low RPM "hunting" - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 08-16-2017, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

low RPM "hunting"

97 VTEC, 2.2L, I have cleaned out the IACV(not replaced), cleaned out the TB, checked everywhere for vacuum leaks. Still have constant hunting below 1500 rpm. Car will run good above 1500 rpm. Usually no codes thrown, but if it throws a code, it is all letters, no numbers.(clear with Scan Guage11) I do have a water leak, somewhere. Is there a connection?

Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-17-2017, 08:37 AM

Thanked 1,913 Times in 1,361 Posts
Well, what are the actual letter codes?

post #3 of 6 Old 08-20-2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

I tried to get it to throw a code, but it wouldn't, so I replaced the gasket and it now works fine.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-29-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

update- it worked for a few days, then it was back to normal "hunting". A code was thrown here and there and it was for the IACV. I did try several different units, new(Chinese) and a used Denso unit. But because it was so hard replacing the water tubes, I just put the old unit aside, with water tubes hooked up to it, and installed the other units w/o the water tubes. That didn't work until we got the heat wave (LA area). Then they worked fine. I then realized it all depended up getting the temp up on that valve. So I hooked up the cooling tubes to the used Denso unit and it worked better. But still "hunted", but now it took less time to level out. So I flushed out the cooling system and until it gets the temp up, it still hunts but it gets to temp level quicker, something I can live with.
I could feel the valve after driving and it seemed cooler than it should. Now it feels quite hot sooner. It has been quite a journey. I read online that in warmer climates, you don't need the cooling system hooked up, but I found out I do.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-05-2017, 11:43 AM
4th Gear

It is as common for the Fast Idle Valve on the throttle body to fail. If replacing the IACV didn't completely fix it, replace the FIV as well.

04 Coupe V6 6MT
post #6 of 6 Old 01-14-2018, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear

I finally had that done and it worked. Others missed it. But after replacing 3 out of 4 sensors, and a used but clean Denso IACV, it had to be the high idle valve. It was cleaned and reinstalled. It works great. Thanks- Others wanted up to $800 for the repair for "hunting", I was charged $100. Well worth it.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.