• 1 Post By Accord Man 1
  • 1 Post By datechbpss101
  • 1 Post By 75Gremlin
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 12-23-2017, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

I Miss my 1997 Accord

A little story:
Well guys, my first new car in my life was a 1997 Accord value package. I was a young guy and needed a reliable car to get me to college and my part time job. This was the car I chose. Bought it brand new at a local dealership at a great year end price. I was so proud to drive it. I would wash and wax it all the time. As years went on it served me very well. Drove it for around 17 years. Had to get rid of it around 4 years ago. The check engine light was on, looks like the engine seals were shot with oil sprayed all over the wires and I started to get the engine oil light on with high temp. Took it to a couple of mechanics who couldnt figure it out. Got rid of it and got my Touring. I dont know why, but I never fell in love with my current car. It is vastly better, on paper, in many ways over my old Accord. It is definetly more comfortable and has been super reliable. However, I am not thrilled with the way it drives. I dont like the macpherson structs. Old double wishbone rode better. This one drives a little clunky. Feels bloated. Over all I am entertaining the idea of getting rid ot it, maybe.

I am thinking of buying another 97 . I can get an ex v6. The one I had was the i4 non vtec. Are there any issues or long term concerns with the v6? Each model has certain quirkes that I would like to know about. Is the old v6 as reliable as my old i4?

Thanks for reading.

enne likes this.

2014 Accord v6 Touring Sedan Black on Black
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-23-2017, 10:29 AM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
You don't have to go that far back. If you want the DW strut, I belive 8th Gens still had it. Just avoid the 8th Gen V6 ATs or be very careful, at least. Coupes also look a lot better than Sedans.

7th Gens are also not bad if you want to go a bit back.

Old boxes(like the 5th Gen) are usually beaters and will not be in the best shape. Trust me, driving something like that to 70 mph is pretty scary.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-23-2017, 10:45 AM
Out of Control

Nostalgia, sounds like a mid-life crisis where you were more emotionally tied to your 97 Accord. I just switched to a 2017 from a 04, the new car is better in every way, it was time to move on.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 509K - 2017 EX automatic 2K

post #4 of 11 Old 12-23-2017, 01:12 PM
king of my heart

I've had both a 96 and 97 Sedan and miss both of them. The older V6 Accord engine is a C series 2.7L. Not many issues but I'd stick to the F22 option for reliability and ease to work on (20 year old car is going to need some TLC at some point)

2005 Accord LX Sedan "Harim" : Daily Driven 300k + Mile Spirited Driving Machine
K&N Drop-In Fiter, NGK Iridium Plugs, Clarion CZ105BT w/ Metra 99-7862, HTSpec A/T Switches, J's Racing Radiator Cap
post #5 of 11 Old 12-23-2017, 01:29 PM
Rollin in FL

Garage
You don't really have to go all the way back to the 5th gens. Most of that generation has either been riced up, stolen at one point (yes, this generation is the most stolen Accord), or just been a beater. If you want an older car, try a 6th gen, as the V6 is the J30 engine, or the improved F23 engine, as both are reliable as hell (maybe, not the V6 AT).

I was also obsessed with our 05 Ody that we had back in the day, but I moved on with my 6GA. However, I am considering to buy a 10GA in the next year or two, as I sat in it and talked with couple salespeople at the dealer today. You just gotta move on in life.

The 9GA is a pretty great car, not superior than older gens, but it does what its job is supposed to be.
d1backwoods likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mine:
Lucky- 1999 Honda Accord LX 2.3L 4AT- 112K (SSM)

Parents:
Pato- 2016 Nissan Rogue SL 2.5L CVT- 42k (ABM)
Lelu 2.0- 2017 Acura MDX w/ Tech 3.5L 9AT-- 2100 miles (BCP)

Long gone:
Lelu- 2005 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/navi & res 3.5L- 151k (SGM)(traded-in)
2004 Hyundia Elentra Hatchback GLS- Idk miles (Silver) totaled
post #6 of 11 Old 12-24-2017, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

Multi-quote feature is your friend! Embrace it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
You don't have to go that far back. If you want the DW strut, I belive 8th Gens still had it. Just avoid the 8th Gen V6 ATs or be very careful, at least. Coupes also look a lot better than Sedans.

7th Gens are also not bad if you want to go a bit back.

Old boxes(like the 5th Gen) are usually beaters and will not be in the best shape. Trust me, driving something like that to 70 mph is pretty scary.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.
No offense to any 8th gen owners, but I hate the car. The sedan atleast, especially the insane dash. I test drove one, and I didnt like it.

I was considering the 7th gen a while back. That is a possibility. I never test drove one.

Thats a good point about a lot of them being beaters, thats true. The one I am looking at doesnt see to be one, seems to be in pretty good shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW2004Accord View Post
Nostalgia, sounds like a mid-life crisis where you were more emotionally tied to your 97 Accord. I just switched to a 2017 from a 04, the new car is better in every way, it was time to move on.
Hey man, thats possible but I dont think so. I think it is more than that. I think I am pretty objective. There are things I hated about my 5th gen too. I hated the lack of power, only 135 hp. The auto transmission was rough too, especially the shifting at 20 mph. Hell I had roll up windows, no power side mirrors or locks. Definetly hated that. Also it had a lot of body roll. But some of the things I really loved about it were, the amazing visibility, not too big or small for me, and the double wishbone suspension ( yes I can tell a difference, no side to side lateral movement in the 5th, but the car did not ride any softer than my 9th gen), also the low repair costs.

I like my 9th gen a lot though, but I am not sure I am in love with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1backwoods View Post
I've had both a 96 and 97 Sedan and miss both of them. The older V6 Accord engine is a C series 2.7L. Not many issues but I'd stick to the F22 option for reliability and ease to work on (20 year old car is going to need some TLC at some point)
Slim pickens for one in good shape so if I do get one, I might have to take whatever I get.

2014 Accord v6 Touring Sedan Black on Black

Last edited by RickBlaine; 12-24-2017 at 06:35 PM. Reason: DAS MERGE! THREE POSTS BECOME ONE! MULTI-QUOTE FEATURE IS OUR FRIEND!
post #7 of 11 Old 12-26-2017, 10:08 AM
1st Gear

From my perspective the 80s/90s was the golden age of Honda, before the bean counters took over. Three years ago I bought a 97, non VTEC 5, speed from a 73 year old man with 110k miles. has 170k now and has been great. In august I bought another, a 96, non VTEC, unfortunately it is an automatic. From an original owner with 62k miles. Bought it because I like the 5th generation.

Good ones are out there. Be patient and be ready to buy as the good ones sell quickly. I would stay away from modified and 'put away wet' examples.

Generation 4 and 5 are arguably some of the better Accords built. One plus is that the 'backyard mechanic' can work on them and parts are plentiful. Personally I don't like all the gadgets on the new cars, the 'transformer' styling of many, and the limited visibility in many of the recent vehicles.

But most Accords are good cars, so take your pick.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-26-2017, 01:47 PM
1st Gear

Interesting article on 5th generation accord sales. Reason they go for so much?: Supply and demand

Another 'benefit' of these older Hondas is that they have hit the bottom of the depreciation curve and those in good condition will hold their price and possibly increase in the future. They are cheap to own and drive.
enne likes this.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-27-2017, 05:31 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Get a 6th gen (1998-2002); you can still find them in good shape for a decent price in a lot of places. Where are you located?

I would suggest a manual transmission. The V6 automatic transmission for that generation is known to not the greatest. But, if you can find a good condition one, I don't see why not. The 6th generation is easy to work on, parts are plentiful and cheap, easy to maintain, and has a lot of creature comforts you'd expect like a keyfob/electric locks, CD player (you can get a nice Sony head unit for like $70 and some decent front speakers for $40), et cetera. Lots of write-ups and troubleshooting already done for you here on DA in the 6th gen forum as well, if the car has any problems!

1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #10 of 11 Old 12-27-2017, 06:35 AM
1st Gear

yes, the 6th generation automatics were known to have problems. I've known several folks who had major trouble. The standard trannys are fine.
post #11 of 11 Old 12-27-2017, 07:02 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
I mean, the V6 trans issue doesn't seem to be the widespread infamous problem here, that it is made out to be, which is why I said if they find a nice condition car that runs well it probably won't be a huge problem for them. I wouldn't expect one with a "bad" V6 auto transmission to have survived this long without, you know, going bad. Haha.

I will officially jinx myself again by saying my 1999 I4 auto has had absolutely zero problems since I've had it and do not know of it having any problems in the past despite being neglected and driven very hard. There are ways to poorly handle an automatic and I have seen/see it with my own eyes. If I could get away with taking video of it I would, just to show people what not to do, haha.

1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black

1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.