P1456 Evap Emission Control System leak - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 02-08-2013, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Garage
Thumbs up P1456 Evap Emission Control System leak

For years I've had the CEL come on and the code was p1456 (evap emission control system leak. Every time I took it to my Honda dealership for service, they would conduct their diagnostic test ($97) just to tell me that there is nothing wrong with the car, and I should just tighten the gas cap, "click it at least five times", said the service mechanic.

Recently the error code came up more frequently, so I decided to search the internet for a better solution that would provide a fix that would kee pthe CEL from illuminating.

I found information from another forum about replacement parts that have do do with the fuel pipe system. The things to replace are in front of the drivers side rear wheel.

Jack up your accord to replace the:
1 - canister set
2 - solenoid valve set
3 - canister vent shut valve
4 - canister filter
5 - two way valve
6 - vent pressure sensor

My guess is that those parts (senors, valves, canister) just wore out with age. My 1998 Accord has 166K miles on it. I cleared the codes and so far, I've driven 600 miles and no more CEL with the p1456 error code. I'm a happy camper. Parts were about $300 but well worth the life of my car. It will be 16 years old in July.

Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-11-2013, 05:30 AM
6th Gear

You need to find another shop which will do a more complete test per the Honda service manual. For $97 I expect your dealer just hooked up the diagnostic scanner and checked for codes. They should run a smoke test to find the leaks.

Dont start throwing parts at it till you know the problem. It could be something like a hole in the gas tank like this other member.
Changing the Fuel tank on a 02 Accord, Have some Questions

2000 Accord SE I4 F23A1 Auto - Sold miles & 10 years ownership
1998 Accord LX I4 F23A1 5 speed - sons DD in DC
1987 Accord LX 5 spd Owned for 17 years sold
1986 Accord LX Auto Totaled miles
1983 Accord LX 5 spd My Second Accord traded in
1978 Accord LX 5 spd My First Accord sold 100k
post #3 of 5 Old 02-11-2013, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Garage
nehonda,

Understood...

It could have been more than what I did to my car for sure. What I wrtote in my original post completely cleared the problem, as no other codes came up. It was pricy, but worth it. I have a great scanner now (Actron 9580) and it has more than paid for itself over time.

post #4 of 5 Old 02-12-2013, 01:29 PM
DJR
3rd Gear

I have the exact same problem. If your gas cap is not an OEM Honda gas cap, it will throw the code all the time. Even if you have the stock cap, replace it with an OEM Honda cap from the dealer. Yes it will be more expensive, but that is the same issue I have. I put on an aftermarket, Murray I believe, and it throws the code all the time. If I pull the cap off and put it back on and tighten it until it clicks like 10 times, the light will go off. Apparently, honda's only like Genuine Honda parts and it will most likely keep throwing the code until you get an OEM replacement.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-12-2013, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Garage
OEM gas caps are still cheap....
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.