1986 Stalls at idle. - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-31-2009, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
My First Post

Exclamation 1986 Stalls at idle.

My 1986 Carb'ed stalls when the RPMs drop to idle. Whether I come to a stop or I am breaking in traffic it is the same scenario. Give'r some gas and she runs great (no misfiring or shaking etc.). This happend without warning. 100k Miles.

Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-02-2009, 02:01 PM
banned

Itsari:

I will bet you dollars to doughnuts that (given the age of your car) you have a carb issue. Furthermore, I will bet you have a bad float. At low rpms, especially at idle, the engine is flooding out...causing the engine to stall.

As noted below, I own an INJECTED car. I got out of carb engines some 16 (sixteen) years ago...specifically because of the problem you are experiencing. And that I also realized carb engines were rapidly becoming obsolete.

To my current knowledge, parts for the (A20) carb engines are getting tough to find. While some things ARE still available from Honda, you will likely have to find whatever else you need from an aftermarket source.

But before you have the carburetor ripped apart, I strongly suggest you have the entire fuel and the ignition system tested/evaluated by a trained mechanic.

You may have some other issue, such as a clogged fuel filter, a defective fuel pump, a faulty EGR valve. Given the myriad of vacuum hoses under the hood, you could have a cracked/broken vacuum line. You could also have a malfunction in the ignition system. The possibilities are almost endless.

Loving the 3rd Gen cars as much as I always will, I wish you only the BEST of luck, Sir!

post #3 of 14 Old 04-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Many Accords...Many Miles

My 85 Hatchback had a bad carb float as mentioned above. In fact, it was the last straw for it to be traded (tranny going, high miles, etc).

The floats can really make it do some squirelly things. Mine would just die at random regardless of moving, stopped, idle, accelerating, etc. Once the float decided to dive, she would just shut right down where ever we were.

The advice to thoroughly check the sytem is a great idea. Good luck from another 3rd gen lover.

99 Accord EX Sedan 4 cyl, Black, 187K+ miles semi-retired
92 Accord LX Coupe 4 cyl, Charcoal Gray, Sold 187K miles
85 Accord LX HBack 4 cyl, Dark Gray, Sold with 198K miles
84 Accord LX HBack 4 cyl, Dark Gray, Totaled with 18K miles

08 Honda Element EX 4WD, Silver, 104k Miles
01 Isuzu Trooper 4wd V6, Gray, Traded at 125k miles
94 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4wd Ltd, V8, Taupe, Sold 148K miles
75 Jeep CJ5 4x4, Straight 6, White, Sold with ? miles

post #4 of 14 Old 04-02-2009, 03:00 PM
banned

Bowzer and All:

If the F/A ratio (fuel-air mixture) is out of whack, the engine won't run right. If the carb float SINKS, the engine will flood out, especially at low rpms and idling. It's just dumping too much raw fuel in the motor, plain and simple.

Either bragging, else complaining, I have rebuilt more than my fair share of carburetors (one-barrell, two-barrell, and four-barrell). Especially the old ones, equipped with brass floats, they were prone to fail...after the gasoline dissolved the solder, at the center seams. Over time, most plastic floats will become saturated. I have seen many plastic floats that actually DISSOLVED. Needless to say, once the float is DEAD, the engine runs like CRAP.

Carbureted engines, they have certain, distinct advantages. If you want to inhale all the F/A possible, a carb system is likely the best method. I am talking about a "race" motor. But on a "street" vehicle, regulated by so many Federal laws, to "max-min" BHP, torque, fuel economy, and emissions, then MPFI is the only way to go.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-02-2009, 03:04 PM
Many Accords...Many Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******* View Post
Bowzer and All:

If the F/A ratio (fuel-air mixture) is out of whack, the engine won't run right. If the carb float SINKS, the engine will flood out, especially at low rpms and idling. It's just dumping too much raw fuel in the motor, plain and simple.
WHen it sinks, it floods...boy did I live that experience out. I was still in college when this happened and I got stuck out in the weirdest places...you could tell I was around by the distant sounds of cranking that engine when not waiting long enough for the flooding of the carb to resurrect.

But that 85 hatchback and I had some great times for sure! Long live the Honda Gray Accords of the mid-80s.

99 Accord EX Sedan 4 cyl, Black, 187K+ miles semi-retired
92 Accord LX Coupe 4 cyl, Charcoal Gray, Sold 187K miles
85 Accord LX HBack 4 cyl, Dark Gray, Sold with 198K miles
84 Accord LX HBack 4 cyl, Dark Gray, Totaled with 18K miles

08 Honda Element EX 4WD, Silver, 104k Miles
01 Isuzu Trooper 4wd V6, Gray, Traded at 125k miles
94 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4wd Ltd, V8, Taupe, Sold 148K miles
75 Jeep CJ5 4x4, Straight 6, White, Sold with ? miles
post #6 of 14 Old 04-02-2009, 04:58 PM
banned

Bowzer:

The '84-'85 Accords are very nice machines. They have the earlier version of the "A-series" engine used in the 3rd Gen cars. (Either 1,833 or 1,885-cc version, I forget.)

Kinda "blocky" body style that was vastly refined/smoothed, in the 3rd Gen cars. My best friend bought a new 1985 Accord Hatchback...with five-speed and A/C....and drove it some 15 (fifteen) years...until it was (sadly) rear-ended. With 150,000 miles showing on the odo, the engine still ran PERFECTLY. My friend traded it, "as is," for a new 2000 Accord Sedan with I-4 and auto tranny...which he currently still drives.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-02-2009, 09:20 PM
6th Gear

I enjoyed my 2nd gen (83) Accord SE and often times wish that I still had it. It was a VERY solid and extremely well built (and quite stylish, IMO) little car and I was fortunate enough to not have any problems with the carburetor (or the rest of the car). I bought it with 175k miles on the clock and in exceptional condition... inside and out. It was loaded with leather interior, power moonroof, power windows/mirrors/door locks (and even had a roof mounted power antenna), working cruise control, cold AC, in-dash stereo equalizer, digital clock WITH calendar, four wheel disc brakes and a 4-speed automatic.

I favored the front end styling of the 82-83s over the 84-85s, but the 85 SE (ahem, SE-i) did have the advantage of fuel injection and a bit more power...although that 83 was surprisingly 'peppy' with the CVCC 1.8L 'EK1' carbureted engine. That little motor could run... I made TWO round trips in the car from Florida to Michigan when I was moving to Detroit. I had the cruise control set at 70 mph when weather/traffic permitted and drove straight through each way.

The car may still very well be on the road, but I have lost contact with the owners. I sold it in 2005. Looking back at the pics... I could sure kick myself.

1990 Honda Accord LX coupe
130,XXX miles

1989 Honda Accord LX sedan
186,XXX miles

1998 Lexus GS400
170,XXX miles

1992 Cadillac Allante
70,XXX miles

2013 Kia Optima LX
8,xxx miles
post #8 of 14 Old 04-03-2009, 06:32 AM

Another cool thing about the 83's is how the hood opened backwards. Unless it needed some serious engine work but that was probably pretty rare.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-03-2009, 11:38 PM
banned

To All:

My first Honda car was a 1983 Civic Hatchback "1300." Cream exterior with saddle interior. Purchased used, in 1989, it was a bare-bones "stripper." Like an old VW Beetle, it didn't even have door-panel armrests. Just simple pull handles. Would you believe 12-inch rims? And a poorly-spaced FOUR-speed tranny. It was so SLOW, it wouldn't fall out of a tree! Several trips to my Honda dealer and my local salvage yards changed everything: A low-ratio, close ratio five-speed out of a 1980 Civic "DX." Grabbed the A/C system, while my wrenches were flying. NEW door panels used on 1982 Civic "GL." Bolted on styled-steel rims from my sister's 1983 Accord...shod with Michelins. Then added delay wipers and a defrosted rear glass. And don't forget a "Chin" spoiler from a 1983 Civic 1500 "S." One feature I dearly LOVED about it was the front-hinged hood.

On April 8th, 1993, this JERK pulled in front of me, attempting an illegal, left-hand turn and failing to yield right-of-way. I struck his Ford Tempo coupe broadside, at 47 mph. And that was the end of the wonderful, little Civic. I CRIED, for days, about the loss of the car. Didn't EVEN care about all the bones broken in my chest, by the shoulder belt.

Perhaps someday I shall post photos of the little, yellow "Pocket Rocket." With 45 mpg, bulletproof reliability, and more FUN than anyone can imagine, you KNOW I always miss it!
post #10 of 14 Old 04-04-2009, 06:35 AM
6th Gear

The older carbed engines were durable but do have their share of problems with the fuel system. My carbed 87 LX was one of the best cars I ever owned.
Start with the checking the gas tank for contamination (pull the fuel pump to inspect), change both filters then pull the top off the carb if you are handy and clean it out. I dont think replacement carbs are available anymore so you will have to have yours rebuilt by a good Honda shop. Junk yard carbs are very likely worse than the one you have.
A good site for 3rd generation Accord information - including carb help is

Good Luck

2000 Accord SE I4 F23A1 Auto - Sold miles & 10 years ownership
1998 Accord LX I4 F23A1 5 speed - sons DD in DC
1987 Accord LX 5 spd Owned for 17 years sold
1986 Accord LX Auto Totaled miles
1983 Accord LX 5 spd My Second Accord traded in
1978 Accord LX 5 spd My First Accord sold 100k
post #11 of 14 Old 04-04-2009, 08:24 AM
6th Gear

When I was a member of 1stgencivic.org for a while, Weber carburetors were the most recommended replacement carbs on the 1st/2nd gen Civic 'EM1' engines and the 1st/early 2nd gen Accord EK1s.

Robert, very sorry to hear about your 83. I'm certain you would've still had the car today. Before the 83 Accord, I also owned a 1981 Civic '1500' GL wagon w/ a 3 spd. auto for a little over a year. I could kick myself for selling that car as well, although I liked the 83 Accord much better. The Civic wagon was pretty well stripped... although it did have a rear glass defroster and air conditioning. There was no factory radio, no power steering or power anything. AFAIK, the wagons were only available in 'GL' trim.

I bought the car from a Honda dealership with 59k original miles (in 2003) and in near showroom condition. The driver's seat fabric showed the only visible wear and the paint was a bit faded in some areas. I had all of the hoses, belts, fluids, filters, brakes, tires, etc. replaced and the car was running like new (it actually drove just fine right off the lot, but was a little rough). There were just a couple of small leaks that needed to be fixed and the AC just needed to be converted and charged. The carb checked out fine. I drove the car regularly for over a year without a single problem. Never underestimate the dependability of those old CVCC engines...w/ carburetors and all!

I attended a lot of car shows with it and even landed a spot in the overseas auto magazine 'Intersection'.

I sold the car and bought the much nicer 83 Accord SE. I don't know what ever happened to the 83, but the 81 Civic is only several miles up the road from me and is STILL running today. The car now looks a bit rough as the owner has used it as a daily driver for nearly five years and has not kept it in a garage. Nevertheless, I still see the car running right along on a regular basis when I'm out and about.

This was the picture that appeared in the magazine:

This is what the car looks like today:

1990 Honda Accord LX coupe
130,XXX miles

1989 Honda Accord LX sedan
186,XXX miles

1998 Lexus GS400
170,XXX miles

1992 Cadillac Allante
70,XXX miles

2013 Kia Optima LX
8,xxx miles
post #12 of 14 Old 04-04-2009, 07:56 PM
banned

ItsaHonda and All:

That '81 Wagon is a CLEAN MACHINE! Forgive me, but I can't help but LOVE it, Sir!

To those of you who are "of age," old enough to remember...else have studied the auto history texts...

Sir Alec Issigonis designed/created the original Austin "Mini Cooper," which debuted in 1959. It is the ORIGINAL, FWD "Econo-Box." In "S" trim, the "Mini Cooper" is a "Pocket Rocket," flying like a bat out of Hell, instantly changing direction, and stopping on the proverbial dime. And you can almost forget about stopping at a gasoline station.

Honda WISELY copied Sir Alec's design, when they created the original Civic. They took a great concept...and made it even BETTER.

I am extremely partial to SMALL cars. Yeah, they do NOT work for everyone...especially those with family situations...along with those who are (substantially) obese.

WISH I had my '83 Civic Hatchback....BACK. I'd stuff it with an injected "B" motor...then terrorize my entire neighborhood. <SMILES>
post #13 of 14 Old 04-25-2009, 05:16 PM
4th Gear

Check for vacuum leaks first. Does the car hold idle when its in the warm up stage?

1989 Honda Accord LX:
167,5xx miles
Rear disk brakes
City: 24mpg
Highway: 37mpg
post #14 of 14 Old 05-04-2017, 10:19 AM
My First Post

i notice on my 86 accord the car runs fine cold but as soon as the choke plate opens up it start to studder and idels really low and dies Can anyone help me?

86 Accord idles good when cold but dies when choke plate opens up

My 86 accord sedan 5 speed manual starts up perfect idles a little high but as soon as the choke plate opens up rpms drop and it starts spuddering and dies> can anyone give me any pointers on where to start. Thanks guys'

Last edited by namegoeshere; 05-04-2017 at 04:16 PM. Reason: merge
Advertisement

Tags
1986, idle, stall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.