Honda Accord 1999 ex bad MPG - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 11-19-2012, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Exclamation Honda Accord 1999 ex bad MPG

I've had this Honda for a while just reached 15k miles. It's a 4 cylinder
I noticed that the MPG has decreased badly, I haven't really had the money to fill it up all the way and I only use it about 2 times a week for school,but from the last 3 times I have added gas it has been decreasing.
The first time i started checking I put in $20 and it got about 4.3 gallons and it gave me about 70 miles which is about 16mpg

The second time I put in 20 which was 5 gallons and it have me 90 miles which is 17mpg

the last time I put in 8 dollars and it gave me 2 something gallons and right about now It's at the empty line and has only given me 20 miles so far.

I don't know if this is okay or not, I don't know much about cars, but I recently got a new air filter, new spark plugs( gapped at 0.44) and I have added fuel injector cleaner too.

Could my alignment be affecting it cause it's kind of bad right now

Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-19-2012, 09:16 AM

You need to fill the car up, drive it until the gas guage is at least half full, and then fill it up again. Divide the miles driven on the fillup by the gallons used.

Also, what part of the world do you live in? If it's anywhere where it gets cold in the US, you may be using winter blend fuel which can/will decrease mpg's.

2014 MSM Accord Sport Sedan 6M
post #3 of 23 Old 11-19-2012, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaks2k View Post
You need to fill the car up, drive it until the gas guage is at least half full, and then fill it up again. Divide the miles driven on the fillup by the gallons used.

Also, what part of the world do you live in? If it's anywhere where it gets cold in the US, you may be using winter blend fuel which can/will decrease mpg's.
I should try that and I live in Southern California

post #4 of 23 Old 11-19-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLEX View Post
I should try that and I live in Southern California
Calculate your mpg's the correct way and then report back. I highly doubt you have a winter blend in socal. Also you should be purchsing your fuel from

post #5 of 23 Old 11-19-2012, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Calculate your mpg's the correct way and then report back. I highly doubt you have a winter blend in socal. Also you should be purchsing your fuel from

I will try it this weekend, what I noticed too is that my gas gauge goes down more when I dont use my car
post #6 of 23 Old 11-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Greg

Quote:
I will try it this weekend, what I noticed too is that my gas gauge goes down more when I dont use my car
Most likely because the engine never gets completely warmed up on short drives. Quick 2- 3 mile runs are the worst on the car and on gas mileage.

2012 Hyundai Sonata SE Turbo

1999 Honda Accord EX Coupe - SOLD
3.0L V6
166,800 miles
35% Tint
Nokya Hyper Yellow 9006 Headlight Bulbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 23 Old 11-19-2012, 02:01 PM
5th Gear

if the mileage is actually going down, you'll want to check the spark plugs and air filter, at least.

1991 Honda Accord EX
post #8 of 23 Old 11-19-2012, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Stone View Post
Most likely because the engine never gets completely warmed up on short drives. Quick 2- 3 mile runs are the worst on the car and on gas mileage.
Damn I never thought of that, and the times I use my car it's only two times a week and I drive like 3 miles to school and 3 back
post #9 of 23 Old 11-19-2012, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrouch View Post
if the mileage is actually going down, you'll want to check the spark plugs and air filter, at least.

already changed the spark plugs and air filter, next to change are gonna be the spark plug wires.
post #10 of 23 Old 11-20-2012, 06:09 AM
Second gear slammer!

try warming it up while you get ready, and see if that changes it. its running in closed loop probably the entire way when it isnt up to temp..

99' Ex-l coupe v6 *black current pearl. R.I.P.
00' ex coupe 5spd. *san marino red
86' hatchback lx-i 5spd *silver metallic (toy)

91 Prelude Si B20A5 frankenproject!!!

04 Accord Coupe 6-6 Satin Silver Metallic (daily)

"when i fill my tank i go to stop and shop,to the rice aisle, pour in that uncle bens white rice. SON! the stuffs better than 110k"
post #11 of 23 Old 11-20-2012, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaccordcoupe View Post
try warming it up while you get ready, and see if that changes it. its running in closed loop probably the entire way when it isnt up to temp..

What is closed loop?
post #12 of 23 Old 11-20-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
What is closed loop?
That means the cat converter isn't getting to operating temp. This is bad for gas mileage.

"Warming up" your car is only going to decrease mpg's because you're wasting fuel while it's idling. How far is your average commute?

post #13 of 23 Old 11-20-2012, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
That means the cat converter isn't getting to operating temp. This is bad for gas mileage.

"Warming up" your car is only going to decrease mpg's because you're wasting fuel while it's idling. How far is your average commute?
I usually don't even warm up my car in the morning, how would it get to the operating temp? according to google going to school is exactly 3.1 mi, 9 mins
post #14 of 23 Old 11-20-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I usually don't even warm up my car in the morning, how would it get to the operating temp? according to google going to school is exactly 3.1 mi, 9 mins
It gets to operating temperature most efficiently by driving it. But, with your short commute it's probably not getting to NOT.

post #15 of 23 Old 11-20-2012, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
It gets to operating temperature most efficiently by driving it. But, with your short commute it's probably not getting to NOT.
ohh so like the other poster said, the shorter drives are the ones that are gonna hurt my mpg the most?

Advertisement

Tags
1999 ex, accord, gas, honda, mpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.