F22b1 timing cover issues - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 12-31-2017, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

F22b1 timing cover issues

I've got a 96 Accord with an F22B1 in it, had a bad water pump, and unknown miles since the last timing belt change, so I put a to timing belt on it, and am replacing the timing belt covers in the process. I can't for the life of me get the lower cover in place. I've tried from the top and the bottom both, with the engine raised, lowered and every position in between. Is there a trick to this that I'm missing?

post #2 of 3 Old 01-02-2018, 04:57 AM
1st Gear

are you sure the replacement covers are duplicates of the originals, i.e. the right parts?

post #3 of 3 Old 01-02-2018, 05:23 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Here's a guide, maybe the photos will help?

F22B2 in my son's Accord. A couple comments.
If you have AC, I recommend disconnecting the compressor and laying it on the front rail, after you remove the alternator. This makes it MUCH easier to install the lower timing cover. The way I installed the lower cover is from the front, rotated 90 degrees clockwise until it was in position, then rotating 90 degrees counter clockwise. I also suggest removing the alternator and PS brackets, it makes it much easier to align the lower timing cover and and helps keep the seal on that side from coming off during installation. As someone else mentioned, it does help to remove the side motor mount boss from the engine. You can see the adjustment gear a whole lot better and can get to the water pump easier. Also, for the timing belt tension adjustment, before you install the balance belt, I found no reason to reinstall the lower timing cover. You just take it back off again to do the balance belt anyway.
The A/C unit gets in the way as well as the PS bracket, so those will need to be removed per the instructions given. Also there was a line, for the PS that runs along the inside of the frame rail. You will hit this and not be able to get the cover past the strut rod. What makes this even more frustrating, is while under the car you will most likely be focused on getting the cover past the sprockets and strut rod and not notice the line. There will be three bolts that will need to be removed to allow this line to be nudged out of the way, leave it off until you have the engine mount back on as it gets in the way of installing the cast iron bracket to engine mount. So to reiterate.

Remove front accessories and brackets(except AC bracket can be left, just remove the compressor). Remove that inside the frame line, three 10mm headed bolts. Install the cover from the outside of the strut rod(wheel side) rotate the cover counter clockwise to get it over the strut rod(the hard line will be in the way now if its not moved) and then drop it back down inside the strut rod to rotate it clockwise to line it back up with the engine front. Be careful of the balance shaft tensioner spring. The upper right corner of the cover will catch on this.
Hope that helps...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver

1989 Honda Prelude Si Coupe 2.0 B20A5 4WS 93k Granada Black Pearl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.