How do I remove the fuel pump relay from its socket? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-26-2009, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
My First Post

How do I remove the fuel pump relay from its socket?

'87 Accord DX

For the life of me I can not figure out how to get the fuel pump cut-off relay out of its socket! Is there something I have to squeeze? or pry out? It is in such an awkward location!

I can see what look like two tabs on the side of the relay. I have tried squeezing the tabs and I have tried prying the tabs out. The relay feels "loose" in the socket but something (tabs?) are keeping me from pulling it out.

I replaced the fuel pump a few weeks ago because the car began to die on occasion. The car has run fine until last evening. I noticed that when I turned the key on I did not hear the pump running. The old pump was encased in plastic and you could not really hear it when you turned on the key. The new pump is not encased in plastic and you can hear it buzzing in the tank when you turn the key on. I towed the car home.

This morning I turned the key on and heard the pump. The car started fine and has been running well for a number of miles.

I suspect I need to replace the Fuel Pump Cut-off Relay but I can not remove it! I've tried prying on it a bit but it is not budging and I do not want to break anything. Is there something I need to squeeze? or pry out? anybody know the secret?

Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-26-2009, 01:30 PM
banned

Nerdmeier:

I believe you are talking about the "Main System Relay" located underneath the driver's side of the dash. It is a real PITA to remove and replace the "MSR!" But also extremely critical to engine operation!

These particular relays are problematic on the older cars. Interior heat, especially during the Summer, eventually causes them to malfunction else fail. Due to some past vendor issues, many of them have defective solder joints on the top of the PCB (printed circuit board)....even brand new! (If you take one apart; you'll see what I am talking about.) Needless to say, if the "MSR" malfunctions, you are likely getting a tow truck....else stranded, at the mercy of the Jungle.

Typical symptoms exhibited in the case of a defective "MSR" are: During the Winter, once the interior is heated (by the heater), the car will have intermittant starting and re-starting problems. During the Summer, when the interior of the car is extremely hot, the car may not start at all. Else you start it up, drive somewhere, shut it off, but then it won't restart.

Removing the coinpocket/fuse panel cover assembly, it is attached to the left bulkhead with a tanged bracket, using a single (6MM) bolt. Doing it the HARD way, I used a bizarre combination of extensions, adapters, and a swivel to (finally) get a 1/4" 10 MM socket on the bolt, then drop the entire unit down. Reinstalling said (6MM) bolt, while holding the new "MSR" in place is the tricky part. You need to be a contortionist, able to do things in "Braille!"

Hint/suggestion: When reinstalling the bolt, use a magnet (else a small piece of Duct tape) inside the socket to hold the bolt. That way, it won't fall out of the socket, instantly vanishing into the kick panel. Also, apply a drop of oil to the tip of the bolt to help the "starter" threads. I was able to get one hand through the dash opening to hold the relay while I used my other hand to install the bolt. The tab on the relay bracket, of course, should be indexed with the hole in the bulkhead.

My mechanic "buds" at the dealer? They use a couple of LONG, thin flatblade screwdrivers on each "end tab," then gently pull the unit out of the plastic housing. You may care to try their method, exercising extreme caution.

I had to replace the "MSR" in my trusty '86 a couple of years ago. Being old, slow, with poor vision (and always in pain), the job took me about a 1.25 hours (One hour, 15 minutes).

My heart goes out to you, Sir! It's an evil task, but also a necessary one!

post #3 of 8 Old 04-26-2009, 06:11 PM
4th Gear

Lots of people don't even bolt the new one back in.

1989 Honda Accord LX:
167,5xx miles
Rear disk brakes
City: 24mpg
Highway: 37mpg

post #4 of 8 Old 04-26-2009, 07:56 PM
banned

Russiankid:

Quite true. Many simply hang it from a wiring harness (or wherever) using a cable tie!
post #5 of 8 Old 07-17-2011, 07:30 PM
My First Post

Accord V6 2001 Honda fuel pump MSR Main System Relay

I am having the exact same issue with my 2001 Accord. I got it started by hitting the relay while turning the key. That was a contortionist move, by the way.

The relay is located on the left side of the steering column, under the dash. Is it worth it to just resolder the solder joints?

Main question is: Is this relay a dealer-only item? Or would an LAP store have it? (LAP=Local Auto Parts).

Thanks!
post #6 of 8 Old 07-23-2011, 06:14 AM
1st Gear

fuel pump relay

Try Rockauto.....I got mine half price
post #7 of 8 Old 07-23-2011, 11:40 AM
1st Gear

fuel pump relay

I replaced mine today on a 2001 honda accord 2.3 vtech (272K). Very awkward position, but got it done. I used an AIRTEX 1R1455 relay.

Here's how I did it:

I reclined and moved back the front driver seat to give me more room and raised the steering wheel.

Squeezed the tab on the connector and removed the plug from the old relay.

Plugged in the new relay and tested it to make sure the car would start. It did. Then I contemplated using zip ties to secure it under the dash, super glue it to the side of the old relay or use electrical tape to secure it.

Ultimately, I decided to remove the old relay from its bracket/holder and install the new module there properly.

Removing the old relay from the bracket was a little challenging. Finally, I decided to slide a flat head screwdriver between the relay and the holder. I used a relatively stout screwdriver to do this. Once it was inserted in between the relay and the holder, I twisted the screwdriver to snap the tab on the relay. It fell out of the holder and that was that.

I disconnected the plug from the new relay (connected to test earlier). Make sure to depress the tab on the plug to remove it.

To install, take the relay and put it at the top of the metal bracket. Slide it down the metal using the plastic tabs on the relay to hold on to the metal bracket. NOTE: The relay I used had two sets of tabs on different sides of the relay, I assume for different mounting brackets.

Reinstall the plug in the new relay. Make sure you leave as little twist in the plug wire as possible ( I know its common sense --less stress on the connections).

Hope this was helpful.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scottn4 For This Useful Post:
mkk8264 (07-23-2014)
post #8 of 8 Old 07-23-2014, 05:03 PM
My First Post

This was the most helpful info I've found, thanks a lot.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.