1988 Honda Accord issues - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
2Likes
  • 1 Post By greg1c
  • 1 Post By UnknownJinX
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-02-2017, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
My First Post

1988 Honda Accord issues

Hello all, within the last week I have had my fuel pump replaced and a week before that I had my distributor replaced. The honda worked just fine after the fuel pump was replaced but I just went out to start it up now and everything seems fine the engine starter clicks and I can smell gas going in unlike when the fuel pump was dead but it just won't turn over all the way. The gas pedal seems kind of lite to the touch and the brake pedal is a little hard to press also the steering wheel is hard to turn even when the key in the the on position. Any ideas what else it could possibly be or if a novice mechanic like myself could possibly fix something?

Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-03-2017, 08:19 AM
Uptown Rooter

A 29-yr old car will have issues that only an older tech can find. For example, I'm wondering if changing the whole distributor was necessary; it may have just needed points. Your starter issue may be only the solenoid. If you're serious about restoring this Accord, don't do squat without reading or finding an owners manual, finding a good tech who's worked on Accords of that vintage, and locating a reliable parts supplier.

OEM fogs / 22mm Progress RSB / Ultra Racing FSB / Koni FSDs / Modulo grille / debadged trunk /

Previous cars: 2003 EXL V6 Accord Coupe
1995 Accord EX Sedan
1985 Mercedes 300 Turbodiesel
1989 Volvo S90 Turbo
post #3 of 6 Old 01-03-2017, 08:39 AM
Out of Control

So I assume that the engine is not turning over, but the starter just makes a clicking noise? This sounds like a bad battery or a bad starter. First thing to do is make sure the battery cables are tight and clean. If you have a set of jumper cables try to jump your car and see if it is just a weak battery. How old is the battery? Is it still under warranty? I would take the battery to the place that sold it or a big parts store and have it checked. If the battery checks out and the cables are clean and tight you probably have a bad starter.
enne likes this.

Current Honda vehicles
2010 Acura RDX Turbo AWD/Tech 67k miles - Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 53k miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2005 Acura TSX Auto 208k miles - Youngest Daughter
2013 FIT Sport Auto - 24k miles - Oldest Daughters car
Former Honda Vehicles
2001 Acura MDX Totaled t223k
1991 Accord LX auto sold 185k miles
1995 GSR sold miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI soldr miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold miles

post #4 of 6 Old 01-03-2017, 09:53 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
^ +1

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan 2.3 F23A4 147K Airwrap Jet Black
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe 3.8 3800 II 124K Sebring Silver
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan 2.2 LN2 138K Sandrift Metallic
post #5 of 6 Old 01-03-2017, 10:41 AM
Doritos Spinner

Garage
The hard-to-push brake pedal and hard-to-turn steering wheel are normal to a newer Accord when the engine is not started. Not sure about an old Accord, though.

Now, I would first suspect a bad battery. The easiest thing to check is the battery. Turn on your exterior lights. Are they really dim? If so, then the battery is low. You could also check with a standard multimeter. If the voltage reading is below 12.3 V, your battery is low. How old is the battery? If it's 5+ years old, then you should change it.

If the battery is good, then I would suspect the starter. If it is the starter, then a question I have is, "is it worth it?" Even a rebuilt starter(+installation, too) can be pricey, and good luck finding them for an old Accord like this...
Miker likes this.

2008 Honda Accord Coup EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM(sadly sold)

You will be remembered.

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT SM(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT VRM

post #6 of 6 Old 12-07-2017, 09:33 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post

If the battery is good, then I would suspect the starter. If it is the starter, then a question I have is, "is it worth it?" Even a rebuilt starter(+installation, too) can be pricey, and good luck finding them for an old Accord like this...
Starters and most parts are plentiful
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.