Procedure to start car that has been sitting for a month? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-03-2018, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Procedure to start car that has been sitting for a month?

I have a 96 "backup" Accord that only gets driven once every three or four weeks. I keep a "smart' trickle charger on the battery.

My procedure

1. Remove fuse 13 (ECU) from under the hood
2. Crank the engine for 10 seconds. Wait a couple of minutes (to make sure not to overheat the starter). Repeat this two more times to build up oil pressure.
3. Replace fuse 13 and start the car

Is there a better procedure to avoid a "dry start"?
or is it overkill to do this if I run the car every 3 weeks or so? If overkill, how many weeks or months of not running the car before a procedure to avoid a dry start is warranted?

Thank you

Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-03-2018, 09:09 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Sounds like overkill to me. Just removing the negative battery cable and putting it back on before driving the car would be enough I'd think. I've never done anything special to start a car that's been sitting for over a month. Maybe I'm just a barbarian, I dunno.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #3 of 5 Old 01-03-2018, 09:40 AM
2006 Accord EX

I'd agree with enne.

The fact that you state it is a "backup" car and that you're worried about dry starts is like sort of worrying about damaging a car you hardly ever use..and, if you hardly use it then you're not starting it that often anyway(which, if you did, would probably contribute more to wear & tear than what you're currently worried about)...nome sain?

I've also heard of the pre-oilers that different manufacturers make(like Amsoil)that help with this problem, but, they're expensive...and on a '96 backup vehicle...is that something you should really care about?
Obviously, that's your call...but, if I was in your shoes, I would not.

2006 Accord EX Coupe...164k and counting..

post #4 of 5 Old 01-03-2018, 10:03 AM
Out of Control

Garage
Yeah, leave everything connected and just start it.

2007 Accord SE sedan; I-4 automatic
post #5 of 5 Old 01-03-2018, 10:10 AM
Elvira - the car

Leave everything connected and on the trickle charger so that it is ready to go.

Easy-peasy !

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous
"Either write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."- Benjamin Franklin
"Never walk past a mistake " - Colin Powell, retired four-star General
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.