Reasonable cost to repair passenger seat air bag sensor? - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-25-2013, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Old_school

Reasonable cost to repair passenger seat air bag sensor?

Hi - I'm new here and this is the first post for me.

I've got a 2002 Accord LX with 141,000 miles on it. Original owner. The car has been good and has seen two teenage drivers through the bumps & scrapes of highschool driving. Recently, the SRS light came on and stayed. I took it to a shop I trust and had them diagnose the issue. I don't recall the exact code, but they told me it was the sensor in the passenger seat. ( I believe he said the back of the seat). Also said that it was a lot of labor to disassemble and that there were two types of sensors and they wouldn't know which one to order until they took it apart. We'd be with out the car for 4 or 5 days and the price tag was estimated at about $1000. Ouch!

I want to get this fixed so my kids are safe, but I'm a DIYer and if possible, I'd like to repair it myself or at a minimum get a reality check on the price for the shop to repair it. Should it really cost that much?

What about swapping the seat with one from a wrecking yard? I realize that you don't know what your getting in that situation, but hey...

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
SD

Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-26-2013, 07:32 PM

If the SRS light is on, then this is one of, I believe two, known seat belt issues. If it's on the buckle side of the driver's seat then it's free to replace at the stealership as it is a safety recall issue from Honda.

Be aware though, that the dealership will want to charge a diagnosis fee to determine what the actual issue of the problem is. I've heard this diagnosis fee ranging in price between $50 - $130. However, if the dealership finds that the cause of the SRS light being on is the buckle, then they will waive the fee. If it's something else, they'll let you know what it is and ask you if you want to continue with the repairs. If that's the case though, you'll know exactly what the problem is and if it's something you can handle yourself, you can fix it yourself for 1/4 of the cost of the stealership!

2000 2dr. v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Greddy MX Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Eibach Pro Springs | KYB-GR2 Shocks | Eibach Sway Bars | Stereo stuff

'97 Thunderbird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake | PI Cams

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness
post #3 of 6 Old 03-26-2013, 07:47 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDsDontBurn View Post
If the SRS light is on, then this is one of, I believe two, known seat belt issues. If it's on the buckle side of the driver's seat then it's free to replace at the stealership as it is a safety recall issue from Honda.

Be aware though, that the dealership will want to charge a diagnosis fee to determine what the actual issue of the problem is. I've heard this diagnosis fee ranging in price between $50 - $130. However, if the dealership finds that the cause of the SRS light being on is the buckle, then they will waive the fee. If it's something else, they'll let you know what it is and ask you if you want to continue with the repairs. If that's the case though, you'll know exactly what the problem is and if it's something you can handle yourself, you can fix it yourself for 1/4 of the cost of the stealership!
everything he said is spot on. let the dealership look at it. and let us know how it turned out.

2013 Accord EX-L Basque Red (hers)
2009 Tahoe LT (mine)

post #4 of 6 Old 03-30-2013, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Old_school

Unhappy Took it to the dealership

took it in to the dealership where we bought it. It wasn't the seatbelt latch. It's the occupancy sensor in the passenger seat cushions just like the first non-dealer shop diagnosed in my first post. They are ordering the parts and then they'll have it ready on Tuesday. Parts $630+ and labor comes out to $980 something. Said they'll knock 10% off the bill. So, I'll come out $200 cheaper than the first non-dealer quote.

I'll let you know when I pick it up and we're done.

Thanks,
SD
post #5 of 6 Old 03-30-2013, 09:39 PM
KH
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdickersontx View Post
took it in to the dealership where we bought it. It wasn't the seatbelt latch. It's the occupancy sensor in the passenger seat cushions just like the first non-dealer shop diagnosed in my first post. They are ordering the parts and then they'll have it ready on Tuesday. Parts $630+ and labor comes out to $980 something. Said they'll knock 10% off the bill. So, I'll come out $200 cheaper than the first non-dealer quote.

I'll let you know when I pick it up and we're done.

Thanks,
SD

that's a lot of coin. I would have gotten it from a junkyard or online before paying that. The occupancy sensor shouldn't be a bad install either... easily a DIY I believe.

EDIT: may be covered under an extended warranty for Honda, under a TSB:

~Kevin
'03 NHBP Coupe 6-6, XLR8 V2 j-pipe, Borla stainless exhaust, Ingalls Torque Damper, TL-S Swaybars, Neuspeed short shifter, Eibach Pro springs, Wicked Tuning camber arms, '12 Coupe 18s with 235/45/18 tires, OEM Replica Spoiler, LED tails, exLED Interior Lights projector HLs, GTA Car Kit (iPhone and aux)
post #6 of 6 Old 03-31-2013, 09:09 PM

That's a butt load of money! I would have just had the dealer diagnose it for me and done the work myself! Especially since there's a PDF out there on how to do it.

2000 2dr. v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Greddy MX Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Eibach Pro Springs | KYB-GR2 Shocks | Eibach Sway Bars | Stereo stuff

'97 Thunderbird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake | PI Cams

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.