 2 yrs. In that time, the problem still persists in spite of a new battery and new alternator. I believe it is the starter/solenoid. Mine's a V6, but the symptoms are identical, totally random when it doesn't want to start. Turn it again (maybe 2-3 times sometimes) and it will eventually start. Seems to start better if I hesitate in the ON position before I try to kick the starter up.
post #5 of 16 Old 11-29-2011, 12:31 AM
5th Gear

Then change the starter, if that is what you think it is.

If not, then check the distributor and spark wires.

1991 Honda Accord EX
post #6 of 16 Old 11-30-2011, 06:10 PM
Just got my 11 EX sedan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrouch View Post
check the distributor.

I noticed you mentioned nothing about checking the distributor, which is a known common problem with hondas.
what's the problem with the distributor? new honda owner here.
post #7 of 16 Old 11-30-2011, 07:54 PM
5th Gear

They stop working correctly.

1991 Honda Accord EX
post #8 of 16 Old 12-01-2011, 07:58 AM
Just got my 11 EX sedan!

kinda figured that, but what are the symptoms of it not working correctly please?
post #9 of 16 Old 12-02-2011, 09:28 PM
1st Gear

And how does the distributor keep the starter from turning?
post #10 of 16 Old 12-03-2011, 07:40 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdee View Post
And how does the distributor keep the starter from turning?
Who said that?

The distributor sends the spark to the spark plugs. If this is working incorrectly, then how will the car start correctly? Has nothing to do with affecting the starter.

1991 Honda Accord EX
post #11 of 16 Old 12-04-2011, 11:46 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk15 View Post

When it won't start, the lights come on, but the starter motor doesn't operate and the solenoid doesn't click.
That's the whole point of this thread - the starter won't start.
post #12 of 16 Old 12-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Just got my 11 EX sedan!

could be a bad positive starter wire. do a ohm check on it. if i remember right from auto shop (14 years ago) in school no more than 100 ohm per inch of wire. it will let everything else power up, but won't let the starter operate. not sure how to jump a honda starter, but try that. you can then rule out the starter.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Just got my 11 EX sedan!

i'm not trying to be a idiot, or wise ass, but a bad distributor to me means bad bearings. on this one possibly leaking oil between it and the block/head. i mean seriously what else can go wrong other than components inside it, but they are components not the distributor. i must say it looks WAY different than the distributor in any other american car i have ever worked on

so what am i supposed ta be looking for? i don't think mine is bad, but the way honda does some things lean towards comparing apples to oranges. ie vacuum assist motor mount. that's totally new to me.
post #14 of 16 Old 12-05-2011, 05:12 PM
5th Gear

Oil leaking into it is the main problem. Or just worn out pieces. But you would have to take it apart and actually know what you are looking for.

1991 Honda Accord EX
post #15 of 16 Old 12-05-2011, 06:11 PM
Just got my 11 EX sedan!

that lets me out. i was so anti jap cars this is all uncharted waters for me. i gotta say though she has really grown on me. i mite even do her body next year. she is a keeper. now if she will stop fighting me i'll be a happy camper.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.