new older model - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-27-2017, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

new older model

Hello all! newbie here. newbie to both forums and honda in general ive done no research and really have not even been in one until this car. my previous experience is with late model (nothing in the 00's) ford and chevy. after a recent string of bad luck and life in general i was given a 1990 automatic accord. ive had it a bit now ( 3 months) Shes not mint and has 276xxx on her but her windows go down and the radio works and she gets me to the store and the Dr just fine. i had some questions on features ive never seen before in a car and have been googling but no avail, probably because shes so seasoned everyone is supposed to know but me i guess. i ran into your forum and wondered if anyone can answer these.

1. i have a trunk release on my floor when i lift it it unlatches the trunk but the trunk doesnt "pop" is this because the "pop" is so worn or is honda known for not lifting the trunk a bit after unlatching? so ive been known to release the trunk and forget that its open because its not open a bit and then take off down the road and the trunk will just lift... opps.

2. why is there a "footrest" on the floor? it would be in the position of the clutch if it was a manual but its solid metal and attached to the floor. is this common?

3. what is the purpose of the shifter unlock/release panel on shifter?

4. i also have a button on the stick that is marked with an "s" what is this used for?

5. is it normal when taking off the gas cap that air escapes sounding like a deflating balloon? or is this a sign of a problem?

6. does anyone have suggestions for extra storage? it is missing the armrest and storage spaces ive been accustom with my ford. i currently have the 2 door slots, the ashtray and this "loose change" drawer on the left of the dash under the heat vent.

i realize that these questions may come across as duh or that im pranking the forums but im honestly not. anyone willing to answer these has my thanks in advance.

Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-27-2017, 07:00 AM

Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,360 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayasun View Post
1. i have a trunk release on my floor when i lift it it unlatches the trunk but the trunk doesnt "pop"

2. why is there a "footrest" on the floor? it would be in the position of the clutch if it was a manual but its solid metal and attached to the floor. is this common?

3. what is the purpose of the shifter unlock/release panel on shifter?

4. i also have a button on the stick that is marked with an "s" what is this used for?

5. is it normal when taking off the gas cap that air escapes sounding like a deflating balloon? or is this a sign of a problem?

6. does anyone have suggestions for extra storage?
Welcome! Post a picture please when you can.

1) The trunk may not pop up anymore because the trunk release mechanism may be slightly out of alignment. You can break out a 10mm socket and loosen, adjust, then see if it helps/hurts. Not a big deal, but over time things settle and need adjustment. Could also be a lack of lubricant, causing the trunk latch to not freely pop away from the lock mechanism.

2) Footrest- yes normal....

3) Shifter unlock....all automatic transmisison cars with a mechanical shifter (not a brand new electronic shifter) have this so that if you can't start your car for some reason (dead battery) you can still unlock the transmission shifter (insert your key or screwdriver in there to press down) and get into nuetral so you can push or tow your car.

4) No idea....which "stick" are you talking about?

5) Gas cap sound.....your fuel system is under pressure. When you open a gas cap quickly, or slowly but in hot climates, or when the car is almost out of fuel, you will hear the pressure being released. Normal.

6) No idea.

post #3 of 9 Old 10-27-2017, 07:15 AM
2006 Accord EX

That S button should be the "sport" mode on that generation.
When you engage it, it changes the way the transmission shifts.
Rick covered everything else. Those are good cars, albeit a little under powered, but still good model years.

2006 Accord EX Coupe...164k and counting..
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Accordz For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (10-27-2017)

post #4 of 9 Old 10-27-2017, 10:17 AM
Out of Control

What color is the trans. fluid when wiped on a white paper towel ? Any maintenance records, timing belt changed ?

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic 509K - 2017 EX automatic 2K
post #5 of 9 Old 10-27-2017, 10:22 AM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
Your ventilation valve may be stuck in your tank, which impedes pressure relief and gas recirculation.

2005 Honda Accord V6 LX - 177k
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2003 Ford F-150
2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

2005 Toyota Corolla
2011 Ninja 250R
2006 Cadillac CTS
1999 Nissan Altima

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma
post #6 of 9 Old 10-27-2017, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

thank you all for the replies . i really do like this car the more i drive it.

no i dont have records. its a gift albeit a 30+ yr old one.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-27-2017, 04:17 PM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
Got some pics of it?

2005 Honda Accord V6 LX - 177k
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2003 Ford F-150
2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

2005 Toyota Corolla
2011 Ninja 250R
2006 Cadillac CTS
1999 Nissan Altima

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma
post #8 of 9 Old 10-29-2017, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

call me lazy but no pics as of yet. if i remember ill snap one when i go to the garage next.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-08-2017, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

heres a picture of the car.

i couldnt figure out how to use the drag and drop feature correctly so im sorry it is so large nor edit my post to stay within the forum rules . i am sorry
Attached Images
The Following User Says Thank You to rayasun For This Useful Post:
KW2004Accord (11-08-2017)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.