Gear Ratio Information for 1997 V6 - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 11-30-2009, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Gear Ratio Information for 1997 V6

My coworker just bought a '97 Accord V6, automatic (he called it a Limited Edition and said it had gold emblems, if that means anything to you). He was a little concerned because it is revving up around 2800 at 70MPH in high gear. I wondered if it was stuck in third and not going into fourth. (He said it is a 4 speed auto). That seemed like it was pretty high to both of us, expecially for a V6. My '04 4 cylinder is around 2300 at 70.

Anyway, is something wrong with his? Is it possible there's an electronic overdrive (possibly controlled by a button on the shifter or something) that's not working correctly?

Thanks...sorry for the vagueness.

Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Super Moderator

Moved to The Early Generations

2005 Satin Silver V6 Coupe 6 speed
TL shift knob, Hidden Hitch, Venture Shield clear protetive film,
GM Friction Modified Synchromesh transmission fluid,
2007 Acura TL-S front/rear sway bars,
Clutch slave cylinder restrictor valve delete.

Acura TL 5-spoke rims 245/45-17 Bridgestone Pole Position RE970
Honda steel rims 225/55-16 Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-01-2009, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Oops...I started the thread, then searched, then started again and I thought I was already IN the Earlier Generations forum. Sorry about that. I don't know how that happened.

post #4 of 11 Old 12-04-2009, 09:09 AM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyomatic View Post
My coworker just bought a '97 Accord V6, automatic (he called it a Limited Edition and said it had gold emblems, if that means anything to you). He was a little concerned because it is revving up around 2800 at 70MPH in high gear. I wondered if it was stuck in third and not going into fourth. (He said it is a 4 speed auto). That seemed like it was pretty high to both of us, expecially for a V6. My '04 4 cylinder is around 2300 at 70.

Anyway, is something wrong with his? Is it possible there's an electronic overdrive (possibly controlled by a button on the shifter or something) that's not working correctly? Thanks...sorry for the vagueness.
You pose an interesting question.

IMO, 2,800 RPM, in fourth gear, 70 MPH doesn't sound exhorbitantly high.

What's the final drive ratio? Tranny getting all four (4) gears? Torque converter locking up? Last time the ATF was changed?
post #5 of 11 Old 12-04-2009, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

I guess I was asking if you guys knew what the final drive and transmission ratios are. I don't know any specifics with this car but I'll forward this info to him. My first guess was that there was some kind of electronic OD switch somewhere and that the electronic OD wasn't functioning. It is possible that the lockup isn't working but that still seems pretty high revving for fourth gear even without the lockup working.

I'll forward this to my coworker and see if I can get any more info.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-04-2009, 05:20 PM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyomatic View Post
I guess I was asking if you guys knew what the final drive and transmission ratios are. I don't know any specifics with this car but I'll forward this info to him. My first guess was that there was some kind of electronic OD switch somewhere and that the electronic OD wasn't functioning. It is possible that the lockup isn't working but that still seems pretty high revving for fourth gear even without the lockup working.

I'll forward this to my coworker and see if I can get any more info.
Slide by your dealer and look it up in their (Helm) shop manual. Info is given in the "Specifications" section. Else slide by AutoZone (or other parts store) and look it up in a Chilton's, Haynes, or Motors service manual.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-04-2009, 05:27 PM

That RPM range for the 2.7 V6 does sound normal. That engine isn't the most powerful thing in the world at low rpm.

The J30 in the '98 turns about 2500 or so.

The entire unit is electronically controlled, so if there was an issue where it wasn't going into 4th the D4 light should be blinking or the MIL will illuminate.

Try starting in manual 1, shift to 2nd, then D3, and then to D. I think yours should still have the ability to do that. When you manually go from D3 to D, you should feel the shift.

Sapphire blue '04 V6 6 speed w/ full HFP, comptech ss, momo shadow, TL-S 27.2h/20 bars, intake spacer, retro chrome MH1 HIR2 highs, hella DE fogs, EBC Ultimax, subwoofer/amp, infinity rears, HD Radio, aux adapter, navi conversion.

Vermilion 1999 SVT F150 Lightning, Sylvania/Visteon Xenarc HID headlamps, '01 L turn/marker lamps, PIAA fogs, '01 up Bilstein shocks, all Pioneer speakers, Clarion subwoofer. All Redline fluids.

Silverstone 2003 Honda S2000, bone stock
post #8 of 11 Old 12-05-2009, 05:44 AM
1st Gear

For a comparison, my Accord, with OE rubber and shoes, sits right at 2750 ~63-64MPH. On the button, I have a long commute daily, and 1/3 of it is on 55MPH highway. I set the cruise for no more than 9 over (~63-64) and away I go. I have the I4, 2.0l engine, but Honda isn't scared of RPM's.

Remember back then, the only gasers that could really enjoy the lower RPM's were the V-8's. They had the torque necessary to carry the mission out at slower RPM's.

1988 Accord LX-i, A20A3 (3515062), 4-Door, Gold ext, Maroon int, All factory and 230k on the clock

1999 Ford F250 PSD 4x4, Vegetable converted, beast! 227k
post #9 of 11 Old 12-05-2009, 09:28 AM
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPUNeck View Post
For a comparison, my Accord, with OE rubber and shoes, sits right at 2750 ~63-64MPH. On the button, I have a long commute daily, and 1/3 of it is on 55MPH highway. I set the cruise for no more than 9 over (~63-64) and away I go. I have the I4, 2.0l engine, but Honda isn't scared of RPM's.
To my knowledge, all the Gen Three Accords, sold in the U.S. market, have the "A20" engine. "A20A3" = U.S. market, 2-Liter family, fuel injected. On my trusty '86, in fifth (5th) gear, 70 MPH, the tach is sitting right at 2,900-to-3,000 RPM.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-05-2010, 12:03 AM
'97 Coupe SE 4-cyl

Your co-worker's Accord trim is called SE or Special Edition. 2800 RPM at 70 MPH is perfectly normal. He is in 4th gear, the highest gear. Your 2004 Accord has a 5-speed transmission. Whether it's automatic or manual, 2300 RPM at 70 MPH is exactly what to expect. If you have an automatic, both of your transmissions do not have a push-button activated overdrive. The only overdrive you both have is shifting down into D3, which would throw you down into 3rd gear. The reason for the difference in RPM at the same speed is because you have another gear your car can work with. And since because it's newer your car has a little bit more torque to work with so it's possible in your Accord to maintain that speed at that RPM.
I have a 1997 Accord SE coupe 4-cyl, so if your co-worker wants more reassurance I'd be more than happy to attach a picture of my dash when I'm cruising at 70 MPH.

Hope I helped.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-01-2011, 09:17 PM
3rd Gear

The 2.7 is a gutless V6... Those are normal revs for the freeway, actually pretty similar to what the 5th gen 2.2 4cyl cruises at those speeds. My '03 Accord's V6 cruised 2300rpm at 70, it has more torque and power across the powerband to work with. If you'd like a car that cruises uber low rpm's at high speeds, buy an american V8 engined car, truck or suv. You'll get sub 2000 revs at 70, yo.

'87 Toyota 4runner SR5. Solid Axle Swapped, 35" tires.

2003 Accord V6 6M - given to mom at 114,000 miles in 2011.

No longer - '91 Jetta 160,000; '97 Accord 214,000
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.