To steering rack experts, bellows question. 1997 Accord - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
3Likes
  • 2 Post By RickBlaine
  • 1 Post By 75Gremlin
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 11-30-2017, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

To steering rack experts, bellows question. 1997 Accord

170k miles on car. 2.2 liter.
I need to replace the driver's side "rubber" bellows as it is torn (see generic bellows, HRK parts in attachment).
The passenger side bellows looks ok.
Regarding the passenger side bellows: leave well enough alone, or replace it also?
Thank you!

Attached Images
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-30-2017, 07:03 AM

Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,361 Posts
I am not an expert in steering racks. But I have lived long enough to strongly believe the adage: "As long as you are there anyway and everything is apart, you might as well replace XYZ too."

I know there is a chance you can damage something or strip something out, but if something is going on in there you don't know. As long as you are lying under the car with all your tools- just replace it.

Steering rack experts will chime in, I hope- as I do not know the risks/negatives of swapping out a seemingly good boot.

YOU obviously are a DIY-er.....not to challenge you, but in your experience, haven't you ever had to go back and do something over because "it looked OK at the time"? This is like people who do timing belt jobs and do NOT replace the tensioner- "Oh, it looked OK." 20,000 miles later they blow their engine and post here about never buying a Honda again and going back to Pontiac.

MiragePilot and enne like this.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-30-2017, 07:05 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
When replacing a part that's on both sides I like to replace both sides at the same time, like sway bar links, bushings, wheel bearings, etc. Especially if the other side is accessible when taking things apart to get at the worn part. Not sure if you'd have access to the right one when doing the left, though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic

post #4 of 8 Old 11-30-2017, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks for the replies, I agree in principle.

However, replacing the passenger side involves working on the other side of the rack.

To rephrase my question:

Once the driver's side fails, will the passenger side bellows fail soon also or is it likely that the passenger side could last several more years?

I'm not sure, but it seems that the driver's side bellows undergoes more "stress" than the passenger side and therefore is more likely to fail earlier than the passenger side.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-30-2017, 07:15 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
I'm not sure what the lifespan of a passenger vs driver side one is. But if it were my car, since I do not know the answer to that question, I would replace both just to be safe.

1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black

1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #6 of 8 Old 11-30-2017, 07:18 AM

Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,361 Posts
Good clarification....

Each is equally exposed to the elements....if one side failed because of additional stress over many years, that is one thing. If it failed because of heat/cool cycles, road salt, stones getting kicked up and hitting it, etc....then swap it out.

These are rubber, no? Rubber degrades over time, becoming less pliable. 1st Generation Miata guys replace their radiator and all rubber hoses every 5-7 years as routine maintenance.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-05-2017, 11:28 AM
4th Gear

This isn't a 'while you are in there part.' It's double the work to do the other side as well. Not like you have to pull the rack to change this, nor is it challenging. Replace as needed, but if it will give you peace of mind do both.

Just make sure do it quickly, otherwise inner tie rod end will get contaminated and also require replacing.

My .02.

04 Coupe V6 6MT
post #8 of 8 Old 12-15-2017, 06:25 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Ended up just replacing the driver's side bellows. Carefully inspected the passenger side and it still looked very good. hopefully will last several more years.
enne likes this.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.