2002 EXV6L Check Engine Light - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-30-2012, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post 2002 EXV6L Check Engine Light

Problem happened yesterday. I was out in the rain and my car started funny. Idled rough but everything smoothed out. Made a couple of stops with no problem. One time when I got back in the car, it started funny again, then I noticed the Traction Control light was on and I couldn't turn it off with the button. Shortly thereafter, the check engine light came on. Just happened to be close to an AutoZone so I had them check the codes. No idea why the Traction Control light came on but it's off now and seems to be operating normally. The car runs fine now. Here are the codes:

P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305 and P0306.

I've always owned the car and do the maintenance IAW the manual. Also only put Honda parts in the car. No aftermarket mods except for the headlight bulbs. 118k miles and the plugs have been in since 100k maintenance when I did the whole timing belt/chain/whatever it is maintenance. Actually, I didn't do it my mechanic did. Some things are better left to the pros.

Anyways, I've been reading the forum and I see everything from EGR issues to valve adjustments to ECU Updates to a DryCharger. Is there some way to test things without having to start replacing things?

I'm leaning towards the plug wires and coil packs because the problem happened when it was raining. Kinda makes sense that if the wires are breaking down, high humidity would make the problem worse. They are still the original parts. I made the mistake of grabbing a coil wire that was bad once when I was a kid. Didn't take long to learn that lesson. Any advice on isolating this problem?

I don't have a code reader, but I'd like to get one that will work with my 2008 Lexus too and enable me to reset the light. Any advice out there?


This country is ours to shape. Together and forever, let us maintain that fight.

2002 Accord EX-V6L
d_taylor is offline
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-02-2012, 05:14 AM
1st Gear

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had same issue a couple weeks ago - it was coil packs

I had a very similar issue on my '02 v6 a few weeks ago. Exact same symptoms and was throwing codes for multiple misfire and misfire on two or three specific cylinders, TCS light, CEL, etc. Car was running rough right before it happened, and I was actually parked waiting to pick someone up (w/ the engine and AC running) when the lights turned on.

My mechanic ended up replacing three of the coil packs. Took some trial and error but we were basically able to confirm the issue by switching the old coil packs to other cylinders and then we would get misfire codes for those cylinders (different than the original codes). Its been running great since we installed the new coil packs. We also replaced all the plugs just in case they were causing issues as well. Ended up costing ~$500 or so which could've been a little lower had my mechanic figured out the issue right away and not changed out all the plugs, etc. I've noticed a significant improvement in fuel economy as well.

bigrig is offline
post #3 of 9 Old 10-02-2012, 03:46 PM
Moderator

CDsDontBurn's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
location: SoCal, 92220
Posts: 4,886
Thanks: 80
Thanked 136 Times in 122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_taylor View Post
Problem happened yesterday. I was out in the rain and my car started funny. Idled rough but everything smoothed out. Made a couple of stops with no problem. One time when I got back in the car, it started funny again, then I noticed the Traction Control light was on and I couldn't turn it off with the button. Shortly thereafter, the check engine light came on. Just happened to be close to an AutoZone so I had them check the codes. No idea why the Traction Control light came on but it's off now and seems to be operating normally. The car runs fine now. Here are the codes:

P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, P0305 and P0306.

I've always owned the car and do the maintenance IAW the manual. Also only put Honda parts in the car. No aftermarket mods except for the headlight bulbs. 118k miles and the plugs have been in since 100k maintenance when I did the whole timing belt/chain/whatever it is maintenance. Actually, I didn't do it my mechanic did. Some things are better left to the pros.

Anyways, I've been reading the forum and I see everything from EGR issues to valve adjustments to ECU Updates to a DryCharger. Is there some way to test things without having to start replacing things?

I'm leaning towards the plug wires and coil packs because the problem happened when it was raining. Kinda makes sense that if the wires are breaking down, high humidity would make the problem worse. They are still the original parts. I made the mistake of grabbing a coil wire that was bad once when I was a kid. Didn't take long to learn that lesson. Any advice on isolating this problem?

I don't have a code reader, but I'd like to get one that will work with my 2008 Lexus too and enable me to reset the light. Any advice out there?
I have this issue with my car as well from time to time, well the one where I get P0300 - P0306 codes, cylinder misfire and random misfire codes. I'm pretty sure that for me it's related specifically to the FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) and PCM not working correctly which results in vaporized fuel in the fuel rails and fuel lines from the tank.

The other possibility that could be causing this is a clogged EGR port, EGR passage, a failed EGR valve, and / or a failed Intake Air Control Valve (IACV).

2000 2dr. v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Greddy MX Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Eibach Pro Springs | KYB-GR2 Shocks | Eibach Sway Bars | Stereo stuff

'97 Thunderbird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake | PI Cams

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness
CDsDontBurn is online now

post #4 of 9 Old 10-06-2012, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the insight guys. I'm thinking I'm going to do the coil wires and then the coil packs. I'm the original owner on the car (it had 3 miles on it when I bought it) and I plan on driving it for at least another 10 years.

I don't like the look of the wires and coil packs from my local AutoZone. I want to either use stock Honda parts or a good solid brand. Took a look at rockauto and I wasn't sure of the name brands going to keep looking.

EGR sounds probable. I don't think I've changed it. I'll take a look at it today.

Also bought the Actron Pocketscan code reader. Easy to use and probably all I'll need unless I suddenly become mechanically inclined.

I also talked to a buddy of mine and he said the ground wire from the battery to the chassis could be causing this sort of misfire. Anyone heard that before? I clean the battery terminals at least twice a year, but I never ran down where the battery cable is connected to the chassis.

Thanks for the help.

This country is ours to shape. Together and forever, let us maintain that fight.

2002 Accord EX-V6L
d_taylor is offline
post #5 of 9 Old 10-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Moderator

CDsDontBurn's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
location: SoCal, 92220
Posts: 4,886
Thanks: 80
Thanked 136 Times in 122 Posts
If rust is common in your area, then the negative battery cable to the chassis is possible. If it is undone or the cable itself has been eaten away due to rust, look into doing "the big 3" upgrade. Do search for that here in the forum, and you'll find tons of info about it.

2000 2dr. v6 Accord, "Dirty Girl": Greddy MX Exhaust | K&N Drop-in Filter | Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT | Eibach Pro Springs | KYB-GR2 Shocks | Eibach Sway Bars | Stereo stuff

'97 Thunderbird, "Pearl": L/R 2.5in Magnaflow Hi-Flow CATs | PI Intake | PI Cams

'13 Taurus, "The Bull": 3.5L Goodness
CDsDontBurn is online now
post #6 of 9 Old 10-06-2012, 10:23 AM
Moderator

Join Date: Feb 2009
location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 5,554
Thanks: 3
Thanked 38 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_taylor View Post
I don't like the look of the wires and coil packs from my local AutoZone. I want to either use stock Honda parts or a good solid brand. Took a look at rockauto and I wasn't sure of the name brands going to keep looking.
OEM is the only way to go.

About $38 each here. There are a few other places that sell OEM parts, too.


2014 MSM Accord Sport Sedan 6M
sodaks2k is offline
post #7 of 9 Old 10-06-2012, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to know about the OEM parts. I'm a stickler for the Honda name brand. Drives my wife nuts.

Called my local honda dealer (man, they s**k) and they quoted me $65.17 each. Never said anything about there being two different part numbers and acted like total a$$es when I made the mistake of asking about the plug wires. Guess I learned a bit about COP ignition systems and they lost a customer.

Thanks for the info on rust and the big 3 reference. I haven't heard about that before. Trying to recall if I have ever had a dimming issue. It does make sense to do the big 3 if I'm in there anyways. My Honda has been so reliable I haven't had to do anything to it beyond the normal maintenance items in the owner's manual. Well, except for the engine mounts but I'm not sweating that.

I'm starting to think I should just drive the darn thing until whatever is going bad fully fails. I hate intermittent faults. Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.

This country is ours to shape. Together and forever, let us maintain that fight.

2002 Accord EX-V6L
d_taylor is offline
post #8 of 9 Old 10-09-2012, 05:14 PM
1st Gear

Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_taylor View Post
Good to know about the OEM parts. I'm a stickler for the Honda name brand. Drives my wife nuts.

Called my local honda dealer (man, they s**k) and they quoted me $65.17 each. Never said anything about there being two different part numbers and acted like total a$$es when I made the mistake of asking about the plug wires. Guess I learned a bit about COP ignition systems and they lost a customer.

Thanks for the info on rust and the big 3 reference. I haven't heard about that before. Trying to recall if I have ever had a dimming issue. It does make sense to do the big 3 if I'm in there anyways. My Honda has been so reliable I haven't had to do anything to it beyond the normal maintenance items in the owner's manual. Well, except for the engine mounts but I'm not sweating that.

I'm starting to think I should just drive the darn thing until whatever is going bad fully fails. I hate intermittent faults. Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.
Dont buy any parts yet. You are getting a misfire on all cylinders which almost certainly means its not gonna be the coils. It has to be something universal like a general electrical issue, fuel issue, or intake issue. So it could be a problem like a faulty fuel pump, issue with intake (vacuum leak, etc). faulty IACV. Its not gonna be a single item like a COP or fuel injector. The problem is that you dont have another CEL which would point you in the right direction (such as EGR fault or O2 sensor fault).

I would keep driving to make sure that it isnt an intermittent problem. Weird stuff sometimes happens after a strong rain. Do you have a code reader?
IanG is offline
post #9 of 9 Old 10-14-2012, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 21
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have taken your advise and continued to drive the car without issue. It seems like there is nothing wrong. I do have a code reader and so far, no other codes have come up. I'm about ready to erase these codes and see how things go. Thanks for the advice.

This country is ours to shape. Together and forever, let us maintain that fight.

2002 Accord EX-V6L
d_taylor is offline
Advertisement

Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to


Related pages


98 accord lug patternmichelin vs goodyearenkei gunmetalsway bar link symptomsacura tl maintenance codeschanging sway bar bushings2005 honda accord v6 timing belt replacementmtec bulbsxxr 527 0 offsetscreechy brakeshonda accord emblemhow to adjust damper on tein coilovershid projector retrofit2005 acura tl exhausthonda odyssey 2006 bluetoothtrailer hitch charlotte ncacura parts online free shipping1984 honda accord lxpower steering fluid change intervalkonig illusion rimshow much does it cost for a sunroofhonda accord automatic transmission fluid change2007 acura tl oil typexk09 bypass moduleethanol free gas los angelescheck engine light camrydw 1 automatic transmission fluidfix a scratched rim2006 honda crv common problemsremoving plasti dip from carcentral locking control module1999 honda civic ac compressorcost to replace calipersacura timing belt replacement1998 honda accord manual2002 acura tl radio coderadar cruise control aftermarket2011 honda odyssey service manual pdfvsa check engine lighthow much to replace front brake pads and rotors1998 honda accord ex specsrdx turbo enginebluetooth aux adapter best buywindshield wiper linkage bushinghonda accord 2003 v6 specsdoes dynamat worksubaru legacy v6abt lightinghonda accord 2000 srs lighthyundai santa fe suspension noisemaven shift knobpandora troubleshootingprice of coolant flush5000k or 6000k hid lightsviper window moduleshift knob and boothow to reset a honda crv radiogroup 51 battery 500 cca1999 honda civic ex catalytic converterwhat is zenex98 honda accord windshield2002 toyota camry low idlemy car is vibrating when i accelerateduragloss 902p0741 toyota corolla 2005how much does a brake job coststash spots for weedhow much does it cost to get a dent fixedcancel toyota extended warrantycostco dothan allucas additive oil35505-s84-b02honda 3.5 vtec engine