99 Accord ex transmission fluid - Drive Accord Honda Forums | radio-pro.ru
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-20-2011, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

99 Accord ex transmission fluid

Hi. I am new to the site, but i am not new to hondas. I drive a 99 honda accord with 182000 miles, its an auto, F32A1. The tranny gave out at 151,000 miles and i had a transmission repair shop rebuild. Done a good job as far as i know, no leaks, and shifts smooth. Here is my question, when they rebuilt, they filled the rebuilt tranny with dex 3 atf. They gave a 20,000 mile warenty, which has passed. I had to change the radiator
out last night and thanks to thoes awful cooler lines its a little bit low. Should i simply top off with dex 3 atf as they recomend, or drain and refill with honda Z1 atf? I do not think i would ever get all the dex 3 out if i drain, and i do not know if Dex 3 and z1will mix.

Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Greg

Hmmm.... Good question. Since the transmission was rebuilt and is still technically a Honda, I would run Z-1 still. Either that or upgrade from Z-1 to Redline or the new Honda fluid DW-1. That is my 2 cents at least.

2012 Hyundai Sonata SE Turbo

1999 Honda Accord EX Coupe - SOLD
3.0L V6
166,800 miles
35% Tint
Nokya Hyper Yellow 9006 Headlight Bulbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-20-2011, 03:24 PM

If I remember correctly, Dexron 3 is suppose to be a temporary ATF. You should do a 3x3 flush with Z1 (if still available since it's discontinued) or DW-1 (Honda's new ATF) or something compatible (e.g. Redline D4).

You won't get all the Dex 3 out, but you'll be fine

post #4 of 12 Old 12-20-2011, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Is honda's new DW-1 ATF ok to use? I didnt want to do a 3x3 flush and then the tranny start slipping or something. Is the DW-1 synthetic?

Sent from my X10a using AutoGuide.Com Free
post #5 of 12 Old 12-21-2011, 06:00 AM
6th Gear

Honda DW1 is not lableled as synthetic but it's reportably much better than the old Z1 ATF (and Dex 3). If you want a full synthetic, I hear Redline is good. The term "synthetic" is mostly an advertising gimic in my opinion since there is no standard requirements. I dont have any first hand experience with DW1 or Redline as I use Valvoline Maxlife ATF in my 2000 Accord's original transmission and it works well.

2000 Accord SE I4 F23A1 Auto - Sold miles & 10 years ownership
1998 Accord LX I4 F23A1 5 speed - sons DD in DC
1987 Accord LX 5 spd Owned for 17 years sold
1986 Accord LX Auto Totaled miles
1983 Accord LX 5 spd My Second Accord traded in
1978 Accord LX 5 spd My First Accord sold 100k
post #6 of 12 Old 12-21-2011, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Nehonda, you mentioned valvoline maxlife ATF is that a dex 3 atf or something different? I saw some in the parts store the other nite and is probably avaliable just about everywhere. The nearest honda dealer is about 90 miles away (that stocks dw-1 anyway) so it would be a while till i get over that way. It would be great to be able to find something compatible locally that i trust other than than that cheap dex 3 atf the tranny shop uses. I saw a bunch of empty bottles of napa brand, isnt that made by ashland? Same as valvoline?
post #7 of 12 Old 12-21-2011, 12:34 PM
6th Gear

Yes Valvoline Maxlife is a Dex/Merc product that is recommended for high milage transmissions including Hondas and other imports. You can read up on it on the Valvoline website. Not sure if it is the best choice for your newly rebuilt transmission.
I have heard NAPA ATF is produced by Valvoline/Ashland but I cant confirm that.

2000 Accord SE I4 F23A1 Auto - Sold miles & 10 years ownership
1998 Accord LX I4 F23A1 5 speed - sons DD in DC
1987 Accord LX 5 spd Owned for 17 years sold
1986 Accord LX Auto Totaled miles
1983 Accord LX 5 spd My Second Accord traded in
1978 Accord LX 5 spd My First Accord sold 100k
post #8 of 12 Old 12-21-2011, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I got my owners manual out and read up on ATF for hondas. It does state that you can use dex 3 only temporary. Also states that the tranny wont shift as smooth. The first 152,000 miles was on honda's atf. Since the rebuild (about 30,000 miles) and running dex 3, i cannot tell a difference at all. Tranny shifts just as smooth as before. I think i just mite stick with the dex 3. Thinking about it, what makes honda ATF's special besides its sold by honda and they recomend it and for me its a 180 mile round trip to get some (if they have any in stock!) Does anyone know of a place where you can send off fluid and have it checked? I would like to compare some numbers and see just how special this DW-1 is vs an off the shelf dex 3.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-22-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus103 View Post
Does anyone know of a place where you can send off fluid and have it checked? I would like to compare some numbers and see just how special this DW-1 is vs an off the shelf dex 3.

2014 MSM Accord Sport Sedan 6M
post #10 of 12 Old 12-22-2011, 08:47 AM

Honda ATF has friction modifiers (FM) and other additives in it, if I recall correctly, and I believe Honda ATF is a thinner fluid too. The FM give it smoother shifts vs Dex 3. Perhaps that's why Honda says Dex 3 is a temporary fluid?

Several people here have switched to Redline D4 which has less FM in it than Z1/DW-1 and like the quicker/crisper shifts it offers. If you've had no problems with Dex 3, then it's up to you whether to keep it or not.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-22-2011, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thanks for the link to blackstone. Here is what I plan to do. Just for the heck of it, I ordered 2 kits from blackstone. I am going to pull a sample from my tranny with DEX 3 and 30,000 miles on it, and a sample from my mothers Honda Pilot which the owners manual says it has DW-1 in it, and 28,000 miles. I will send both of them off and see which has the best numbers. I would think the DW-1 would. I will post results when they come in. Thanks for all your help!

Eric Moore
1991 Honda Accored EX (RIP)
1999 Honda Accord EX
2009 Dodge Ram 4X4, Yea its got a hemi!
2009 Toyota Camry SE V6
1982 Ford 1700
post #12 of 12 Old 03-19-2014, 12:45 PM
1st Gear

Bringing this one back from the dead! I have a 99 Accord LX 4cyl/auto with 189k in need of a trans fluid change. Is there any compelling reason NOT to run the Valvoline MaxLife fluid? In the searches I've done about half recommend Honda fluid only, and the other half recommend the MaxLife. I'll be doing the 3x3 change since I have no idea when the last fluid change was done, I bought the car last summer and have only put about 6k miles on it.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.